Huge Action Alex Pagulayan vs Justin Hall LIVE July 31 who do you guys like ?

tommypabs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Alex's game and his demeanor while playing. I also think he brings a lot to the sport. Having said that, pool room etiquette rule #1 is you dont quit the match as a winner. It's for the losing player to decide when the match is over (within reason). They had agreed no pro-rate, which means Alex knew he may be there for days depending on how competitive the match was. If Alex decided, he didnt want to be there that long (for whatever reason) ,he could have simply offered to play a second set. That set could have had a more definitive end.... a race to 9 or so for example.
Where I come from, a guy that developed a reputation of quitting ahead, saw has action dwindle.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Alex's game and his demeanor while playing. I also think he brings a lot to the sport. Having said that, pool room etiquette rule #1 is you dont quit the match as a winner. It's for the losing player to decide when the match is over (within reason). They had agreed no pro-rate, which means Alex knew he may be there for days depending on how competitive the match was. If Alex decided, he didnt want to be there that long (for whatever reason) ,he could have simply offered to play a second set. That set could have had a more definitive end.... a race to 9 or so for example.
Where I come from, a guy that developed a reputation of quitting ahead, saw has action dwindle.

Quitting while up during an impromptu gambling session is not the same as “quitting” after winning a scheduled match.

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

not being rude but where you came from they gambled for 20k at a time? This isnt a regular match. So many variables change when $$$ are actually involved.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
respectfully disagree. Just giving my 2 cents which is worth less than a penny :)

Were they scheduled to play multiple ahead sets until whoever lost decided they didn't want to play anymore? It was advertised as one 8 ahead set with no pro-rate and that is what they played. Supposedly Alex almost backed out before it started because of the smoke.

My home room allows smoking so quite a few pros will not attend big events for that reason alone. They are making it non-smoking this year so who knows if any of the pros who were vocal about the smoke will return.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Alex & Co. was gonna make it interesting letting it go on for a few days, sorta teasing Justin. The smoke got to him so he says I'm outta here, and cleaned the tables up !lol

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You prolly would of bet there was no way Alex would walked away winner too in the 1st place right ?

Alex said he doesn't care about the money his health is more important to him than the money.

Anybody that is close to Alex these days knows how much of a health fanatic he has become.

I think most would have bet that Alex wouldn't walk away after winning so easily.
I don't doubt that Alex cares about his health and it isn't good here in Florida since the pool halls allow smoking, i can attest that it is a big difference since i moved here from baltimore where you couldn't smoke.
However all indications are that they plan on coming back and playing again, so the smoking excuse is kinda out the window.
Plus they offered to double the bet and play again right there.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't quit a winner? Fk that stupidity. I was working at the Post Office mid-70's and won some off a guy, the amount don't matter. I had told the degenerate druggie that I would play for a certain amount per game until a certain time, then win, lose, or draw I'm gone because of my work.
Time came, I was up, he said you can't quit a winner, I say okay, wait right here. I go get in my car & go home. He wasn't able to get a job like mine because he was stupid. I come back next week, walk in and there he is. I ask him if he's been waiting there all week like I told him to! lol

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't quit a winner? Fk that stupidity. I was working at the Post Office mid-70's and won some off a guy, and the amount don't matter. I had told the degenerate druggie that I would play for a certain amount per game until a certain time, then win, lose, or draw I'm gone because of my work.
Time came, I was up, he said you can't quit a winner, I say okay, wait right here. I go get in my car & go home. He wasn't able to get a job like mine because he was stupid. I come back next week, walk in & ask him if he's been waiting all week like I told him to! lol

Lol awesome

People that don’t want to get quit on should practice more so they aren’t always losing

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most would have bet that Alex wouldn't walk away after winning so easily.
I don't doubt that Alex cares about his health and it isn't good here in Florida since the pool halls allow smoking, i can attest that it is a big difference since i moved here from baltimore where you couldn't smoke.
However all indications are that they plan on coming back and playing again, so the smoking excuse is kinda out the window.

I hope so and hope there are still plenty of guys willing to bet on JH. IMO AP doesn't take games he cant win and no one has a bigger heart so for me it is impossible not to bet on him.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I know how stupid 10/6 sounds. I'm simply asking what odds will they lay if they play the exact same way he just got tortured at. Obviously it isn't even money when he got beat 8 ahead before they could turn the open sign on at the pool room.

yipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyapyipyap

For fook's sake, some shut that yapping dog up out there!!!!!

tommypabs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not being rude but where you came from they gambled for 20k at a time? This isnt a regular match. So many variables change when $$$ are actually involved.
Not rude at all!! Guys played often enough for 5k or so....in the late eighties or early nineties. I just dont understand the perspective of some. To me, looked like a hit and run. Lets not forget it sounded like Pepsi Don wasn't ready to call it quits yet either. Some folks seem okay with that. I happen to have a different opinion.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been calm, I'm just a gambler. I'm just wanting to know the line on my boy getting tortured again. Like I said, the going opinion is that Jhall is a bum who couldn't hold Alex's pool case. I'd just like to bet on the bum again but obviously there's odds to be given with the robbery that took place.

From what time I've spent around you and J.Hall I know for a fact he is being way underrated by all this 10/6 crap.

Is Alex better, even up? Not yes, but hellllll yes!

Can Alex give J the same spot again? IMO, yes. Will it be a runaway again? I doubt it.

I've seen both in gear and Alex can outrun nuts with most anyone but there are "some" that he needs to be extra careful with and that match, regardless of what happened that time will likely end same winner but much, much closer because J. Hall's gear is not that far behind Alex's.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
From what time I've spent around you and J.Hall I know for a fact he is being way underrated by all this 10/6 crap.

Is Alex better, even up? Not yes, but hellllll yes!

Can Alex give J the same spot again? IMO, yes. Will it be a runaway again? I doubt it.

I've seen both in gear and Alex can outrun nuts with most anyone but there are "some" that he needs to be extra careful with and that match, regardless of what happened that time will likely end same winner but much, much closer because J. Hall's gear is not that far behind Alex's.

If they ever play again (doubtful) I would bet the other way (on Alex). He broke Justin down fast and the psychological effect of that will last a long time!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they ever play again (doubtful) I would bet the other way (on Alex). He broke Justin down fast and the psychological effect of that will last a long time!

Trust me, I knew that.

I made money. I took Alex. I bet with two different people.

A friend was $400, with J getting the one ball spot.

The second bet was not till the 6th game in. I gave an extra ball to J (J.H's team) for $200 a game. They bet for 7 games before they wised up.

As soon as I realized J. Hall was having a super-bad day I knew I had a lock.

I did not expect it to be that bad cor J. everyone likes to talk chit but J is not far behind Alex.

Then again, it don't take much to beat someone mentally, which is what IMO happened to J.

Like you, I know what's-What but I also know on the right day (J in high gear......alex having SO SO day), J would beat Alex with that game.

IMO,

Rake

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope so and hope there are still plenty of guys willing to bet on JH. IMO AP doesn't take games he cant win and no one has a bigger heart so for me it is impossible not to bet on him.

There are people that will. Timing is the issue here. J.Hall said it best in his FB post about what happened and how it stands.

If Alex wants more of their money he better get it now. If they wait very long the game will be adjusted to a point where Alex couldn't win which means he wouldn't play.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

CM - Where do you play, Stroker's?

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member

While I don't know about Alex being a "bigger" favorite the second time around because of the psychological factor, I do believe he would beat Justin because he is simply a better all around player. Justin has a bit of a wavy stroke.. Alex's is rock solid, built on the snooker table.

But I also believe that Justin played significantly under his speed in this match. Alex didn't really have to pull out his worldkiller speed to beat Justin.

And for that reason, if I was Justin's backer right about now, I'd be taking a good long look at my horse. That was NOT the same player who double-dipped Tony Chohan in a finals recently. And he was playing on his pet table. There was absolutely no "legit" reason for him to get drilled that quick.

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
There are people that will. Timing is the issue here. J.Hall said it best in his FB post about what happened and how it stands.

If Alex wants more of their money he better get it now. If they wait very long the game will be adjusted to a point where Alex couldn't win which means he wouldn't play.

I doubt there will be an adjustment. Everyone around that table knows that JH played a ball or two under his normal speed. The spot was actually fair if JH didn't dog his brains out.