Joint question

puckdaddy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering what purpose this ring serves and why do some cue makers leave them visible?

Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Good question PuckDaddy ... That ring serves a very important function besides being a bit decorative.
This is what I have been told.

That is the "A" joint and the wood fibers there are faced end to end.
Wood being porous it will tend to wick the glue into its fibers and away from the joint making it harder to get a good solid bond between the two pieces of wood.
If that bond fails the cue will click or buzz when you hit the cue ball.
(Not a desirable event)
To help prevent the the wood from wicking the glue away from that joint, most cue makers will place some type of a non-porous ring there to insure a good reliable bond.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good question PuckDaddy ... That ring serves a very important function besides being a bit decorative.

Wood being porous it will tend to wick the glue into its fibers and away from the joint making it harder to get a good solid bond between the two pieces of wood.
(Not a desirable event)
To help prevent the the wood from wicking the glue away from that joint, most cue makers will place some type of a non-porous ring there to insure a good reliable bond.

The above post pretty well nails it. I can add that you can soak the wood faces with west system and let them dry. Then very lightly face them off before gluing the wrap joint together. This will in most cases eliminate end grain gluing problems. But using the ring is stll the surest way.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ring

It also gives you a nice surface to start you wrap against. :)

Mario

puckdaddy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses! I’m curious, could one extend the wrap above this point to make it looks as though the points go into the wrap?

puckdaddy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

(Not a desirable event)
So this must be the “buzz ring” I’ve heard about over the years?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So this must be the “buzz ring” I’ve heard about over the years?

Yes it can be for eliminating the buzz, but it has other functions like adding strength and you can extend the wrap over it. Some make a fairly long ring and cover it.

Last edited:

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ring

You could on any short splice cue but it's not a must have.

Mario