Dan Gartner Info Wanted

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am seeking information on Dan Gartner known to some as the Young Greenleaf who was the 14:1 New Jersey State Champion in 1964 and 1965.

I have searched here on AZ and read all of the threads and posts in which he was mentioned but info is scarce..

Does anyone know if his family is around or can be contacted? I corresponded with skchengdds here on AZ who provided some bits and pieces of information and who also knew his son, but that was 25 years ago.

Any info would be appreciated.
-----------------------------------------
Dan Gartner is seated in the first row, second from the left in the picture below.

Attachments

• Gartner - First Row - 2nd from Left.jpg
    Gartner - First Row - 2nd from Left.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 615

poolhallbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny boy...

Dan Gartner was the real deal. He could play with the best of them and did. I remember watching him play ring games at the old Golden Cue on Queens blvd in
NY. But there is one unfortunate memory(for Danny not me) when he played in the
1967 World 14.1 tourney held at the Statler hotel in NY. The matches were to 150
points and Danny won the lag and his opponent broke and left a very tough long shot
to the corner pocket. Danny jumped up and fired it in and proceeded to run 149 balls
only to catch a stroke of bad luck forcing him into a safety battle needing only 1 ball.
Unfortunately, Danny lost the safety battle and unbelievably his opponent proceeded
to run 150 and out on him. His opponent was Jean Balukis's dad's partner the very
talented and methodical Frank McGown.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1974, as a 21 year old, I received a call from Mike? Ash, the owner of he High Cue Billiards in NJ, He explained that he was running an event an NJ and he had a player drop and was inviting me to come and play in his place. I showed, I looked at the chart and determined I was the weakest player there. It was loaded with world champions. Dan Gartner was my 3rd match. I was well aware of the caliber he once was.. I felt honored and appreciative of having the opportunity to play a once great player. He was a perfect sportsman and gentleman.

Last edited:

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump in the hope that members submit more stories or information.

The primary reason for my interest is that I own two cues that once belonged to Dan Gartner, a Paradise and a Palmer.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Bump in the hope that members submit more stories or information.

The primary reason for my interest is that I own two cues that once belonged to Dan Gartner, a Paradise and a Palmer.

I'd love to see the cues.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• Palmer - Gartner - P3200005.JPG
    Palmer - Gartner - P3200005.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Palmer - Gartner - rsz_1img_1135 - Use.jpg
    Palmer - Gartner - rsz_1img_1135 - Use.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Palmer - Gartner - rsz_img_1136.jpg
    Palmer - Gartner - rsz_img_1136.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 250

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Danny owned a room in Newark, NJ,
I believe he moved to Clifton, NJ and sold that room to Ray Martin.
Now that same room is owned by Vinny Sauro....Clifton Billiards.
Danny traveled with a young Jersey Red in the late 50's and early 60's.
I think Ray Martin can give you more info.
Also, Danny DiLiberto told me that Danny Gartner broke and made the 9-Ball on the break 3, 4, or 5 racks in a row. DiLiberto was racking, so he couldn't complain.
Check with DiLiberto for more details.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Danny's favorite gaff was to bet he could run 50 balls in half an hour. So, if he broke and ran 30 or 40 and missed he had to start over. I never saw him lose that bet.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am seeking information on Dan Gartner known to some as the Young Greenleaf who was the 14:1 New Jersey State Champion in 1964 and 1965.

I have searched here on AZ and read all of the threads and posts in which he was mentioned but info is scarce..

Does anyone know if his family is around or can be contacted? I corresponded with skchengdds here on AZ who provided some bits and pieces of information and who also knew his son, but that was 25 years ago.

Any info would be appreciated.
-----------------------------------------
Dan Gartner is seated in the first row, second from the left in the picture below.

I'm pretty sure I can name them all. Sick, huh :)

Let's see. Starting with the first row from left to right: Jimmy Moore, Danny Gartner, Al Coslosky, Paulie Jansco, George Jansco, "Babyface" Alton Whitlow, "Detroit Whitey" Eddie Beauchene, Danny Diliberto and "The Jockey" Norman Howard.
Second row: "Weenie Beenie" Bill Staton, ?? (I'll remember him later), Junior Norris, Eddie Taylor, "Tugboat" Whaley, Don Watson, Luther Lassiter and Joey Spaeth.
Back row: "Bunny" Rogoff, Jr. Goff, Cisero Murphy, Earl Shriver, "Jersey Red" Jack Breit, Tom Cosmo.
There you go!

Last edited: