One pocket game question

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before you get started you'll need a nice custom cue, a leather case, a pool glove for each hand, a jump stick, a couple LD shafts, special chalk, an extension, a hustlin shirt and a couple tattoos.

You forgot to add either a drug habit or alcohol dependency:grin:

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold crown is right.It's one of the simpler games as far as rules go. But one of the more complex as far as actually learning the GAME.

Pangit

Banned
Side pocket

What about one pocket with the side pockets, how much quicker/slower would the game be at the pro level?

EtDM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about one pocket with the side pockets, how much quicker/slower would the game be at the pro level?

I think it would be too different of a game. The side pocket presents a serious scratching threat in almost every game of one pocket. The head ball in the standard break typically ends up quite near it. Removing that threat, as well as the corner hooking opportunities it presents would change the game pretty drastically.

As far as speed, I suppose it might speed it up a bit, but I wouldn't expect too much, because removing those pockets isn't going to have any effect on the safety play and uptable moves that contribute to a game running long.

In terms of speeding up the game, there are some rule variants that require a ball to be spotted once a certain number are in the kitchen, to prevent uptable slogs. (AKA the Mathews Rule)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think it would be impossible to determine...those whacky crack smokers will start inventing shots an who knows where it goes from there.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you want speed pool there are games for that already. One pocket is advanced pool that will be just fine until somebody starts changing the rules.