Why is there no stream at Suoer billiards Expo? Thoughts?

9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With one of the biggest events in pool going on right now, I was wondering why the decision was made for no stream?

They won't even let anyone facebook live any matches! Anyone know why this decision was made?

What are your thoughts on this?

I personally don't think this is good for pool! We are losing out on a great opportunity to showcase pool around the World! And losing out on potential new sponsors!

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
With one of the biggest events in pool going on right now, I was wondering why the decision was made for no stream?

They won't even let anyone facebook live any matches! Anyone know why this decision was made?

I personally don't think this is good for pool! We are losing out on a great opportunity to showcase pool around the World! And losing out on potential new sponsors!
This has been covered before. It is about money and getting paid. Streamers would set up and broadcast for the fun of it. SBE said that it wants to be paid and the streaming stopped because it was not profitable!

I don't understand why no Facebook streaming with ZERO impact on the door money! But, when someone complaints that they spent $20 to see the professionals and the guy next to him said he saw it on his phone and spent ZERO is when and why the problems start and the rules go up!

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is a poor decision, but the choice to make streaming available isn't as simple as yes or no.

I don't think sbe's decision has much to do with pool's public success/ lack thereof.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Yeah, lets just keep it in the dark ages.... streams,bracket updates, jeez, who needs em, right?

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does that matter?

This has been covered before. It is about money and getting paid. Streamers would set up and broadcast for the fun of it. SBE said that it wants to be paid and the streaming stopped because it was not profitable!

I don't understand why no Facebook streaming with ZERO impact on the door money! But, when someone complaints that they spent $20 to see the professionals and the guy next to him said he saw it on his phone and spent ZERO is when and why the problems start and the rules go up!

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I dont understand why that matters? If someone wants to watch a low quality, poor angle, non-commentated, single camera match rather then a high quality AccuStats stream then let them, but dont cut the world off because of a few hacks.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No pay-per-view streaming for the SBE professional tournaments seem to be a curious decision, based on nothing but speculation on my part. Look we all understand there are productions costs involved, but what is never revealed is the actual number of buys for a PPV event. Did 100, 1,000, or 5,000+ plunk down $24.95 for a specific event? If those numbers were ever released in an accurate fashion, maybe this whole PPV issue would become clearer. As someone who has no problem paying for a tournament stream with participants similar to what's playing this weekend, how many other people like me are out there willing to buy? If it is not enough for the PPV receipts to begin to cover the production costs, I sadly understand.

But we just don't know. Nothing makes sense. Take last year's WPS 4 event series. They offered a PPV for the first event or a discount price for all 4 events. Prior to the 2nd event, they then announce the remaining 3 events will be streamed free of charge by Unilad, one of the world leaders in internet streaming, alleged. We all know what a disaster that turned out to be for the end viewers, all the while WPS officials barking about over 1 million viewers were watching. Now with this year's 1st WPS event kicking off next week we have no Unilad; instead a $24.95 buy produced by Upstate Al. Really? Couldn't work out the Unilad problems? Instead you decide to turn your back on the alleged 1 million viewers to return to the PPV model you abandoned after one tournament last year? WTF. Does anyone see my point here?

If PPV is profitable, I don't see how it was not part of SPE. You cannot convince me having PPV would affect the gate of the event. So what else can it be? Well maybe what a good friend of mine who has been in the industry for 40+ years told me is so true - "Pool players are the cheapest SOB's walking the face of the earth".

Provide us with accurate PPV buy numbers starting next week and then maybe everything will make sense, especially my friend's statement.

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the decision is based on money but in the sense that streams allow people to watch without actually coming to the expo. Obviously the goal is to get people in the building n I think there actually is people within driving range that want to watch the pros play or maybe watch one of their local favorites n I’m sure some of these people would just as easily pay to watch a stream especially if it were an accu stats or an equivalent production. So in this instance I guess I understand why they want you to have to come to the expo to watch. Then they get a door charge plus the actual price of admission to watch. Again idk if the number of people in this group actually is big enough to matter or not but on the flip side it is a shame that some of local guys miss an opportunity to showcase their talants to a worldwide stream.

I’ll say this to be clear. Nothing in this world is perfect n unfortunately you ll never please everyone. With all that being said imo the expo is the best. The actual open event with around 1000 entrants is awesome but the best thing the expo offers is one of pools biggest reunions and gatherings of players and fans from all over the world. Not to mention the seemingly endless amount of cheap action. And all of us are just sardined together mixed in with some of the best players in the world. I literally was smoking outside 2 feet from Dennis Orcullo. N I’m one of these guys who watches tons of pool matches n these guys are my pool hero’s n I get to basically hang out w them for a weekend. So yea sure there could be potential improvements but if nothing ever changed for good or bad I’d be fine w that.

If your gathering thousands of pool fans in one building for 5 days n having tournaments that get over 1000 entrants your doing something right. IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
A bunch of folks from my pool room have gone there to play in the TAP stuff, as well as some of them playing in the Open. I would love to watch some of that, but I ain't driving there from Maine (if i did, I'd be playing) and even if it were PPV, it would have to be pretty low priced for the little time that I could watch.

But if our players could Facebook live some, all of us here at home could support our people out there. Just a shame.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member

People in the pool world should have streamed it. They are not the brightest. Greed for money is their driver. However given the robotic quality of the streams, it may be a blessing in disguise.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I would have facebooked live my match last night but y’all would have had a heart attack. I almost did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Streaming Events the cost?

You guys got any idea how much these guys charge to come in and set up for streaming events?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
No. Enlighten us.

Just from what I hear it's around $1500 base and they want you pay hotel
rooms and food and they sell streams on top of that. I'm not sure that any of that is
shared with the host.

If that the be the case, then why stream?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
rooms and food and they sell streams on top of that. I'm not sure that any of that is
shared with the host.

Then why prohibit people from doing Facebook live...?

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shared with the host.

IF that is the case then it should easily be streamed. We are talking about a major event and I don't think $2k is a bad expense. Both the promoter and the stream company need to work together to figure out how to make it work.

Streaming would be good for everyone. It would not hurt attendance at all IMO and if marketed right it can be a cash plus adventure for both i would imagine.

Not streaming is almost like the promotion team is thinking if we dont stream then people will flock to the event. Truth is without it only a small % of pool players know anything about it.

I put on event myself and think that if it was only in the $1500 range that I could figure out a way to partner up with the streamer and both of us come out better.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
IF that is the case then it should easily be streamed. We are talking about a major event and I don't think $2k is a bad expense. Both the promoter and the stream company need to work together to figure out how to make it work.

Streaming would be good for everyone. It would not hurt attendance at all IMO and if marketed right it can be a cash plus adventure for both i would imagine.

Not streaming is almost like the promotion team is thinking if we dont stream then people will flock to the event. Truth is without it only a small % of pool players know anything about it.

I put on event myself and think that if it was only in the $1500 range that I could figure out a way to partner up with the streamer and both of us come out better.

I don't disagree with your thoughts but there is always more to it than meets the eye. There would have to be several cameras a choice of multiple streams, because you might want to watch certain matches for your money etc.

I did have a conversation this week about a Direct TV deal with someone that told me that when it was said and done they broke even.

I don't see why a streaming company couldnt come to town for an event like the SBE set up, pay their own expenses and sell streams. After all if it takes the event owner paying you to do your own business, that's kind of weak or it shows the apparent level of interest which is weak.

Its the numbers of people willing to buy the stream. I can remember that pool players are such a generous lot with their money that its a sure thing set down with locktite.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Then why prohibit people from doing Facebook live...?

The only way that I would allow people to Facebook live something is if I was planning on offering streaming the next go around.
I understand your comment but from the promoter side, its just another someone getting something for free. I'd say come to the event!
Facebook Live says stay home and get the goods for free.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Straight from Allen Hopkins

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180414-152438.jpg
    Screenshot_20180414-152438.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 163