Gus Szamboti 70's

sureman183

Got "Boti's" ??
Silver Member
Well said Ken. it's very hard to catch the big fish, if you never get any bait or don't take your pole out of the closet. my friend bought a very big Balabushka, after i examined it & suggested he buy it. he showed up later, examined it & bought it. any collector is going to want to inspect before buying it. if your not going to show it, then leave it in your closet, maybe someone will buy it from photo's. but i doubt it very much. best to you. Don Sherman aka Sure Man Cues

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Ok...I see the pictures are back down again. Maybe this has something to do with my having a free Flicker account and there are some restrictions after a certain time period. Do some of you that post a lot of pictures have a better idea of how to host the cue pictures?

Maybe try a free Photobucket account..that is if they still offer that.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Ok...I see the pictures are back down again. Maybe this has something to do with my having a free Flicker account and there are some restrictions after a certain time period. Do some of you that post a lot of pictures have a better idea of how to host the cue pictures?

Logdog,

On a separate note entirely.......
Your father was singularly one of the most incredible persons I have met in my entire life.
Ever.
Brilliant, professional, thoughtful, memorable.

Will Prout

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will....What a nice comment for you to make. I will pass that along. I hope things are going well for you and your family. I was confident that you were most likely somewhere on this site but I didn't know the name until now. Great to hear from you

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another big show has finished at the Billiard Expo. What was the market like for high end Gus Szamboti cues? Does anyone have any results/impressions they would like to share?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
The market has come down for basic to semi basic Szamboti and Bushkas. That said, cues that have a fair amount of work and that are in great condition still command good $ or are not being offered because there are very limited amounts of those cues and collectors don't want to give them up for reasons not only due to the market. I still think those cues will eventually bring some big $ again. When that will be is anybody's guess. If history has shown anything, with most collectables, excellence is eventually understood by all and rewarded. Szamboti's and Balabushka's ARE excellence.

Your cue is a very nice cue and though it should bring a pretty penny, you may have to wait till someone HAS to have it or you may have to sell it "at the market" (old Chicago Board Of Trade lingo :)) if you really need to sell. Wanting to sell only for top $ is not a good position to be in.

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The market has come down for basic to semi basic Szamboti and Bushkas. That said, cues that have a fair amount of work and that are in great condition still command good $ or are not being offered because there are very limited amounts of those cues and collectors don't want to give them up for reasons not only due to the market. I still think those cues will eventually bring some big $ again. When that will be is anybody's guess. If history has shown anything, with most collectables, excellence is eventually understood by all and rewarded. Szamboti's and Balabushka's ARE excellence.

Your cue is a very nice cue and though it should bring a pretty penny, you may have to wait till someone HAS to have it or you may have to sell it "at the market" (old Chicago Board Of Trade lingo :)) if you really need to sell. Wanting to sell only for top $ is not a good position to be in.
Interesting read...
I thoroughly enjoyed your perspective.

What I am seeing from attending SBE over the last 15 years and supporting my friends working their booths, are less collectors are attending the grand event. Gone are the days of the big cues coming out for the first time in a long time to see expo lighting, seeing my first Barry Box cue with the white wrap (what a beauty), old players deciding it is time to give up their playing cues (Szam's and Bushka's), maybe even grabbing and holding on to the unattended case as a collector digs deep into the booth (I had you covered Will), unwrapping new cues being delivered directly to the expo by the cue makers, watching a bidding war for a cue makers player cue and much more.

When the SBE was at VF Expo Center, there were so many vendor booths that it was always amazing to see all the different cues. This past year, I saw more people sharing the cost of the booth and doubling up when possible (sales have been down in the past).

From a sales perspective, things were slow this year with high end customs (narrow down the range to those over $10K). Of course, a few changed hands but not many as I can remember back in 2008 and 2009. I was helping in a booth again with Kenny and Gian and a few others. There were Gus’s of course but a lot more questions were directed toward the Barry’s for the first time that I can remember. I do not remember seeing any Gus cue traded hands but there were a couple of new Barry cues that went home. Prices on the Barry’s were in line or up slightly over last year’s prices. I know that in my case I still have my eyes on another Barry cue (love the Bushka Rings with silver dots in the ebony).

If the OP had attended the SBE, I am not sure he would have fared much better over what I think he may have been offered via PM’s. There is interest I am sure but I think the numbers are not as high as they were 8-10 years ago. As a Szamboti owner, I have an interest of where the market is headed.

All the best in your decision and that is a pretty Gus.
Myron

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Interesting read...

What I am seeing from attending SBE over the last 15 years and supporting my friends working their booths, are less collectors are attending the grand event. Gone are the days of the big cues coming out for the first time in a long time to see expo lighting, seeing my first Barry Box cue with the white wrap (what a beauty), old players deciding it is time to give up their playing cues (Szam's and Bushka's), maybe even grabbing and holding on to the unattended case as a collector digs deep into the booth (I had you covered Will), unwrapping new cues being delivered directly to the expo by the cue makers, watching a bidding war for a cue makers player cue and much more.

When the SBE was at VF Expo Center, there were so many vendor booths that it was always amazing to see all the different cues. This past year, I saw more people sharing the cost of the booth and doubling up when possible (sales have been down in the past).

From a sales perspective, things were slow this year with high end customs (narrow down the range to those over $10K). Of course, a few changed hands but not many as I can remember back in 2008 and 2009. I was helping in a booth again with Kenny and Gian and a few others. There were Gus’s of course but a lot more questions were directed toward the Barry’s for the first time that I can remember. I do not remember seeing any Gus cue traded hands but there were a couple of new Barry cues that went home. Prices on the Barry’s were in line or up slightly over last year’s prices. I know that in my case I still have my eyes on another Barry cue (love the Bushka Rings with silver dots in the ebony).

If the OP had attended the SBE, I am not sure he would have fared much better over what I think he may have been offered via PM’s. There is interest I am sure but I think the numbers are not as high as they were 8-10 years ago. As a Szamboti owner, I have an interest of where the market is headed.

Myron

What you describe is one of the main reasons I haven't gone to a show in over 10 years. Hopefully we'll get to see some good ole days before we're too old to enjoy them.

Be well Myron!

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was an interesting insight to the current high end cue market. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience so everyone can learn and benefit from it

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Interesting read...

Myron

Tried to give you more rep, but need to spread around more first.
Hope all is well.
Will Prout

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Checking back in every 6 months or so to see what the current market atmosphere is for high-end Gus Szambotis. Any news?

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The collector car market is flat and trending down just like big cues. Best put that bad boy in your will and forget about it.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Checking back in every 6 months or so to see what the current market atmosphere is for high-end Gus Szambotis. Any news?

I'd say no substantial change from 6 months ago but with a world-wide economic slowdown looming, who knows how collectible cue purchases will be affected going forward. Market value is market value. There are only so many potential qualified buyers for a cue like yours and I don't think anyone uninformed would purchase your cue. YMMV.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will.... If you are going to be at the Derby tomorrow (Saturday) I might be stopping by. Send me your number in a private message and I will call you if I make it there. I will bring my Gus and let you evaluate it for me. I know you saw it about 35 years ago so this should refresh your memory :)

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Logdog,
I didn’t go to Derby this year.
A bit of a family medical thing going on, and decided to stay close to home.
Will