from what i hear ...havent been there
new orleans
buffalo billiards
all the action you want
open 24/7

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Drawing only from my "online" experience (recently got back into pool and haven't checked out the scene anywhere else), the Carolinas seem to have a lot of action... Or maybe they just have the loudest mouths online? (ba-dum-bum!)

It's not bad here in the Minneapolis southern suburbs, but I doubt it even belongs in the same sentence as the best.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
from what i hear ...havent been there
new orleans
buffalo billiards
all the action you want
open 24/7

The fishing is pretty good just an hour away. And unbelievable 80 miles out from there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For amateur/Fargo/league OklahomaCity and Kansas City are both doin' pretty good these days. Quite a bit of action in OkC. as well. Ok.City is pretty centrally located, cost of living isn't bad and if you like to fish/hunt there's a lot in the area. Just gotta fade tornado season and you're good.

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Houston is really pretty good. I take it for granted.
Quality of life wise, lots of good jobs, lots of things to do, good schools, worldclass healthcare
For pool we also have at least 3 pretty good action rooms that draw several large tournaments throughout the year that usually attract plenty of top dogs.
Even when there are no tournaments there's usually a couple pros around getting in the mix. Not uncommon to draw Manny Chau, Richie Rich or Sylver on a weekday tournament.
Also cool is Houston being such a melting pot there's a pretty decent presence of other cuesports. Really strong 3 cushion scene with several rooms with lots of nice heated 10fts. You can also get yourself into some snooker on really nice tables and one of those rooms even has chinese 8 ball tables now.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...,

I've lived everywhere and theres no place close[/U][/B][/B] to Houston. There's 5 Pool halls on each side of town, theres gambling anywhere you go, most of the time small bets $20 a game 9 ball, $100 a game One Pocket. Theres more league players than you can keep up with BCA and APA and there a new one on one gambling league managed on line and theres two new rooms coming this spring both with 9 foot Diamonds.

Theres plenty of work, plenty of housing, diversity like no other city, more food than any sane person could eat and the crime aint bad for a city this big.

P.S. you can get to Austin, Dallas, New Orleans in a few hours and there action in all those cities too.

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
Houston is now on my list - Thanks.

I have heard good things about Phoenix area. Anyone have more info about that?

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Phoenix ranks very high with me. I'm familiar with 4 of their rooms - Freezer's, Kolby's, Main Street and Bullshooters. I'm sure there's a few others. Plenty of tournaments in town. Lots of players, playing rotation games and, of course, One Pocket. I'm not sure what the bar scene is like. Cost of living is reasonable. Drawback - it gets very hot during the summer.

Tops on my list is Las Vegas. Great rooms at Griff's, Cue Club, Goodtimes and Micky's. A lot of top players have moved into town because many of the top tournaments are in town. Action aplenty throughout, all the way into the 1000's. Fargo fight nights are popular in the bars. Leagues on many nights. Cost of living is reasonable. World class entertainment and food in town. Drawback - it gets hot during the summer.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wichita is pretty active. Leagues play every week night and action if you want it at a few places. Info on FB at Wichita Pool Players Uncensored. Several weekly Tournaments at a few places too; some report to Fargo and some don't. Look for Club Billiards, PJ's and Shooters.

babyboy70363

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fishing is pretty good just an hour away. And unbelievable 80 miles out from there.
This is spot on.......I'm about 45-50 minutes from N.O. and the fishing here is great!

Unfortunately pool not so much anymore......but theres Buffalo's for that!

I've got to tell you, I've been working in West Texas (Odessa) there ain't much there but oilfield, the pool scene is crazy! There is league nearly every night of the week and plenty of tournaments too. Cant speak on the action because I don't shoot straight enough to gamble!

Sent from my mobular device!

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
For amateur/Fargo/league OklahomaCity and Kansas City are both doin' pretty good these days. Quite a bit of action in OkC. as well. Ok.City is pretty centrally located, cost of living isn't bad and if you like to fish/hunt there's a lot in the area. Just gotta fade tornado season and you're good.

Theres a lot of quality players in the Midwest region historically. Okie city and Tulsa both have a ton of action from what I hear. Wichita has it's share of talented players with some gamble. Omaha used to be a hub of good action years ago, I imagine theres still action to be had.

Ive lived in Tornado alley most of my adult life, not a bad place for a roofer.

The name of this site AZ Billiards for a reason. It doesn't mean A to Z. It means AZ as in Arizona. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was originally to keep up with the Arizona pool scene.
Hints the word "keep up" I can get in 3 tournaments every day of the week if time permits and that's just in the west valley alone.

My list would be
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Florida
New york
Houston
OKC
Cali and of course you can get any kind of action in the big easy. Everything is legal there lol great city people and food but you don't want to get caught up down there. Suba driver's won't even dive in the mighty miss sipp. Perfect place to hide the bodies of bad hustlers 🤷‍♂️

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Phoenix is AMAZING for pool if you're in the right Fargo range. You can play tournaments almost every night of the week, and larger tournaments a couple times a month. All of the pool rooms have diamond tables and are kept in great shape. There is a Facebook group where everyone in the pool scene shares information.

If you're rated around 575 or under, this is where you need to be. If you're over 650, be prepared to watch everyone else play while you wait for an event that'll let you in.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Phoenix is AMAZING for pool if you're in the right Fargo range. You can play tournaments almost every night of the week, and larger tournaments a couple times a month. All of the pool rooms have diamond tables and are kept in great shape. There is a Facebook group where everyone in the pool scene shares information.

If you're rated around 575 or under, this is where you need to be. If you're over 650, be prepared to watch everyone else play while you wait for an event that'll let you in.

This is pretty interesting. What happens if you’re unknown and not rated?

For example, I’m probably around a 700 Fargo from what people have mentioned on here (seeing some videos of me play). I’ve run a 5 pack in tournament play (9 ball), I can beat the BiH ghost for 9 ball and 10 ball at will, my 14.1 high run is 140, my snooker high break is 128, and my English billiards high break is 114.

So let’s say I come to America with a bunch of money in my pocket, and one of you wise dudes shows me the ropes. Is there fun to be had for someone like me who is completely unknown and has not a single game entered in Fargo? I know it’s not like the “old days”, but is there enough to pay your way? Not make a living, I have no interest in that, but a month of fun with costs covered?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

For example, I’m probably around a 700 Fargo from what people have mentioned on here (seeing some videos of me play). I’ve run a 5 pack in tournament play (9 ball), I can beat the BiH ghost for 9 ball and 10 ball at will, my 14.1 high run is 140, my snooker high break is 128, and my English billiards high break is 114.

So let’s say I come to America with a bunch of money in my pocket, and one of you wise dudes shows me the ropes. Is there fun to be had for someone like me who is completely unknown and has not a single game entered in Fargo? I know it’s not like the “old days”, but is there enough to pay your way? Not make a living, I have no interest in that, but a month of fun with costs covered?
You'd be able to gamble with some of the stronger players. There are a handful of players here that would play sets with you for hundreds (some would bet thousands). Not many tournaments would let you in. They do have some "open" handicapped tournaments that would let you play at the max handicap, but you're giving up a lot of weight.

If you "snuck in" as a 575 rated player and won the tournament, the pitchforks would come out against you online and the tournament director would be criticized for letting you play. The pool community here is VEEEEERY protective of their money.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

A typical dead money schlub would be given a starter rating (525, etc) to play in tournaments if he doesn't have an established Fargo rating. If someone senses you are good, the tournament director might watch you play first and assign a different rating.

But, because of the pitchforks mentioned in the earlier comment, someone like you would be better off playing in open tournaments (if you went the tournament route at all).

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Go to buffalos in new orleans
You may or may not leave with your money
(From losing)
You could probably gamble your way around And win alot among the players that think they are better than they are
most strong players will gamble higher but then its who plays better
Jmho