70 Ball Run

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Please click on this Link: http://vimeo.com/9992690

I messed up on my position on the 13th ball causing me to have poor position on the key ball by not coming off the rail enough. Which lead to a long break ball. Which, I should of made. I know that I let up on the shot b/c I was thinking that I could of been so much closer to the break ball.
Anyways, I am pretty happy with the run. I haven't had a good one like this in a while.

Last edited:

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Please click on this Link: http://vimeo.com/9992690

I messed up on my position on the 13th ball causing me to have poor position on the key ball by not coming off the rail enough. Which lead to a long break ball. Which, I should of made. I know that I let up on the shot b/c I was thinking that I could of been so much closer to the break ball.
Anyways, I am pretty happy with the run. I haven't had a good one like this in a while.

Very nice run Mike. It appears we have similar styles. Nice effort on the long break shot. I enjoyed watching, post some more when you can.

Bill

Hank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big>>70<<

MIKE,Great 70 ball run guy.Nice home room and table.A little PINK FLOYD in the back round.You have to be very happy getting it all on film and then onto AZB congratulations sir.You are an inspiration to the rest of us.>>HANK<<

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
,,, I haven't had a good one like this in a while.

"A while..." ......... you mean like only 10 weeks ago! That's almost a habit. "A while" for some of us is many years. Great shooting, Mike!

[Edit. I just noticed that the video was done on Feb. 14. That means it was only 7 weeks between 70's!]

Last edited:

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watching it right now, i stop it sometimes to write comments..

well, i think you should stay down on your shots, especially in the first rack, then in the 2nd you should have taken way more time cause the run could have ended pretty early easily. tale a look at the layout from different angles. Also i would have played the 5 as key to the 1 behind the rack instead of that side pocket break shot which almost didn´t go. when you broke in the beginning of the 3rd rack with the 7, that was risky cause no insurence ball and you sure did not know what exactly is going to happen / what you have next. at the end of the rack with tha layout i would have played 9,1,3 and 5 as breakshot. risky to scratch of the rack the way you played it and then again you broke em with no insurance ball and said : thats over....still made a tough shot but almost scratched. of course that last ball you did not draw enough but i think you clould have made the key ball with a center ball left english to get better position for the break shot, you hit it too low.

after all, i like your style, like mine...keep it up, there is more to come. you might review it and check my comments then. nice run :)

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Oh Boy...... LOL

watching it right now, i stop it sometimes to write comments..

well, i think you should stay down on your shots, especially in the first rack, then in the 2nd you should have taken way more time cause the run could have ended pretty early easily. tale a look at the layout from different angles. Also i would have played the 5 as key to the 1 behind the rack instead of that side pocket break shot which almost didn´t go. when you broke in the beginning of the 3rd rack with the 7, that was risky cause no insurence ball and you sure did not know what exactly is going to happen / what you have next. at the end of the rack with tha layout i would have played 9,1,3 and 5 as breakshot. risky to scratch of the rack the way you played it and then again you broke em with no insurance ball and said : thats over....still made a tough shot but almost scratched. of course that last ball you did not draw enough but i think you clould have made the key ball with a center ball left english to get better position for the break shot, you hit it too low.

after all, i like your style, like mine...keep it up, there is more to come. you might review it and check my comments then. nice run :)

OH Boy, I knew this coming...... LOL
Yes, I know I start up wards as soon as I make contact with the cue.
Can't seem to break that bad habit.
As, for why I choose my patterns leading up to the break shots:
2nd Rack: side pocket break. I am very comfortable with side pocket break shots. My side pocket liner on one side is loose (the reason the ball almost spun out).
The one ball was too low for a break shot to get perfect position behind it. The other type of break that I think you are talking about is cue ball above the 1 ball & coming off the bottom rail into the back of the rack. I do not like going off the rail into the back of the rack. Specially when the rack is whole. The cue ball often gets stuck inside the rack.
It is a matter of preference on what type of break shots you want to set up for your self. I believe being comfortable with the shot is very important.
I did go into the back of the rack and almost got stuck and had to let my cue ball go when I made that hard cut shot in the side pocket.
Other times that I chose to go into the back of the rack. The group of balls were loose, enough where I felt that I would not get stuck.
All in all. I let the cue ball go wild on two shots. The side pocket shot where I was stuck in the rack. And the double hit on the 15 when I try-ed to break the lump of balls on that side rail. Ended up with a hard cut shot on the 9 ball. With that shot I was in control of the cue b/c I knew that I had shots on both sides of the table and it landed where I wanted it to. So that I could work on that cluster of balls by the rail.
The side pocket break with the cue in hand instead of the 5 behind the rack. On those shots. I feel real good with ball in hand that I can hit the top of the rack with no problems. The rack usually breaks open real good with those shots.
I appreciate you watching the video. And all your comments are wanted.

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Also my thanks to: "Marop", "Hank" & "AtLarge" for their comments.
Sausage: you need to fix your computer.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
70 Ball run

You are not afraid to hit the balls hard. First break shot drew all the way up and back.

Second break shot, I thought you were using high but maybe center? the cue ball went up into the kitchen maybe after hitting the top of a ball in the rack,. I don't think you used draw on that angle, did you.

You had quite a mess on the rail during that rack but cleared it out nicely. The side pocket break had a nice key ball. I was wondering about using the one down near the bottom rail which also had an ok key ball. It looked like you were looking at it for a second.

At the end of the next rack, nice leave in the rack for a side pocket break. I thought you were maybe thinking about the behind the rack break, too cuz that layed out pretty well.

Came up just a little short on that key ball before the last break or you might still be shooting.

Some guy mentioned to me in another thread that a side pocket key located in the middle of nowhere without a good ball to get on it always poses that risk.

Very nice run. I would guess you are very experienced in straight pool. You barely hesitate on the patterns. And you are probably a good 8 and 9 ball player, too. You drill most of your long shots. Good work.

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

You are not afraid to hit the balls hard. First break shot drew all the way up and back.

Second break shot, I thought you were using high but maybe center? the cue ball went up into the kitchen maybe after hitting the top of a ball in the rack,. I don't think you used draw on that angle, did you.

You had quite a mess on the rail during that rack but cleared it out nicely. The side pocket break had a nice key ball. I was wondering about using the one down near the bottom rail which also had an ok key ball. It looked like you were looking at it for a second.

At the end of the next rack, nice leave in the rack for a side pocket brak. I thought you were maybe thinking about the behind the rack break, too cuz that layed out pretty well.

Came up just a little short on that key ball before the last break or you might still be shooting.

Some guy mentioned to me in another thread that a side pocket key located in the middle of nowhere without a good ball to get on it always poses that risk.

Very nice run. I would guess you are very experienced in straight pool. You barely hesitate on the patterns. And you are probably a good 8 and 9 ball player, too. You drill most of your long shots. Good work.

Thanks Dennis for the comment.
On both of those break shots I used draw. I like to try to get away from the rack so that I do not get stuck especially if I am on the left side of the rack. I can use follow or right follow on the right side. I feel like I have more control on the right side. I was playing the cue to go up table & bounce off the rail. The 2nd rack the cue ball stayed pretty high up table but I had about four good shots that I could of took. The 6 ball was a dead combo and it was safe to take. Always check the rack first before you take your shot at another ball and check the rack before you play a safe on your opponent before you send the cue ball up table. Also, if you noticed how I controlled my cue ball on that break combo shot.
As for patterns. I have always found it very easy to walk up to a table and observed the patterns. They just pop right out at me.
I play 8-ball & 9-ball like I play straight pool. I look for the patterns.
I believe that a 14.1 player can adjust to all the different games.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Very nice shooting.....

i find that your pace in the beginning of racks is a bit too fast then you slow down when it really counts. it seems that you let the CB loose alot, and that could be fatal. but you seem to compose yourself and work it out.

this is the first time that i have seen you shoot and dont know if this is your typical style.

i did think that in your last rack you should have played the ball in the side, travel up to the head rail and back down for the ball on the rail as the key ball. it was in a good line for the break shot and it would have been easier to control.

keep it up, and i wouldnt be surprised if you put up a triple digit soon.

Steve

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks Steve

Very nice shooting.....

i find that your pace in the beginning of racks is a bit too fast then you slow down when it really counts. it seems that you let the CB loose alot, and that could be fatal. but you seem to compose yourself and work it out.

this is the first time that i have seen you shoot and dont know if this is your typical style.

i did think that in your last rack you should have played the ball in the side, travel up to the head rail and back down for the ball on the rail as the key ball. it was in a good line for the break shot and it would have been easier to control.

keep it up, and i wouldnt be surprised if you put up a triple digit soon.

Steve

Yes, you are right about my pace & shooting a little too loose. Especially in the first rack. I walked into the game room set up the video & broke the rack just thinking that I would hit some balls around. When I got half way into the rack I said to myself. This is turning out nice & I started to get more serious.
Other times during the run. I moved the cue around to each side of the table but with always a goal in mind.
As, for me shooting like that. Yes, that is the way I play but like everyone. I have bad days and look like I never picked up a cue but those days are getting fewer & fewer. Now that I am retired from my job.
I have not played pool as much as other players and have only played pool one day a week in League play for the pass 20 years. Most of the time I play my 5 games & then head home. I have never been to Vegas to the Nationals. I would like too now that I know you all here on AZ. Would really like to meet all of you. I have played in very few tournaments in my life. Won some and took my lumps in others but those are the one's that you learn from. I like playing at home or at other players houses. I was never one to leave home for a day or two and play in a tournament. I like being around the family.
Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated. I will post more. My son down loaded this one for me.

Last edited:

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OH Boy, I knew this coming...... LOL
Yes, I know I start up wards as soon as I make contact with the cue.
Can't seem to break that bad habit.
As, for why I choose my patterns leading up to the break shots:
2nd Rack: side pocket break. I am very comfortable with side pocket break shots. My side pocket liner on one side is loose (the reason the ball almost spun out). then i would not play it
The one ball was too low for a break shot to get perfect position behind it. The other type of break that I think you are talking about is cue ball above the 1 ball & coming off the bottom rail into the back of the rack. I do not like going off the rail into the back of the rack. Specially when the rack is whole. The cue ball often gets stuck inside the rack. not if you know where you hit the rack
It is a matter of preference on what type of break shots you want to set up for your self. that´s rightI believe being comfortable with the shot is very important.
I did go into the back of the rack and almost got stuck and had to let my cue ball go when I made that hard cut shot in the side pocket.
Other times that I chose to go into the back of the rack. The group of balls were loose, enough where I felt that I would not get stuck.
All in all. I let the cue ball go wild on two shots. The side pocket shot where I was stuck in the rack. And the double hit on the 15 when I try-ed to break the lump of balls on that side rail. Ended up with a hard cut shot on the 9 ball. With that shot I was in control of the cue b/c I knew that I had shots on both sides of the table and it landed where I wanted it to. So that I could work on that cluster of balls by the rail.
The side pocket break with the cue in hand instead of the 5 behind the rack. On those shots. I feel real good with ball in hand that I can hit the top of the rack with no problems. The rack usually breaks open real good with those shots. you can scratch into the corner when you hit the side of the rack or you hit the top and can scratch 1 rail into the side, risky.
I appreciate you watching the video. And all your comments are wanted.

you are welcome my friend, of course it´s a matter of individual preference. Everybody runs a rack different and there are always many ways to break and run.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Thanks Dennis for the comment.
On both of those break shots I used draw. I like to try to get away from the rack so that I do not get stuck especially if I am on the left side of the rack. I can use follow or right follow on the right side. I feel like I have more control on the right side. I was playing the cue to go up table & bounce off the rail.

You did that break very good. Like Thorsten and some of the other Europeans play it.

The 2nd rack the cue ball stayed pretty high up table but I had about four good shots that I could of took.

I think with the angle you had on the second break shot, A follow ball would have got you a better dispersion and you would have been in no real danger of losing the cue ball. At least that is what Rempe and Sigel say.

The 6 ball was a dead combo and it was safe to take. Always check the rack first before you take your shot at another ball and check the rack before you play a safe on your opponent before you send the cue ball up table. Also, if you noticed how I controlled my cue ball on that break combo shot.

I did notice how you controlled the cue ball. I don't always do that but I was watching to see what you would do with the cue and I think you just stopped dead or a little draw, with a safety valve.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Yes

you are welcome my friend, of course it´s a matter of individual preference. Everybody runs a rack different and there are always many ways to break and run.

Yes, you are right my friend about your points, they are risky. I am not afraid to play those breaks that I played. I do know the points of the rack that will create balls coming out for other shots but if you are off a hair when hitting the rack it can cause you to get stuck. Maybe, that is why 14.1 is so challenging.

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am an offensive player myself but imagine you are at 90 and want to run 100+, would you still play that way ? or better do you think you reach 100 more often that way or another way ? i think a mix of both is not too bad.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
I will do better

i am an offensive player myself but imagine you are at 90 and want to run 100+, would you still play that way ? or better do you think you reach 100 more often that way or another way ? i think a mix of both is not too bad.

Sascha: Thanks for the help, it has me thinking. "Hank" sent me the phone# for ROLANDO ARAVENA the House Pro of Amsterdam Billiards that has a DVD out & he goes over break shots & points of the rack to go into.
I will try for that 100+

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Sascha: Thanks for the help, it has me thinking. "Hank" sent me the phone# for ROLANDO ARAVENA the House Pro of Amsterdam Billiards that has a DVD out & he goes over break shots & points of the rack to go into.
I will try for that 100+

If that is the instructional he did while at Amsterdam Billiards, I have it.

Maybe I will convert and upload it.