MC: A Couple Thoughts On Jayson & Sky & Matchroom & Fans

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it all comes down to sports where the crowd noise drowns out any single comment. Noise is fine in my opinion, but being able to hear fans make direct comments is the distracting part. How many times have we heard the fans address the players by name and make comments about their shoes,etc? At a MLB game, the hitters hear a drowning of noise, not a bunch of singular, personally directed comments.

Ian

Very good point.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The problem with the Euro crowd is that they are not cheering, its the idiots making dumb noises and hearing them shout out "Europe" in the most annoying way possible, kinda sounds like the same person all day. I am pretty sure he just wants to watch the MC stream and hear his voice is all. I would be happy if I could hear the commentary without the crowd noise instead of muting the sound. I doubt it bothers the players that much, when you are concentrating on something noise just kind of fades away. I especially miss Corey being called "Jule":smile::smile::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it all comes down to sports where the crowd noise drowns out any single comment. Noise is fine in my opinion, but being able to hear fans make direct comments is the distracting part. How many times have we heard the fans address the players by name and make comments about their shoes,etc? At a MLB game, the hitters hear a drowning of noise, not a bunch of singular, personally directed comments.

Ian

Yes great point. In league play if someone close by is loudly talking, it usually isn't a problem for anyone unless that person is talking about the shooter and/or that particular game. The rest is white noise and easy to filter out.

mudball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ian

MLB is notorious for personally directed comments. In the outfield, in the batters box, at the plate. It's part of the game though. Below is a beautiful example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfr2G2pMtnY

Personally, after watching the conditions the Filipinos gamble in day in and day out I believe our tolerance levels as a whole need to be elevated. When you are in the zone it doesn't matter. Skylar has been a perfect example of that. We are seeing high level pool in a hostile environment and it has everyone talking. That is a win for the sport.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MLB is notorious for personally directed comments. In the outfield, in the batters box, at the plate. It's part of the game though. Below is a beautiful example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfr2G2pMtnY

Personally, after watching the conditions the Filipinos gamble in day in and day out I believe our tolerance levels as a whole need to be elevated. When you are in the zone it doesn't matter. Skylar has been a perfect example of that. We are seeing high level pool in a hostile environment and it has everyone talking. That is a win for the sport.

These are good points but I still see 2 differences.

1. In baseball, a single heckler can only take the overall noise from a 60 to a 70 for example. In the mosconi cup, its dead silence and a single heckler can take it from a 0 to 70.
2. Baseball is a reaction game where pool and golf are stationary. In baseball, when a fly ball is hit, the outfielder reacts and bomb going off could not be heard by him why chasing down ball. In pool and golf, you address the ball and hit when ready. Tiger woods couldn't play good golf with a horn in his backswing.

Either way, I love the excitement of the Mosconi cup.

Ian

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with the Euro crowd is that they are not cheering, its the idiots making dumb noises and hearing them shout out "Europe" in the most annoying way possible, kinda sounds like the same person all day. I am pretty sure he just wants to watch the MC stream and hear his voice is all. I would be happy if I could hear the commentary without the crowd noise instead of muting the sound. I doubt it bothers the players that much, when you are concentrating on something noise just kind of fades away. I especially miss Corey being called "Jule":smile::smile::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

Yelling “Euuuu-rope” is a bit of a tradition. It’s definitely more than one person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have been enjoying this 2018 MC and the possibility of Team USA breaking the long drought is especially appealing.

Watching, Jayson on day one acting like a madman after, and sometimes even during, each rack as stated earlier was a bit much for me. I don't know but am guessing that he's aware of some unfavorable response across social media and has toned it down some. I will also guess that Matchroom encourages big emotional behavior as it probably helps with ratings. Adding to my already brimming amount of speculation would be I wouldn't be at all suprised to learn that some of the more outlandishly attired and vocal fans in attendance were placed there by Matchroom. :eek: :ignore: :shocked2: And for the record, if they did plant some of those people in order to increase ratings, I'm perfectly okay with it. Whatever can be done to boost our sport (within reason) is fine with me. :cool:

So, with all of that said, maybe don't be so hard on old Eagle Eye. He's an emotional fellow to start with and perhaps with a little Matchroom encouragement he ran too far with it. Looks like he's getting a taste of humble pie with some uncharacteristic misses and losses, anyway.

Just a quick thought on our boy Skylar. This kid can play like a champ and his demeanor, well, we can all take a lesson watching him, imo. When he messes up he takes his seat and keeps a smile on his face even while probably thinking 'damnit all'. And when a team mate messes up he offers encouragement like "don't worry, it's all good." A lot of class for such a young man and he's playing strong and representing USA in stellar fashion.

best,
brian kc
Sky's play in the first match today was as good as it gets. Ouschan wins the opening break by lagging his cue ball 1/4" from the end rail while Sky was 3/8" from the end rail. Ouschan breaks and runs his first 4 racks. Sky matches him by virtually doing the same. Then in the hill/hill game when Ouschan did not have an open shot at the 1-ball following his break, and played a safety to leave Sky a jump shot on the 1-ball, he nailed it and ran out for the win! Maybe the best short race match I've ever seen - neither player missed a shot in the match.

As for Shaw, likely only due to his team's 10-6 deficit, he seemed much more subdued and respectful today in winning his match over Styer.

I see 4 of our 5 players returning to this event in the coming years, with likely Corey Deuel as the only player that might be replaced. His miss on a in 8-ball shot today, on those pockets, when he was trying to match Niels game for game was hard to swallow. With the angle he had, there was absolutely no reason at all for him to cheat the pocket to attempt to get better shape on the 9-ball - he just missed it that badly.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Shaw

Have been enjoying this 2018 MC and the possibility of Team USA breaking the long drought is especially appealing.

Watching, Jayson on day one acting like a madman after, and sometimes even during, each rack as stated earlier was a bit much for me. I don't know but am guessing that he's aware of some unfavorable response across social media and has toned it down some. I will also guess that Matchroom encourages big emotional behavior as it probably helps with ratings. Adding to my already brimming amount of speculation would be I wouldn't be at all suprised to learn that some of the more outlandishly attired and vocal fans in attendance were placed there by Matchroom. :eek: :ignore: :shocked2: And for the record, if they did plant some of those people in order to increase ratings, I'm perfectly okay with it. Whatever can be done to boost our sport (within reason) is fine with me. :cool:

So, with all of that said, maybe don't be so hard on old Eagle Eye. He's an emotional fellow to start with and perhaps with a little Matchroom encouragement he ran too far with it. Looks like he's getting a taste of humble pie with some uncharacteristic misses and losses, anyway.

Just a quick thought on our boy Skylar. This kid can play like a champ and his demeanor, well, we can all take a lesson watching him, imo. When he messes up he takes his seat and keeps a smile on his face even while probably thinking 'damnit all'. And when a team mate messes up he offers encouragement like "don't worry, it's all good." A lot of class for such a young man and he's playing strong and representing USA in stellar fashion.

best,
brian kc

Since the Cup is entertainment, I expect this, but Humble pie in the long run makes the greats play even better. I also want to thank the Refs, they did a great job.
I watched JS play in the 2017 US Open finals against the ''mentally spent'' up/down/walk around Kaci who milked the time clock toooooooooo much. Even at the age of eighteen, the body may hold up, but the mind ''wore down''. Shaw was a gentleman/respectful, once the final ball was potted he did act out, in a manner expected in this moment and he held his daughter and hugged his wife.
The real talk during the Open and acting out was about Filler, who was playing GOOD. But too me, his youth, and as many players do when in dead punch, they act out their ego to get action.
I was told that Filler gave Aranas 3 on the wire going to 11/Ten ball, and it was back and forth till Filler ran a 7 an out to get the cash.
Few know this, during the last part of the Open, Shane's grandmother passed, he then ran a 7 pack against someone, then his game came apart..
The cup was fun too watch and I look forward to 2019.