What about Meucci?

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Three Bad Experiences

I like the way some Meuccis look and I'm a bit of a cue bug but over the last few years I'm 0-3 for new Meuccis, all bought new by mail from dealers in the US . First one - returned to dealer immediately, there was a black spot on one of the points. Second one returned to the dealer after the Black Dot shaft delaminated (after about a week). Third one - returned immediately; there was a fairly large hole in the finish (the dealer said it wasnt there when sent out and must have popped open during shipping). I had one that I bought used that had no problems other than it looked like a beaver gnawed on it -- I think a lot of people who have Meuccis play long and hard with them so mint used ones are not that easy to find.

Bottom line -- I'd never buy another one.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I like the way some Meuccis look and I'm a bit of a cue bug but over the last few years I'm 0-3 for new Meuccis, all bought new by mail from dealers in the US . First one - returned to dealer immediately, there was a black spot on one of the points. Second one returned to the dealer after the Black Dot shaft delaminated (after about a week). Third one - returned immediately; there was a fairly large hole in the finish (the dealer said it wasnt there when sent out and must have popped open during shipping). I had one that I bought used that had no problems other than it looked like a beaver gnawed on it -- I think a lot of people who have Meuccis play long and hard with them so mint used ones are not that easy to find.

Bottom line -- I'd never buy another one.

I've never heard anybody say they actually like Meucci cues, or say how much they love their Meucci.
Meucci people must not discuss cues, they are stuck and don't want to talk about it.
Like a bad dream

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never heard anybody say they actually like Meucci cues, or say how much they love their Meucci.
Meucci people must not discuss cues, they are stuck and don't want to talk about it.
Like a bad dream
You might want to glance at the Meucci Collectors FB page. There are a LOT of people that use/buy/sell/trade them. A good one plays great. Trick is finding one that lasts. I've seen them from the late 70's-early 80's that are well-made and still dead straight. I've also seen mid/late 90's cues that were suited for nothing more than firewood or tomato stakes.

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was never a huge fan of most of their designs because I like a simpler looking cue so I can't speak much to the butt longevity, but I have had a 30" 12.5 mm Meucci Pro shaft for about 5 years now and it's still straight and I still love it.
Over the years I have had Tiger, OB, Jacoby, Lucasi, and McDermott Hybrids as well and BeCue, Jacoby, Cuetec, and Meucci Carbon Fiber shafts....
After all that I'm back to playing with the Meucci Pro. It just feels right for me and does what I expect.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I have a Meucci with the Pro Shaft, and I really like it. It plays with a smooth feel and balance, and it has a great leather tip. It looks like it belongs to a pimp, too. Ha!!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Meucci with the Pro Shaft, and I really like it. It plays with a smooth feel and balance, and it has a great leather tip. It looks like it belongs to a pimp, too. Ha!!!
Pro Shaft plays great. If your cue is full of inlays i wish you well.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Like a bad dream

I like my Muecci, demo cue with power piston butt and black dot shaft. Been using it for about 8 years now.

Been looking at getting a pro shaft.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Meucci

When I started playing pool again in 2012 it was after a 40 year break from it. I wanted a 62 inch cue and ordered a Meucci Sneaky with a Black Dot shaft. Won a 64 player 8 Ball Tournament for close to $3,800 and lost the 9 Ball because I made mistakes, not the cues fault. I probably won close to 5 large that year with that 220 buck cue.

It still plays better then me and is straight. Last summer I found a Meucci with a black wrap and a cracked ferrule laying on the ground at a rummage sale and paid 15 buckos for it and 30 buckos for new ferule and tip. It is straight and not a new cue and shoots good.

I switched to Diveney cues later in 2012 and at my age doubt I will switch again. But, I still play with the old Meucci Sneaky.

I'm a gun shooter and have more guns then cues. One of the most popular rifle scope brands is the Leupold brand and I have probably seen more Leupold scopes on the cover of gun magazines then all others combined and I used them for many years.

But, I have come to the realization there are more reliable scopes then Leupold and I am slowly getting rid of most of them as are most hard core shooters that insist on reliable repeatable scope erector adjustments, because they shoot way out there and are constantly twisting turrets. Still, most hunters get along fine with Leupold scopes for hunting big game and don't twist turrets. Because most don't shoot much.

Lots of players do fine with a Meucci cue for the same reason. I will keep the two I have and have no plans to buy more.

Last edited:

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, even though I know this is another topic that has been beaten to death on here, I'd like some insight.

Oh, and just to clarify, I AM new here and not a troll or someone with another ID. I saw that a couple people were "suspicious" on another thread, but no need to feel that way. I used to check out this site years ago looking for event info and read up on equipment but I just got back into the game and felt it was time to join here. So hello to all the posters on here :smile:

Speaking of equipment, I realize that there is (and always has been) mixed opinions on Meucci. I inherited one and I think it's at least as old as the late 90s and yes, it is warped, but I got most of it out, thankfully. It actually plays beautifully.

So to make this short, I've been thinking about picking up a new Meucci but wanted to know if anyone on here has experience with the newer ones that have the pro shaft. Are there still quality control issues and problems with warpage even in the newer line of Meucci cues?
I have 4 new Meucci's and love them. All have the black dot shaft. I have experienced none of the problems that are often mentioned. I love the way they hit and at age 73, still have an occasional run in the 30's playing straight pool. I love them, just my 2 cents.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like a bad dream

I bought a brand new Meucci in about 1986.
That cue moved the cue ball with less effort then any cue I've had before or since(yes Ted even better then the mighty Lucasi).
Soon the ferrule cracked which was common then due to the thin wall.
I replaced the ferrule.
About 6 months after getting the cue it warped bad.
I couldn't fix that.
That was my first and last Meucci.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a brand new Meucci in about 1986.
That cue moved the cue ball with less effort then any cue I've had before or since(yes Ted even better then the mighty Lucasi).
Soon the ferrule cracked which was common then due to the thin wall.
I replaced the ferrule.
About 6 months after getting the cue it warped bad.
I couldn't fix that.
That was my first and last Meucci.
I hear ya. They do play good but buying a cue shouldn't be a crap-shoot and that's often the case with a Meucci. Unlike your beloved Lucasi, those cues are pretty much flawless and built to a very high standard.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I hear ya. They do play good but buying a cue shouldn't be a crap-shoot and that's often the case with a Meucci. Unlike your beloved Lucasi, those cues are pretty much flawless and built to a very high standard.

I've had Lucasi cues that could give measuremans Lucasi the 7 and the 8.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So many pros use meucci now adays, this should tell you something, I know theyre sponsored but still, if they aren't comfortable with it, they wouldn't play with it, literally they make a living out of pool so their equipment is important.

Besides, most AZ cue fans are too detailed to the design and the points of a cue and how it looks, however, if you want to know about how they play, Meucci actually are a very very good playing cues, their shafts are awesome, and the butt is very good for playing.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So many pros use meucci now adays, this should tell you something, I know theyre sponsored but still, if they aren't comfortable with it, they wouldn't play with it, literally they make a living out of pool so their equipment is important.

Besides, most AZ cue fans are too detailed to the design and the points of a cue and how it looks, however, if you want to know about how they play, Meucci actually are a very very good playing cues, their shafts are awesome, and the butt is very good for playing.
How they play has never really been an issue. And there's not that many top players who use them. Duel, K. Cheng, Sky, M. Eberle come to mind but not too many others. Shaw left 'cause the makers of Peri offered big bucks.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How they play has never really been an issue. And there's not that many top players who use them. Duel, K. Cheng, Sky, M. Eberle come to mind but not too many others. Shaw left 'cause the makers of Peri offered big bucks.

Yes Shaw left as you said for big china bucks company.

But the people you already mentioned are actually many!, some companies has far less pro's, but also you could name more that plays for Meucci but aren't in the top top.

Deuel, Cheng, Sky, Eberle, Morra, Jalal, Hennessee, Hatch, and many more not that known pro's, i.e. they play in their country etc.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like a bad dream

People loved the old ones . Pre 90s when they weren’t making junk. When I was fist playing 30 years a go they were all the rage and while I liked their designs I hated the way they hit. I was more a McDermott player. I didn’t think they looked as good but they had a stiff hit which I liked.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were to buy one it would be the sneaky Pete,plays best cost less

I have owned three Meuccis from the late 80s to early 90s. The cue I still own is the sneaky pete because it played the best. Some older Meucci cues were not whippy.

Perhaps the current excitement over CF shafts will give Meucci an opportunity to reset their reputation. But I would not recommend them to someone asking for advice on buying a new cue. There are too many other good options available on the new and used markets.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got over a dozen Meucci cues. Some are older, some newer. I only had problems with one old cue that had a warped shaft (no name on shaft). I fixed it and it's stayed that way for 3 years now without any more problems.
I guess I'm one of the "lucky ones" because I love my cues and don't have any issues with any of them. I especially prefer the "Pro" shaft on my newer cues. I've met Bob and toured his factory twice; even shot a few games of pool with him. He's always treated me just fine. I'll buy more Meucci's when the mood strikes. I'm interested in the BMC cues more so nowadays.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Meucci

I have a Meucci that I bought around 87-88. No points or inlays on the forearm. It has a defect in the wrap just at the bottom where it meets the butt. The wrap is not flush with the butt. I took 20 years off pool from 98 till last year when I joined APA. When I started playing again (this is my breaker now) that the forearm is warped about 2" below the joint. So I guess I would say that my experience is not great with meucci. My Joss which I bought in 94 and also was stored for 20 years and only used occasionally still rolls perfectly straight.
Joss thumbs up
Meucci thumbs down
Paul