Besides APA, which other sanctioning bodies offer franchising?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was talking to a league member yesterday and he was telling me about the apa and franchising. I sorta knew that they sell licenses but never really bothered to investigate further.

I do question though, which other leagues allow franchising opportunities? Or is that something only know from the apa?

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
sanctioning bodies?

NAPA is franchised and has a national event for current players with their
own handicap model, then there's BCA League and it's world handicap machine - FargoRate.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's many leagues. All with the same issues.

They are a version of what pool really is.
They are all for profit corporations who foremost look to make as much as they can.
They do not concern themselves with the future of American pool.
They are the major reason pool is in the state it is now.

They are not sanctioning bodies.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They are all for profit corporations who foremost look to make as much as they can.

I would suggest this is way off base. The reason pool is in the state that it is now is due to pool players, the kind that actually don't play in leagues. They aren't even willing to get organized in any fashion. It's one of the few sports that you can't bet on in Vegas. The fact you can't get a line in Vegas says it all. Fixing, chopping up backers and the like, along with all of the other great things a lot of players do, well what else is to be said?

Ever watch snooker over across the pond? They are organized, don't put up with ANY fixing (banned for life) or shenannigans. Until pool gets to this point, it's going nowwhere in the form of main stream. Blame leagues all you want, but I'm not buying a word of it.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Because it’s true?

Leagues help keep Pool rooms profitable.
Attitudes and hustling are killing it.

Look at bowling....no more leagues and 75% are closed during the past 20 years.
AMF and Brunswick sold off to foreign investors.
Can Pool be far behind?

I would suggest this is way off base. The reason pool is in the state that it is now is due to pool players, the kind that actually don't play in leagues. They aren't even willing to get organized in any fashion. It's one of the few sports that you can't bet on in Vegas. The fact you can't get a line in Vegas says it all. Fixing, chopping up backers and the like, along with all of the other great things a lot of players do, well what else is to be said?

Ever watch snooker over across the pond? They are organized, don't put up with ANY fixing (banned for life) or shenannigans. Until pool gets to this point, it's going nowwhere in the form of main stream. Blame leagues all you want, but I'm not buying a word of it.

Oh lord, here we go again. Why must every single discussion end up with this topic?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't believe leagues are a big problem either but, I also don't believe that players dumping or whatnot is any bigger problem than leagues are.

Name a major sport where gambling is involved and I guarantee you that particular sport is "fixed" (like pool players dump) on a regular basis, just enough to be controlled but not so much to be noticed. It's organized, so to speak...lol.

Having said that^^^^^^, I hate playing in leagues. I'm not saying all leagues suck, but I am saying every league I've encountered sucked.

On the other hand, I do like to partake in a friendly wager.

Besides, if you remove "all" of the fixes it wouldn't be a true gamble. That's why slot machines are such a big gamble. Lol....they are fixed to favor the house, the same way football, basketball, baseball etc...etc is and will remain if it's to survive.

The very second a sport can't be "controlled", well, it starts losing a little here and a little there till, well, it becomes like pool.

BTW, if you want a pure event, I advise you to get involved with pee-wee football, T-ball etc...etc. Nobody really cares to fix games at that level.....as far as I know. Lol....I could be wrong.

Jeff

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because it’s true?

Leagues help keep Pool rooms profitable.
Attitudes and hustling are killing it.

Look at bowling....no more leagues and 75% are closed during the past 20 years.
AMF and Brunswick sold off to foreign investors.
Can Pool be far behind?

When pool goes under, it won't be sold to foreign investors.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
TAP league is a franchise system also. Looked into that back in 2011 prior to retirement.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Exactly.
Why give up 40 percent to a League Operator/ league corporation?
Rooms and players are getting played.

The reason that happens is because many room owner don't want the headaches or the extra work. So they take the drinks and
food they sell and maybe a couple of dollars per match to get people in. When the leagues are run in house the first thing out of peoples mouths
is they want you to put all the money in or just maybe take a couple of bucks. Is a couple of bucks per player per night worth it? If they get that.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This narrative is non-sense. Leagues are the lifeblood of American pool, and pool is doing GREAT world wide.