Why don't APA players don't like playing pool?

Banks

Banned
I think league players by their nature are not inclined to put up money and play for it. They also probably didn't want to commit to hanging around for hours playing in a tournament. I hate that myself and if I had anything else to do would have probably passed on playing.

Not to mention the fact that it was a Saturday night!

APA breeds what we have. Guys that think they are players and won't bet water is wet.

Of course, there weren't nits around before league. Some of the stingiest, no-heart players I've encountered were a few of the top players at our regional BCA event. They've been playing for decades and would sooner piss themselves than get into a game they may lose at.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuz many don't feel the overwhelming need to bet in order to enjoy themselves
That may be the case but for those who do like to compete they are now being satisfied with league play. Many think of themselves as almost professional players on their leagues.

They get to enjoy applause as they make a good shot or run out. Many become local celebs on the leagues if they are good players. Years ago if they wanted those accolades they would have to match up and bet a small amount.

Otherwise, even if they were good practice players they got very little respect if they were not willing to step up and play for real. With much of pool today in bars where the leagues exist they can enjoy being pool players with little personal risk.

They are not called on to defend their titles as local room champs used to have to do on a regular basis. You were pretty much expected to play when someone came in even if you had to negotiate some weight.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
That may be the case but for those who do like to compete they are now being satisfied with league play. Many think of themselves as almost professional players on their leagues.

They get to enjoy applause as they make a good shot or run out. Many become local celebs on the leagues if they are good players. Years ago if they wanted those accolades they would have to match up and bet a small amount.

Otherwise, even if they were good practice players they got very little respect if they were not willing to step up and play for real. With much of pool today in bars where the leagues exist they can enjoy being pool players with little personal risk.

They are not called on to defend their titles as local room champs used to have to do on a regular basis. You were pretty much expected to play when someone came in even if you had to negotiate some weight.

And don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with people wanting to gamble. I simply get tired of being down upon because I don't.

People can enjoy themselves without gambling, even playing pool.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Your LO is an idiot.

Why didn't he tell people in advance that there would be a great tournament following the meeting? He expects that people don't have other plans on a Saturday afternoon?

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I played APA for a few sessions. I have since switched to TAP to keep me active in pool. To be honest, APA was a waste of time for me. Slop shots, bangers and the league administrators made it a very poor experience. I'd rather play a blind weekend tourney with a set buy in and set race than go to any other APA events.

On the same note, anybody wanna buy my brownie patches from APA? Lol!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with people wanting to gamble. I simply get tired of being down upon because I don't.

The answer is probably no. If you can't just have fun, don't even bother asking me to play. I do not gamble. For beers....sure....fine....ill do that.
I rarely even buy lottery tickets. So because you and I don't gamble, we are a lower form of life that shouldn't even be allowed to posess a pool cue.

Oh....and APA in my area is growing. Never even heard of BCA or TAP around here. If you want to gamble, go ahead....its your money. To all of you apa haters.....enter and play in the US Amateur Championship. You breeze through that one and I will concede my opinion. Oh. There is no money to win. Just prestige. That in itself will keep most of you from even trying.

As for the tournament after the meeting, did you ever think that most people didn't even bring their cues? They were not informed in advance. League operator oversite.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Everyone can play pool without ever gambling, in fact the large majority don't gamble at all and among those who "Claim" to gamble, many will only play if they think it is a lock.

I was just pointing out an historical fact. Years ago the pool rooms had local champs and they gambled. That is how they gained their status and were known.

Not necessarily large amounts but they did demonstrate they had a confidence in their game that they would back up with a bet. It was often refereed as "Gun fighting".

You say "People can enjoy themselves without gambling, even playing pool."
Of course they can but not "Pool players". When two players want to play how can they play without a bet? What is the point, it would be meaningless. These legendary players are often discussed on here. Freddy the Beard didn't write a book
"The Encyclopedia of the best fun players I ever saw".

Not to mention, who wants to give another player a shot at you for nothing? If they want to take some of what you have as a player that you have worked for, they are going to have to take a risk.
Even the most humble player has an ego and if you want to walk around bragging how you beat them your going to have to risk something.

If you are not a pool player you and your buddies can play for fun all you want. Players though don't want to play for fun when they match up.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Everyone can play pool without ever gambling, in fact the large majority don't gamble at all and among those who "Claim" to gamble, many will only play if they think it is a lock.

I was just pointing out an historical fact. Years ago the pool rooms had local champs and they gambled. That is how they gained their status and were known.

Not necessarily large amounts but they did demonstrate they had a confidence in their game that they would back up with a bet. It was often refereed as "Gun fighting".

You say "People can enjoy themselves without gambling, even playing pool."
Of course they can but not "Pool players". When two players want to play how can they play without a bet? What is the point, it would be meaningless. These legendary players are often discussed on here. Freddy the Beard didn't write a book
"The Encyclopedia of the best fun players I ever saw".

Not to mention, who wants to give another player a shot at you for nothing? If they want to take some of what you have as a player that you have worked for, they are going to have to take a risk.
Even the most humble player has an ego and if you want to walk around bragging how you beat them your going to have to risk something.

If you are not a pool player you and your buddies can play for fun all you want. Players though don't want to play for fun when they match up.

Equine excrement.

I take playing seriously enough. Many folks I know do.

Just because I don't choose to bet on my game doesn't mean I don't take it seriously.

I play for me. (And for my teammates during league.). It is important to me, and it really bothers me when I don't play like I am capable of. A bet doesn't validate anything to me.

As for being "a player".... I'm not concerned with any such label. Here on AZB I'm getting used to it. League Player. Banger. Etc, etc, etc. I play pool regularly, in a competitive setting. I am a pool player. Perhaps not a very skilled one, but a player nonetheless. Regardless of whether I choose to bet or not.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Equine excrement.

I take playing seriously enough. Many folks I know do.

Just because I don't choose to bet on my game doesn't mean I don't take it seriously.

I play for me. (And for my teammates during league.). It is important to me, and it really bothers me when I don't play like I am capable of. A bet doesn't validate anything to me.

As for being "a player".... I'm not concerned with any such label. Here on AZB I'm getting used to it. League Player. Banger. Etc, etc, etc. I play pool regularly, in a competitive setting. I am a pool player. Perhaps not a very skilled one, but a player nonetheless. Regardless of whether I choose to bet or not.

horse excrement ? lmao. :thumbup:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think league players by their nature are not inclined to put up money and play for it. They also probably didn't want to commit to hanging around for hours playing in a tournament. I hate that myself and if I had anything else to do would have probably passed on playing.

I agree about the waiting part. It is nearly unbearable especially if the wait is as long as 1 or sometimes 2 hours between games. Especially if you are playing in a bar table tournament that is not a race- just a single game of 8 ball. I think tournaments like that are nearly pointless.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a big end of summer season APA meeting yesterday in a poolroom yesterday afternoon to give out patches won and discuss the playoffs and the upcoming season. There had to be at least 40-50 people there, all APA members. The league operator announced he will have a cash and prize tournament after the meeting, $25 entry, modified elimination. To be honest that's the only reason I came. Meetings bore me.
ONLY TWO PEOPLE SIGNED UP FOR THE TOURNAMENT, ME AND ONE OTHER!!!

I am absolutely not a league or bar table player, but I read this and I wondered: $25, put up quarters, wait for who knows how long between matches... Why?

What was the payout for this tournament? Was it worth the pain? Too often the only one who makes out is the league operator.

Lou Figueroa

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer is probably no. If you can't just have fun, don't even bother asking me to play. I do not gamble. For beers....sure....fine....ill do that.
I rarely even buy lottery tickets. So because you and I don't gamble, we are a lower form of life that shouldn't even be allowed to posess a pool cue.

Oh....and APA in my area is growing. Never even heard of BCA or TAP around here. If you want to gamble, go ahead....its your money. To all of you apa haters.....enter and play in the US Amateur Championship. You breeze through that one and I will concede my opinion. Oh. There is no money to win. Just prestige. That in itself will keep most of you from even trying.

As for the tournament after the meeting, did you ever think that most people didn't even bring their cues? They were not informed in advance. League operator oversite.
You make the assumption or assertion that all league players don't gamble. I am fairly certain that those that play at a higher level do gamble. Don't let the term "US Amateur Championship" fool you. Players that play at a level that can win such a tournament, gamble.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I am absolutely not a league or bar table player, but I read this and I wondered: $25, put up quarters, wait for who knows how long between matches... Why?

What was the payout for this tournament? Was it worth the pain? Too often the only one who makes out is the league operator.

Lou Figueroa

Not all bar tables are pay by the game. Most places around here charge by the hour and the tables are Diamond bar boxes that have a ball return.

If 8 people would've gotten in it could've been a good payout for the amount of time it would've taken to win.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You make the assumption or assertion that all league players don't gamble. I am fairly certain that those that play at a higher level do gamble. Don't let the term "US Amateur Championship" fool you. Players that play at a level that can win such a tournament, gamble.

You are absolutely correct. I never assumed very good players "don't gamble". I just think pool deserves more respect then to taint it with dirty money. And that's exactly what it does. Cant understand why some guys have to "measure dicks" to prove how good they are.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

You don'y play leagues but have an opinion on them, how nice. $25 entry fee, open tables, total payback. pretty worthwhile

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not all bar tables are pay by the game. Most places around here charge by the hour and the tables are Diamond bar boxes that have a ball return.

If 8 people would've gotten in it could've been a good payout for the amount of time it would've taken to win.

Soooo, is that the case in this situation? No quarters? And then, what would have been this splendid payout worth an afternoon and/or evening? What are the numbers?

Lou Figueroa

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are absolutely correct. I never assumed very good players "don't gamble". I just think pool deserves more respect then to taint it with dirty money. And that's exactly what it does. Cant understand why some guys have to "measure dicks" to prove how good they are.

I have been around pool rooms over 50 years. Trust me, when two players play for nothing the loser will always make the excuse, "We weren't playing for anything anyway".

Unless you are risking something, the match is pretty much bogus no matter how you look at it. How a guy plays in his basement doesn't mean a thing.
I am sorry if that offends anyone but it is true. Unless you can do it for real, don't expect a lot of respect. That is just the way it is.

By the way, I would also consider tournament play as doing it for real. The points is, you have to play under real competitive conditions under some pressure with something on the outcome.

Last edited:

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
depends....our league has a banquet at the end of every session (spring, summer, and fall). There is a tourney played that day as well. After eating (which is always real good - lots of homemade dishes brought), they hand out awards - for each night 1st, 2nd, 3rd places, league MVP, etc. Takes awhile....finally they take money for the tourney and slowly get it started. I decided to play in it once. I think it was a $15 entry, short race bar box 9 ball....I made it to the hot seat and lost, had to wait for the losers side to finish up, to get back to the finals. I got to the poolhall around noonish, and the finals were split around 1:50 am. My team won money for getting 1st that session, I got the MVP, and I got money for the tournament, after 14 hours was it worth it??? Haven't played in one since.

I don't care how much you like the game, some folks don't want to spend 14 hours straight in a poolhall....unless it's a big tourney; I won't. I coulda got outta there in 2 and went and saw a ballgame, played golf, taken a couple of hours nap, and gave the wifey a pickle tickle before the tourney finished....sheesh. :rolleyes::p