Is it okay to expose a cue to below freezing temp for a couple hours?

gweempose

Registered
I am having a cue delivered today, but I may be out when it arrives. Is it okay if the cue sits outside in the cold for a couple hours before I get home? It's about 26F out. If this is a problem, I may be able to reschedule the delivery for tomorrow. Thanks!

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think it's pretty cold flying at 35,000 feet you should be ok. I would be more concerned about it sitting on porch for a few hours unattended.

I send any Cue I sell signature required so nothing sits outside.

Enjoy your new cue,

-Kat,

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I kept my cue in my trunk for four years straight at least. Live in Mid-Michigan. Still perfectly straight. Ymmv.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mine just sat the entire weekend in the bitter cold waiting for ups to deliver yesterday, the only thing it said to me when I broke it out of the box was Oooh warmth, I then took it out and warmed it up and hit a few balls and its like it never left home.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're usually ok UNLESS you've got ivory ferrules. If so make sure you let it warm-up before hitting it. I've seen cold ivory ferrules break when used straight out of the cold. I've never had an issue with a cue getting really cold. Try not to but i have forgotten it and left it overnight. So far, so good.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
good wood wont warp.ive had my bar cue, now called sneaky petes in my car for 50 years. in 110 degrees in vegas to minus 20 or lower in the far north for long periods of time. and in many other states with dry and humid air. its still straight as an arrow.

and as said cold ivory ferrels and joints break if you dont let them warm up and hit a hard shot.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am having a cue delivered today, but I may be out when it arrives. Is it okay if the cue sits outside in the cold for a couple hours before I get home? It's about 26F out. If this is a problem, I may be able to reschedule the delivery for tomorrow. Thanks!

I used to keep a Ginacue in the trunk of my car up in Montana without a problem. As others have noted, you may want to let any ivory warm up before shooting a masse shot.

Lou Figueroa

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry to butt in

You need to know where the postal station will store your parcel.
If it's stored indoors w climate control, great.
Pick Up at your convenience.

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a cold ivory joint may break even if you do let them warm up without hitting a thing. thermal shock is/can be bad news.

gweempose

Registered
Thanks for the responses, guys! The cue ended up sitting outside for about an hour and a half, but it seems no worse for wear. I missed a couple of easy shots during my first game with it, but I'm afraid I can't blame that on the cue. :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

No, it’s not okay....have you ever heard of an Eskimo 9-ball champion?