A heads up about a player that refused to pay......johnny nguyen

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every pool player has been stiffed before! Then you wise up or quit gambling. I used to play guys, pay after two games! So if you're playing $5 9-Ball, you pay up after you're stuck $10. That way the most you can get stiffed is two games and those are usually the air barrel games anyway. If I played for ten a game or more it was pay as you go, game by game. I never minded getting stiffed for one game after getting a guy stuck (like winning 50 or 60 at ten a game). It was good business to just tell him to forget it! :cool:

That was the days of walking money Jay. God I'm getting old. Does Greyhound even exist?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There used to be a guy here in Tulsa who was famous/infamous for this saying: "If they don't make you post, bet HIGH." If you were ever around the Tulsa pool scene for any length of time you'll probably have a good idea of the author of this and many other classic lines.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Putting the money on light doesn't work either...We had a money game going on years ago in Modesto, money was posted on light..$7,000.....The guy from out of town grabbed money off light, ran for the door and his big body guard blocked the door until he got away...Money on light has flaws also....

Pangit

Banned
I agree it's pretty weak when someone doesn't pay or acts like they don't know what you're talking about. I know one or two of them and one is always on AZ. I won't bring up his name but IMO he is a major NIT. But, don't get me wrong I'll ride his ass every time I get the chance and if he crosses me in any way I'll start throwing his name around again.The amount bet was peanuts it's just the principle of the situation.

Please bring up his name...no need to holdback as it's Christmas time and everyone eagerly awaits the truth. You can put lipstick on a pig...
s0260.gif

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This is an age old story, but i bet gambling made you a better player, did the table have tight ass pockets too....LOL

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The first pool gambling I ever did at nine ball came at the Golden Q in Queens, NY, in about 1983 or so, and the bet was relatively small. One of the regulars there who liked me gave me the following advice: "If you gamble with someone whose ability or willingness to pay is suspect, always bet by the rack and insist on payment by the losing player after every rack. Then you can never be stiffed for more than the bet on one rack." Made sense.

Still, sorry for your bad experience and thanks for making the forum aware of it.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't really know your adversary, even posting might not help. I have personally seen guys take the post money off the light or wherever multiple times-not only taking their share but the winner's cash too. Not so long ago, a $37K post-up famously disappeared mid match. As SJM said cheap and by the game is the way to go.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
With as big as AZB is, i wonder how come we don't hear about the gamblers being stiffed or ripped off in other countries around the world;)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of Tom Ferry's rules for gambling - post ahead of time. That hold even more true if you are an outsider playing a local.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a famous match at Hard Times many years ago between Bob Hunter and Ernesto Dominguez. They both posted 6k on the light and started playing an eight ahead session of 9-Ball. The table was the first one by the front door to Hard Times. There must have been thirty people watching the match when about an hour in a black guy walked in, waved a big gun around, jumped on the table, grabbed the money off the light, jumped down and ran out the door to a waiting Caddy, which burned rubber out of there and onto the nearby 91 freeway and disappeared forever. The whole thing didn't take more than thirty seconds and everyone just sat there in shock at what they were watching.

I have no doubt it was an inside job with someone tipping off the gangsters what was going on and where. I'm pretty sure this guy would have shot anyone trying to intercede, but no one did fortunately. There was maybe thirty minutes of knashing around about what to do, but no one could do anything now. The money was gone! I told them both they could have put the money in the safe upstairs but I guess they thought on the light was good enough. They finally decided to continue the match and raised another 4K each and we put that in the safe. I think Hunter won, but of that I'm not certain. I just remember the robbery part. :sorry:

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those wondering each set was worth $200....race to 7, 2 ahead.

What led me to play on credit was the fact that everyone in the building acted as if this guy was as good as gold. Not to mention, he gambles with others for much higher stakes on a regular basis and is thought of as "having money" by most I talked to. I guess you just never know?

After what happened the bartender and a few onlookers said they could not believe it cause he is such a good guy and all. Well, he was not a good guy that night.

Me, I'm not a high stakes gambler in general. I like to keep the stakes modest for this very reason. To be honest I like to grind games out at $20 a rack and pay at the end of each rack but you do not see that where I am from due to the only people willing to play are known to stay broke and the ones that have the cash on hand will not play long enough to make it worth leaving the house. This entire paragraph is among the TOP reasons I have a table at home. I love most any kind of pool but hate ALL BS.

I knew when I posted the thread I was gonna hear "it's your own fault for not posting".......etc..etc....and I agree, I went with my gut and once again my gut was wrong.

The only reason I posted this was to give as the title states "A Heads Up" to folks that may know of him but like me do not know him very well.

Rake

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for the "Alabama State Champion" thing...

LOL.........the only reason I mentioned that was I thought some of you knew of the tournament David Rowell (spelling) ran at bumpers in Birmingham this year.

They called it the Alabama State Championship since you had to live in Alabama to play in it.

Anyways........he plays ok but not what I would call a champion by any means.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
RAKE,

Look at the bright side: you have a legit claim to being the new "ABALAMA STATE CHAMP" :smile:

LOL, saw your post after i completed mine...