Which Way To Play This Shot?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The stun could cause it to rattle. Using the same speed as the stun shot, but with a touch of outside/"helping" english
I don't believe "helping" english is really a thing, but if it is I think it's the other way around. It should be the kind that (supposedly) spins the OB in off the far pocket facing - in this case that's stun, or inside (right/counterclockwise) english, which would spin the OB left/clockwise.

pj
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't believe "helping" english is really a thing, but if it is I think it's the other way around. It should be the kind that (supposedly) spins the OB in off the far pocket facing - in this case that's stun, or inside (right/counterclockwise) english, which would spin the OB left/clockwise.

pj
chgo

Shooting the 1 ball as a stun shot would push it toward the long rail, possibly causing it to rattle or miss the pocket entirely. You have to cut it a little thinner to compensate for the stun throw. Using outside "helps" reduce or eliminate the throw and keeps the ball on track for the pocket. That's all I mean by calling it "helping" english. It helps reduce the effects of cit. I realize you are thinking of how the ob reacts when it hits the facing, but that's not what I'm referring to.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Shooting the 1 ball as a stun shot would push it toward the long rail, possibly causing it to rattle or miss the pocket entirely. You have to cut it a little thinner to compensate for the stun throw. Using outside "helps" reduce or eliminate the throw and keeps the ball on track for the pocket. That's all I mean by calling it "helping" english. It helps reduce the effects of cit. I realize you are thinking of how the ob reacts when it hits the facing, but that's not what I'm referring to.
I thought that might be the case...

I've most often heard that described as "gearing" english - and "helping" english used the way I described it (usually for OBs on the rail). But I'm good with it either way... :)

pj
chgo

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like this shot because of the ob's distance from the side rail. If it's closer, no problem but this shot can be easily missed. It's an overcut waiting to happen, especially with low outside. If I could, I would choose to either kill the cb or soft roll the shot. If the cloth won't allow it, then I would have to go with everyone else's choice of playing for the 2 in the side but I'd be SUPER careful not to overcut this.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is an exact Fargo rating number where that number and below are better off shooting both shots in the corners and any Fargo ratings above that number Will have a better chance of making both balls if you play the two in the side.

The goal should be to get good enough to have a better chance of getting out using the side pocket imo.

The top Player Believes the only way he could miss Is due to skid or roll off And not because they are unfamiliar or not confident with using low left English for shape in the side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a full size table, most accomplished players probably play the 2 in the side. On a smaller barbox table, its a much closer decision and corner-and-corner likely the more attractive option.