A heads up about a player that refused to pay......johnny nguyen

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As title says, johnny nguyen lost and did not pay his debt.

Very long story so I will hit the main points.

I was at Bumpers in Birmingham, Al. johnny nguyen approached me, ask if I wanted to play some cheap sets. We agreed on a game, rules and money.

We played two sets. He lost both.

After second set, bumpers announced closing soon so we agreed to quit. After putting our cues etc... away johnny nguyen turned and started to walk away. I stopped him and reminded him about money. He said his backer left and he didn't have any cash so I said there is an ATM. He said he did not have his card.....

Anyways, we agreed he would pay me the next time I was in town. I went back to collect while in town on business and not only did he refuse to pay he said he didn't know what I was talking about and got pissed and left.

Furthermore, a hour so after he left his so called backer came in. I asked him about it and he said he was not backing him and he knew nothing other than he knew we had played.

I don't know who does or don't know him but he is the one that won the so-called "Alabama State Championship" that David Rowell (spelling) had back around July of 2017 at bumpers in Birmingham.

He is a popular and well liked player in his area so I did not think there would be an issue if I won..............guess I was wrong.

Anway............as title says, this is just a heads up to those that are approached by him. Make sure to post and even then....keep an eye on it.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
learn to put up in advance and always pay after each game or set. if you dont you made your own bed.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
That sukcs for sure, thanks for the warning.

I will always pay before I lose....so this cant happen.;)

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He probably won The Akron Open. That's what I think I read. Lesson learned. Whip out avoids the air barrel.

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bust him in the chops the next time you see him. His memory will probably improve greatly after that!!!

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The light ain't just for seeing the table.

God and Efren get markers. Everybody else posts.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the pool world, if you get stiffed:

1) Its always your fault.
2) If you tell anyone, you are the fool.

This is the truth, and a cheap lesson.

Happy holidays.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Collecting money is a matter of them paying cash or experiencing pain. Most often the cash is really the easy way out.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know....in some places you're more likely to get doubly ripped off by posting. So I don't posting is so sure proof.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Every pool player has been stiffed before! Then you wise up or quit gambling. I used to play guys, pay after two games! So if you're playing $5 9-Ball, you pay up after you're stuck $10. That way the most you can get stiffed is two games and those are usually the air barrel games anyway. If I played for ten a game or more it was pay as you go, game by game. I never minded getting stiffed for one game after getting a guy stuck (like winning 50 or 60 at ten a game). It was good business to just tell him to forget it! :cool:

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree it's pretty weak when someone doesn't pay or acts like they don't know what you're talking about. I know one or two of them and one is always on AZ. I won't bring up his name but IMO he is a major NIT. But, don't get me wrong I'll ride his ass every time I get the chance and if he crosses me in any way I'll start throwing his name around again.The amount bet was peanuts it's just the principle of the situation.

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
QUOTE: "Every pool player has been stiffed before! Then you wise up or quit gambling. I used to play guys, pay after two games! So if you're playing $5 9-Ball, you pay up after you're stuck $10. That way the most you can get stiffed is two games and those are usually the air barrel games anyway. If I played for ten a game or more it was pay as you go, game by game. I never minded getting stiffed for one game after getting a guy stuck (like winning 50 or 60 at ten a game). It was good business to just tell him to forget it!"

Good advice, Jay. In the mid '70's I stuck a 'local' for a few hundred but he wouldn't pay. My bad for trusting and not collecting after each set . It didn't happen again! Some just learn the hard way, I guess.

Same goes for giving odds. I was naive enough to give odds on a one-pocket match during the same time period. I finally got even and then out of Dodge. NO MAS!

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pay as you go - always, even with so called "friends" or they may not be friends any more!
don't risk your winnings or your friendships, and who would NOT agree to that unless they did not have the cash on hand. For anything larger than a $50 bet, it must be posted. Just my own rules in pool gambling.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't post, don't complain. You set up the opportunity for your opponent to hose you.

I have also used Jay's strategy when playing by the game instead of sets.

I personally do not know any gambler who has not been air barreled.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Cheap set with no pay is a cheap lesson. Don't play him anymore.