Former straight pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stuart: Centuries ago an anonymous English writer extended this advice:

“When you create or achieve something that is possibly one of your finest efforts, you will enjoy the admiration of your peers, but take care to ignore envious and cynical critics. Dealing with such critics can be compared to being nibbled to death by ducks.”

Arnaldo

Also, there is Theodore Roosevelt's "The Man in the Arena" (a brilliant read)

(a couple of excerpts)

"It is not the critic who counts..."

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I’ve played longer than most on AZB, starting sometime in 1958. I grew up playing straight pool, and still play the game once a week on Tuesdays.
I love the game.

The achievement by John is so tremendous that it almost leaves adjectives in the dust.
Not just the crowning achievement of the eventual high run, but all the multi-hundred ball runs that he made during his dogged, dedicated run for the eventual finish line.

And, as one of the champions said earlier, to be able to maintain focus after reaching 500 but not yet 526, and to run another hundred after....well.....amazing. Simply incredible.

To be honest, it makes me feel good just to be able to spout a few words in support of John, his high run, and the additional interest in the game that it has generated.

Way to go, John! There are many, many thousands who take positive note of your accomplishment.
Kinda like Hemingway’s Santiago and his Marlin in The Old Man and the Sea.

Will Prout

Last edited:

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see why people cannot get behind John? When the video is released,

what will it be then? 626 balls. Shot in the pocket. On a 9 foot table. Things have

changed since Mosconi's run, and it still wasn't beaten until John did it. Maple cue?

Come on...really? Masters chalk? WTF! And coming from people who don't even know

where Thorsten is from, and have to 'look' into Appleton? Really? Do you even shoot pool?

Reaching real far with Varners quip also, NEITHER were in competition! But what do I know,

except all those living legends were not even close to beating 526, nevermind the new

record of 626.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve played longer than most on AZB, starting sometime in 1958. I grew up playing straight pool, and still play the game once a week on Tuesdays.
I love the game.

The achievement by John is so tremendous that it almost leaves adjectives in the dust.
Not just the crowning achievement of the eventual high run, but all the multi-hundred ball runs that he made during his dogged, dedicated run for the eventual finish line.

And, as one of the champions said earlier, to be able to maintain focus after reaching 500 but not yet 526, and to run another hundred after....well.....amazing. Simply incredible.

To be honest, it makes me feel good just to be able to spout a few words in support of John, his high run, and the additional interest in the game that it has generated.

Way to go, John! There are many, many thousands who take positive note of your accomplishment.

Will Prout

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is a great post coming from an awesome person thats been around the block and knows a thing or two.

Thank you sir,

Jeff

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the game.

Will Prout

End Thread/ Tell us about that Wimbledon white gold stripe

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stuart: Centuries ago an anonymous English writer extended this advice:

“When you create or achieve something that is possibly one of your finest efforts, you will enjoy the admiration of your peers, but take care to ignore envious and cynical critics. Dealing with such critics can be compared to being nibbled to death by ducks.”

Arnaldo

I prefer Richard Castellano's advice: "Leave the gun -- take the cannoli."

Lou Figueroa

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
So many things better to be doing with my time...

How nice.

Well, let's go through these.

Thorsten Hohmann - a Candian
I really wish this person was here contributing and telling stories.
Darren Appleton - a Brit
I really should look into him more.

This is an American Legend topic. I have no idea why they feel they can chime in except to say congrats.

<fun>
On the order of are there "Russians" messing with domestic policy, here you go.
</fun>

Nick Varner
"I think this run should be accepted for what it is. It's not a game situation in either case."

I don't think he is agreeing as you want. Translated it means, it is "John's best-ever high run" or whatever but not related or linked to Mosconi. If he wants to beat Mosconi, he needs to do it the same way, as the end of a game and no bank shots.

Mike Sigel
Put me down as a fan. I just wish when they put a mic on him the would actually let us listen to what he is saying.

"I don't think this should be questioned at all. Give him the credit."

No this isn't something that should be questioned. The evidence should be so clear that there is no room to question any aspect. But there is no tangible public evidence to support his claim that he, in fact, ran 626 balls with strict adherence to the rules except a statement from the BCA. This isn't the Miss whatever title and we are going to "Give" it sally because she tries so hard to keep the weight off. This is something earned by doing something amazing. Not having a good day on your practice table under a lot of sketchy conditions.

If you want the credit for beating Mosconi, then you need to beat him on his own turf, 1 game, 1 chance, one long run until you miss, with a ref, a normal rack, right side of the table, Maple cue, Masters, same table dimensions, no 5 hour boost, on a table used by the public, with the same kind of felt, balls, and a licensed attorney with a Notary to make it all nice and legal just like happened to the Legend. Hec you might as well drive there that day and sleep in your car for a while before you start at 8:00 before 50 or so near-strangers that have assembled in advanced who are having a few "pops" and waiting to see the famous you play pool.

Good luck with that.

Bottom line, you can't "GIVE HIM" an achievement he didn't earn.

What really sucks(besides your attitude) is I cannot leave you Red Rep without leaving a comment because I'm on my phone.

Have a nice day

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So many things better to be doing with my time...

How nice.

Well, let's go through these.

Thorsten Hohmann - a Candian
I really wish this person was here contributing and telling stories.
Darren Appleton - a Brit
I really should look into him more.

This is an American Legend topic. I have no idea why they feel they can chime in except to say congrats.

<fun>
On the order of are there "Russians" messing with domestic policy, here you go.
</fun>

Nick Varner
"I think this run should be accepted for what it is. It's not a game situation in either case."

I don't think he is agreeing as you want. Translated it means, it is "John's best-ever high run" or whatever but not related or linked to Mosconi. If he wants to beat Mosconi, he needs to do it the same way, as the end of a game and no bank shots.

Mike Sigel
Put me down as a fan. I just wish when they put a mic on him the would actually let us listen to what he is saying.

"I don't think this should be questioned at all. Give him the credit."

No this isn't something that should be questioned. The evidence should be so clear that there is no room to question any aspect. But there is no tangible public evidence to support his claim that he, in fact, ran 626 balls with strict adherence to the rules except a statement from the BCA. This isn't the Miss whatever title and we are going to "Give" it sally because she tries so hard to keep the weight off. This is something earned by doing something amazing. Not having a good day on your practice table under a lot of sketchy conditions.

If you want the credit for beating Mosconi, then you need to beat him on his own turf, 1 game, 1 chance, one long run until you miss, with a ref, a normal rack, right side of the table, Maple cue, Masters, same table dimensions, no 5 hour boost, on a table used by the public, with the same kind of felt, balls, and a licensed attorney with a Notary to make it all nice and legal just like happened to the Legend. Hec you might as well drive there that day and sleep in your car for a while before you start at 8:00 before 50 or so near-strangers that have assembled in advanced who are having a few "pops" and waiting to see the famous you play pool.

Good luck with that.

Bottom line, you can't "GIVE HIM" an achievement he didn't earn.

Would you still feel the same if SVB had ran the 626, or is it that you just don't care for John Schmidt?

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
Oh it's worse then you thought on Thorsten Hohmann

Would you still feel the same if SVB had ran the 626, or is it that you just don't care for John Schmidt?

yes and I don't know John.

I also don't know who's on first and what's on second.

I use the Lucassi cue called the hitman that was endorsed by him.

I have to get back to my projects, Big meeting for me in a couple of hours and yesterday and my mind is there. Sorry for the confusion but even if he endorsed the cue I have grown to love, I am an American defending one of its legends and arguing amongst many that do not possess the same ethics.

SVB can't do it. lol.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
yes and I don't know John.

I also don't know who's on first and what's on second.

I use the Lucassi cue called the hitman that was endorsed by him.

I have to get back to my projects, Big meeting for me in a couple of hours and yesterday and my mind is there. Sorry for the confusion but even if he endorsed the cue I have grown to love, I am an American defending one of its legends and arguing amongst many that do not possess the same ethics.

SVB can't do it. lol.
I guess you defended Babe Ruth's record from being beaten.....by another AMERICAN as well, right?

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That didn't take long at all.

It would be nice to read a thread about John where most, if not all of the posts are about John and what he has done.
What John did is amazing. I am very glad to hear from some well respected players who know what they are talking about. To the op thanks for sharing.

What John did doesn't erase Mosconi. You guys realize that right. You can still have your precious memories and celebrate a freakish achievement by another human being.

I don't care what minute detail you can dig out to make it seem like a walk in the park. You can't do it and neither has all but one and maybe a second person.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess you defended Babe Ruth's record from being beaten.....by another AMERICAN as well, right?

Sadly, some people did have an issue with Hank Aaron beating Ruth’s home run record. Death threats and all....a lot to do with his race.

I guess since Hank Aaron had around 4000 more at bats then Ruth, then his record doesn’t count. :shrug:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I saw Tony two weeks ago at his 14.1 Clinic at Amsterdam. One of the students in the class asked about John's record, and Tony was very happy to point out that the BCA has certified the record.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Sadly, some people did have an issue with Hank Aaron beating Ruth’s home run record. Death threats and all....a lot to do with his race.

I guess since Hank Aaron had around 4000 more at bats then Ruth, then his record doesn’t count. :shrug:

I've heard that ignorance is a blessing to some people, because without it, they would cease to exist!!!