silent hits on cue ball to object ball

SHORTY WRIGHT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is it that some guys hit the ball and it makes no sound ... I tried Everything I could from Slow to real slow and I still hear a noise When I hit the cueball to the object ball 🤷🏽*♂️

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I'm glad you can hear the sound of balls hitting. Your supposed to hear it. Quit worrying about that. Hope this helps you get some sleep.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is it that some guys hit the ball and it makes no sound ... I tried Everything I could from Slow to real slow and I still hear a noise When I hit the cueball to the object ball ����*♂️
HUH??????????????? Had your hearing chk'd lately? ;) Seriously, if you want a quiet hit get some ear-plugs(or a realllllllly soft tip). Problem solved.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
How is it that some guys hit the ball and it makes no sound ... I tried Everything I could from Slow to real slow and I still hear a noise When I hit the cueball to the object ball 🤷🏽*♂️

Impossible!

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

Are you watching pool matches on YouTube?... Turn up the volume.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Insightful question

Joe Davis described his stroke as being more of a shove. That said, he also used the word drive.

7E2926F2-CD0B-4D8C-A4E9-B512717064D5.jpeg

Del Hill on YouTube uses the same word "drive". The session where he explains the dynamics, the actual stroke definitely fits the "shove" description. Ronnie O’Sullivan and Stephen Lee both describe a stroke that "bites" the cue ball. They both talk about differing amounts of pressure for different stroke types. The pressure is specific, a squeeze, not a constrictor tightening, an opposite side pincer grasp. With equal pressure on each side the added pressure never throws the cue off line. Added pressure brings more of a speed modifying control. I see some Shane Van Boening strokes where he actually seems to have a braking deceleration just prior to contact.

Each type of contact of the tip comes with its own audio signature. A ball cued with follow flees from contact and is quieter than the solid contact to the cue ball, with equal force, when applying draw. A blunted stroke deflecting anything in its path differs from the chalk gripping bite of a penetrating tip on a mission to spin a ball or hold it momentarily on a path, purposely.

Those who can’t hear the subtle tones of the music of the spheres still know the discordant sound of a miscue.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Davis described his stroke as being more of a shove. That said, he also used the word drive.

View attachment 511086

Del Hill on YouTube uses the same word "drive". The session where he explains the dynamics, the actual stroke definitely fits the "shove" description. Ronnie O’Sullivan and Stephen Lee both describe a stroke that "bites" the cue ball. They both talk about differing amounts of pressure for different stroke types. The pressure is specific, a squeeze, not a constrictor tightening, an opposite side pincer grasp. With equal pressure on each side the added pressure never throws the cue off line. Added pressure brings more of a speed modifying control. I see some Shane Van Boening strokes where he actually seems to have a braking deceleration just prior to contact.

Each type of contact of the tip comes with its own audio signature. A ball cued with follow flees from contact and is quieter than the solid contact to the cue ball, with equal force, when applying draw. A blunted stroke deflecting anything in its path differs from the chalk gripping bite of a penetrating tip on a mission to spin a ball or hold it momentarily on a path, purposely.

Those who can’t hear the subtle tones of the music of the spheres still know the discordant sound of a miscue.

The OP can't possibly be referring to draw or stun vs. topspin, can he? That's too obvious. I think he's referring to something more subtle that may sound close to silent to an observer, but to the shooter there is still a distinct sound. That's why I think he can't duplicate it. It's a different sound to an observer.

I thought he was referring to the cb hitting the ob, but if he's referring to the tip hitting the cb, then you have to bring equipment into the equation, like tip, shaft, joint, etc.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
How is it that some guys hit the ball and it makes no sound ... I tried Everything I could from Slow to real slow and I still hear a noise When I hit the cueball to the object ball ����*♂️

Buy a Digicue Blue and see how your "follow through" turns out. This parameter measures the acceleration of the cue stick through the cue ball to get a higher score. I was wondering if the device was off until I saw my teacher peg it to the highest green on every shot with "follow through" and he pegged the other parameters all the way green. It is not off, it's me. It certainly surprised me and I work on it every day. If you don't have a great stroke, I think it makes it hard to get much better.

Last edited: