RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low demand?
Bad marketing?
Too hard to produce?
Too many refunds?
Never reached critical mass?
No longer Royce's baby. Or anyone's baby?

Just my take but when Royce was there HE ran the place. When he passed it seemed like there were too many cooks in the kitchen. No real direction. They have a nice facility in Plano. Hope to see someone take it over.

Shortly after Royce died, whoever was in charge fired Royces widow.

I dont know their inner business dealings, but that in and of itself was an indicator to me that the standards set by Royce were going to fall by the wayside.

Fast forward, they brought in Dale Perry for advice on how to increase production etc. Another indicator that they were in trouble.

Shane Sinnott (sp) retired/quit earlier this year. I think that was pretty much the last nail in the coffin.

Sad outcome IMO, they had opportunity to have a large share of the LD shaft market as an American made option, when the top dogs are mostly made overseas.

Limeymc

Registered
Great I paid for a shaft and was waiting for it to be delivered. Hope I get a refund

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love my OB shafts. Shame if true.

Ditto. I have an OB Pro+ on my Lucasi that I just re-tipped with an Ultraskin ivory medium, plays so good! Also have a 30" OB Pro+ 'custom' on my Schon SP with Zan medium (weird thing is the pin is not completely/radially centered...if I roll the cue on the table it wobbles and you can feel the offset with your fingernails--yet it plays straight with no issues). <-- maybe this is part of the quality control decline, as it is my newest shaft

OB shafts are what I would look to first if not using a good brand-specific shaft/butt combo that I already like, examples:

Mezz = WX900 is top preference (EX-Pro or WX700 work great too)

McDermott = G-Core is top preference (although have an iPro slim)

Meucci = the Pro or the Ultimate Weapon...50/50 toss up

Joss = Joss standard maple shaft (also use 11mm snooker-tapered Players shaft on it from time to time)

Viking = Vikore is top preference for looks (matching collars) and good performance

Predator = Z3 (stock or S-tuned)

Seaspook

Has-Been
.if you paid for something on your credit card or PayPal invoice....you are covered for a chargeback. On a debit card payment...you are SOL.

I am waiting for a warranty repair / replace..... I guess I am screwed.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Also have a 30" OB Pro+ 'custom' on my Schon SP with Zan medium (weird thing is the pin is not completely/radially centered...if I roll the cue on the table it wobbles and you can feel the offset with your fingernails--yet it plays straight with no issues). <-- maybe this is part of the quality control decline, as it is my newest shaft

That's actually a "feature" of Schon cues from what I've heard; they don't quite line up right with aftermarket shafts.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huh?

That's actually a "feature" of Schon cues from what I've heard; they don't quite line up right with aftermarket shafts.

I have a few Jacoby Edge Hybrids and a Cuetec Cynergy that roll perfect on all my Schon cues. Not sure what type of “feature” you are talking about as I have never had an issue with any I have tried.

As far as OB shutting down, I hope its not the case. I have a jump cue from them that i absolutely love and a break cue I really like. I had a few warranty issues on the break cue shaft but they always took care of the problem and their customer service was very nice and helpful. Good customer service goes a long way for me.

Last edited:

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my friends shared this with me earlier today.....

Attachments

• 71673841_1047293442275983_5213438609071276032_n.jpg
    71673841_1047293442275983_5213438609071276032_n.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,128

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better hold on to those OBs, boys!

They'll be as valuable as Balabushkas in a few years.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Shortly after Royce died, whoever was in charge fired Royces widow.

I dont know their inner business dealings, but that in and of itself was an indicator to me that the standards set by Royce were going to fall by the wayside.

Fast forward, they brought in Dale Perry for advice on how to increase production etc. Another indicator that they were in trouble.

Shane Sinnott (sp) retired/quit earlier this year. I think that was pretty much the last nail in the coffin.

Sad outcome IMO, they had opportunity to have a large share of the LD shaft market as an American made option, when the top dogs are mostly made overseas.
That pretty much sums it up.
It's a damn shame Royce spent so much time and energy designing their cnc machines and it went for naught.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a few Jacoby Edge Hybrids and a Cuetec Cynergy that roll perfect on all my Schon cues. Not sure what type of “feature” you are talking about as I have never had an issue with any I have tried.

Agreed. My Schon LTD has a 30" Jacoby Ultra Pro skinny that fits on the butt and rolls perfect on the table as well.

The only shaft/cue combo I own that wobbles on a table roll is this one...it is all due to the placement of the pin/screw from the OB Pro+ 'custom' 30" shaft. Doesn't change how it plays straight, but is still quite annoying.

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
O B Carbon Fiber Shaft

As an OB dealer/repairman, I received my CF shaft on 9-28-19 after a 3 1/2 month wait. I ordered from Royce about 2 weeks before he retired/quit. I had tried repeatedly to cancel the order and get my money back. The answer I kept getting was that Royce is no longer here and we do not have access to any of his emails with customers.
My credit card was charged the day I placed my order, but was notified 3 days later that it would be 8 weeks before I would get my shaft. i was not very happy.

The shaft is a radial joint and I have hit two balls with it. It is available if someone would like one of the last ones shipped.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an OB dealer/repairman, I received my CF shaft on 9-28-19 after a 3 1/2 month wait. I ordered from Royce about 2 weeks before he retired/quit. I had tried repeatedly to cancel the order and get my money back. The answer I kept getting was that Royce is no longer here and we do not have access to any of his emails with customers.
My credit card was charged the day I placed my order, but was notified 3 days later that it would be 8 weeks before I would get my shaft. i was not very happy.

The shaft is a radial joint and I have hit two balls with it. It is available if someone would like one of the last ones shipped.
You do know that Royce died,right?