Low deflection / Low squirt shaft comparison

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's important to put those NaySayers and Science Guys in their place periodically. :grin-square:

Best regards,
Dave

For sure, Dave. We always have to remember to think from the shallow end of the pond and make sure we always put people in their proper "camps" so we know whether to pay any attention to what they say or not. :wink::D

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...a small distance can be estimated more accurately than a large one.
As an aside, I think this same principle is how fractional aiming systems work - by breaking up the range of possible cut angles into smaller "marked" subranges to make estimating actual cut angles within them easier. Kinda like adding calibration markings to a blank gauge.

pj
chgo

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scientists can change an experiment's outcome just by videoing it

Without a robot doing the testing on lots of samples, I won't trust any of the subjective ratings very much.
Even the "same" cue by the same maker will have a range of variation. Some standard deviations will be larger than others.

Yes, it's amazing what the human mind can do.

Scientists can change an experiment's outcome just by videoing it, isn't that strange....the act of observing actually alters the outcome.

This is called the Heisenburg experiment.

RBC

Deceased
Without a robot doing the testing on lots of samples, I won't trust any of the subjective ratings very much.
Even the "same" cue by the same maker will have a range of variation. Some standard deviations will be larger than others.

I understand what you're saying.

But, just because it's done by a robot doesn't mean it's real either. I won't do a robot test, even though I know how to do it properly, because so many have been done improperly. There are just so many variables that can be skewed to show your product as the best. These are the reasons we've moved to a quantifiable measure of actual tip end mass. It is what it is.

As for the subjective testing, there's one big issue that hasn't been addressed, and that is new versus used shafts. Cue shafts don't stay the same through use. They get sanded down, either on purpose or unknowingly through tip replacements. They get repaired some times in ways that can have drastic effects on cue ball squirt. I can't tell you how many Predator shafts that have had a tenon put in them during a ferrule replacement. They definitely aren't the same afterwards. Just a few weeks ago, we had a local player and good friend of mine whose OB-2 had a ferrule failure. When we looked at, it was down to well under 11mm in diameter. Obviously, that's the source of the ferrule issue, but also it means that the cue ball squirt on that shaft was extremely low. When we told him about the diameter he was completely surprised. He didn't realize that it had been worn down over the years. He immediately opted for a new shaft, and understands that he will have to adjust to a little more cue ball squirt.

So, if you're shaft has been modified, or is smaller in diameter than when new, your personal observations of cue ball squirt will not be consistent with new products of the same make and model.

Royce

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
So, if you're shaft has been modified, or is smaller in diameter than when new, your personal observations of cue ball squirt will not be consistent with new products of the same make and model.

Royce

The shaft diameter has been added to the subjective test data.

The original purpose of this thread was to provide approximate squirt characteristics so that the reader can have an idea of how shafts they are unfamiliar with compare to their current shaft.

This is not intended to be absolute.

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only benefit I see with LD is keeping pencil thin shafts straighter / stiffer. A 12.75mm < shafts can't flex enough even with a bangers stroke.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Uncle Joey" triumphs again!!!

Today, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
To be truthful (for a change), I think squerve is probably the better spelling, because it emphasizes swerve more and I think swerve is the more troublesome effect.

pj
chgo

Nice to see you cry "Uncle". :D

JoeyA

"Uncle Joey" triumphs again!!!

Well played.......

bf7ded58f26ec389cc0b88e4efacb718.jpg

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Myself and several others on this forum have been looking for reliable information on ld shaft characteristics. My hope is this thread might be a source for us to keep updated. I would like to use a 1-10 scale in describing only the deflection or squirt characteristics of particular shafts.

10 being high deflection, 1 being minimal deflection.

Hopefully we can list as many shafts as possible and use this thread as a reference.

The best relatively objective testing I am aware of would be pivot based stop shot with side spin. If someone knows a better method without robot testing please let me know.

*****This should not turn into a shaft bashing thread. High or low squirt / deflection does not mean good or bad shafts. This is only an attempt at helping those interested find the shafts most suited to the individual searching.

I will begin with shafts I am recently familiar with and we can adjust and update as needed.

1 = minimal squirt / deflection. 10 = high squirt / deflection

These #'s are subjective but with enough input we can give a fairly accurate comparison.

Scale # - Brand - Model - Diameter - pivot point"

2.6 - OB - 2+ 11.75mm - ?
2.7 - OB - Pro + 11.75mm - ?
2.8 - Predator - Z2 11.75mm - 14
2.8 - Mezz - Ex Pro 12.5mm - ?
3.1 - Mezz - WX 900 12mm - ?
3.2 - OB - Classic + 12.75mm - 13.25
3.2 - Mezz - Hybrid Pro II 12.5mm - ?
3.4 - Jacoby - Hybrid Edge 12.5mm - 12.75
3.5 - Predator - 314-2 12.75mm - 12.5
3.5 - Mezz - WD700 12.5mm - 12.5
3.9 - Players - HXT 12.75mm - 11.5
4.5 - Mezz - Hybrid Alpha 12.8mm - ?
6.0 - Tiger - Ultra X LD 12.75mm - 8
8.0 - Prather - 13mm reg. shaft - 7

**** the "?" For pivot point means we do not have the data, the shaft is listed based on best guess. We can update when data comes in.

I have owned the wx900 and H P II along with several others and I can comfortably say that the Z2 and Wx900 are almost the exact same. Also Mezz has stated on their website that the Ex Pro and Hybrid Pro II have almost the same amount of deflection with the WX900 has the least out of all of them.

Also I just got a new 314-3 Shaft and its really close to the HP II.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Myself and several others on this forum have been looking for reliable information on ld shaft characteristics. My hope is this thread might be a source for us to keep updated. I would like to use a 1-10 scale in describing only the deflection or squirt characteristics of particular shafts.

10 being high deflection, 1 being minimal deflection.

Hopefully we can list as many shafts as possible and use this thread as a reference.

The best relatively objective testing I am aware of would be pivot based stop shot with side spin. If someone knows a better method without robot testing please let me know.

*****This should not turn into a shaft bashing thread. High or low squirt / deflection does not mean good or bad shafts. This is only an attempt at helping those interested find the shafts most suited to the individual searching.

I will begin with shafts I am recently familiar with and we can adjust and update as needed.

1 = minimal squirt / deflection. 10 = high squirt / deflection

These #'s are subjective but with enough input we can give a fairly accurate comparison.

Scale # - Brand - Model - Diameter - pivot point"

2.6 - OB - 2+ 11.75mm - ?
2.7 - OB - Pro + 11.75mm - ?
2.8 - Predator - Z2 11.75mm - 14
2.8 - Mezz - Ex Pro 12.5mm - ?
3.1 - Mezz - WX 900 12mm - ?
3.2 - OB - Classic + 12.75mm - 13.25
3.2 - Mezz - Hybrid Pro II 12.5mm - ?
3.4 - Jacoby - Hybrid Edge 12.5mm - 12.75
3.5 - Predator - 314-2 12.75mm - 12.5
3.5 - Mezz - WD700 12.5mm - 12.5
3.9 - Players - HXT 12.75mm - 11.5
4.5 - Mezz - Hybrid Alpha 12.8mm - ?
6.0 - Tiger - Ultra X LD 12.75mm - 8
8.0 - Prather - 13mm reg. shaft - 7

**** the "?" For pivot point means we do not have the data, the shaft is listed based on best guess. We can update when data comes in.

I just played with a Tiger shaft at SBE, I would say it's in the Predator range, 6 seems a bit off. I was able to use massive spin with it and pocket 3-4 long shots in a row with it on the 9 foot diamond they had setup.

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
I have owned the wx900 and H P II along with several others and I can comfortably say that the Z2 and Wx900 are almost the exact same. Also Mezz has stated on their website that the Ex Pro and Hybrid Pro II have almost the same amount of deflection with the WX900 has the least out of all of them.

Also I just got a new 314-3 Shaft and its really close to the HP II.

Currently I have the ex pro lower than the WX 900 because I have played with both the Ex Pro and Z2. The WX 900 was put in the mix (based on hearsay) prior to me playing with the Ex Pro.

We need pivot points for the 314-3 and the WX900, if you could provide them it would be appreciated.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still like to see a comparison not only between LD shafts but also standard maple shafts. Since some say it is all hype.

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
Still like to see a comparison not only between LD shafts but also standard maple shafts. Since some say it is all hype.

A standard maple shaft has been in the comparison since this thread began. It is a Prather 13mm.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this thread, I personally believe that Mezz - Ex Pro 12.5mm - has a very low deflection and I think it should be higher in the list maybe above OB, I've tried both and felt that way, but havent really used any technicial way of measuring it, just a feeling, but it really has a low deflection , I was surprised with this new shaft.