Jump Cue ... info needed.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I feel its time to make myself a good jump cue and learn how to use it.
Frankly, I know very little about their mechanics.
Length, weight, taper, tip, are all factors that obviously are a big influence on performance but what has been found to work best?

If you dont want to share info publicly please send me a PM.

When you make a jump cue what factors do you consider most contributes to its performance?
In other words ... what makes a jump cue ... jump?

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
minimum legal length is 40 in........... I use a regular tapered shaft with a tip 13 to 14mm........... I like a phenolic ferrule with a white diamond tip........... shaft is 29 inches and handle is about 12 inches....... finished weight is 9 to 10 oz........... they jump because everything actually compresses when hit and is flexible......... the shaft, ferrule, tip, the cloth, slate and the ball................................. see you tube videos for instructions

Kim

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The lighter the better to a point. I do not know where that point is. But a three ounce cue could jump a ball a 1/4" away but would not make long jump shots very easily. The harder the tip the better unless you want to control the cue ball a little better. But that sacrifices some jumping abilities. You will just have to find what works best for you. That happy medium is all personal preference.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most jump cues are fairly similar. Light weight, stiff shaft, hard ferrule material and a hard tip. If you use purpleheart as a shaft material, you can choose a thinner tip diameter or a slimmer taper. For maple you want a stiff taper and atleast a 13mm tip diameter, mine are 13.2mm.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
41 inches, 13 mm or a little over with a stiff taper, hard ferrule material and a hard tip.

"I think most of the posts agree on the basics of a good jump cue but, to me, the stiff taper is crucial.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Thanks, Kim, Chris, Rhino, and Kim Bye for your input.
Am in the process of turning wood at this time to put one together.
There are times, in the game of pool, when a jump cue is the logical tool for the problem.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Played with my new jump/break cue Sunday.
It jumps just fine as all five shots I made with it got the cue ball clear of the obstructing ball without fowling.
I actually made a cut shot with it that pocketed the object ball ... :thumbup: ... but scratched also ... :frown: ...
I can see that just like any other part of the game practice will be required to use this new tool with confidence.