Central CA vacation -- looking for poolrooms

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be all over the state for two weeks... Sequoia/King's Canyon, Monterrey, Morro Bay, Ventura. Found promising rooms in Pismo Beach and Gilroy. Any other suggestions? Well maintained "players's rooms" with big tables preferred but open to what may be out there.

Thanks in advance for your time.

foospot

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Billiard lounge

Santa maria ca

I dont think there is much action there though. About 15 or so 9 ftrs 2 valleys. Tables kept decently. I think tables are felted by the dominguezs. Beer and wine. Limited menu.

Last edited:

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be all over the state for two weeks... Sequoia/King's Canyon, Monterrey, Morro Bay, Ventura. Found promising rooms in Pismo Beach and Gilroy. Any other suggestions? Well maintained "players's rooms" with big tables preferred but open to what may be out there.

Jerry Machin's place in Ventura called Stixx(sp) and Sal Butera's room with Diamond tables in Moorpark.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monterey - Easy Street Billiards. The other room near the aquarium is closed I believe.

Gilroy - If it's still there, Garlic City Billiards

Pismo - forget about that room, not worth going to ...

Ventura - Stiix Billiards

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Santa maria ca

I dont think there is much action there though. About 15 or so 9 ftrs 2 valleys. Tables kept decently. I think tables are felted by the dominguezs. Beer and wine. Limited menu.

I'd be surprised if Ernesto and Oscar worked on those tables. They just didn't play right the last time I was there, maybe 9 months ago.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Encinitas is near San Diego though, isn't it?

Yes. Plus I wouldn't consider Pacific Cue a "players room". But they seem to have decent equipment.

Other Central California destinations with true players rooms -

Fresno
Capitola (near Santa Cruz)
Santa Barbara
Modesto
Visalia (if the room on Moody St. is still there)

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
I know if I were heading out that way I would put in the extra mileage to check out the Two Cushion Club in Fairfield. As soon as I found out it was Tony Annigoni's place and it was fashioned after the truly classic pool rooms of yore, I wanted to go there. It just seems like such a players room. Hopefully you can fit that in the schedule, I wish I could...

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

In Monterrey you can try Easy Street Billiards which, btw, is apparently for sale for $139,000. Up Hwy 1 a bit is Fast Eddie's in Capitola and Surf City Billiards in Santa Cruz. FE is more of a players room. The GC4's at Surf City are very nice but there's no action there, it is more of a family room.

Anything in the Ventura area, just ask 8ballEinstein, who has already posted here.

The best thing about the room in Pismo is that there is renown clam chowder just down the street - easy to find, just look for the line out the door and down the block. Even in the summer there's a line for hot soup.:confused:

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
If you get a little further south, Danny K's is a nice room in Anaheim. It doesn't seem like an action room though. I saw the room in Pismo Beach but didn't go in so I can't comment on that one.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you get a little further south, Danny K's is a nice room in Anaheim. It doesn't seem like an action room though. I saw the room in Pismo Beach but didn't go in so I can't comment on that one.

I've been in the room in Pismo. There are a lot of tables and they play decent

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

Well, if you're going that far south don't drive by Hard Times on the way to Danny K's. :D

-------

Almost forgot, if you're working your way down the coast a stop in at Don Q in Santa Barbara would be worthwhile. Nice owners and good equipment. Great location right in downtown SB.

Last edited:

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other Central California destinations with true players rooms -

Fresno
Capitola (near Santa Cruz)
Santa Barbara
Modesto
Visalia (if the room on Moody St. is still there)

Great info, all of you... I'm pumped!

The Visalia room appears to be gone.

Which place is the pick of the litter in Fresno?

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great info, all of you... I'm pumped!

The Visalia room appears to be gone.

Which place is the pick of the litter in Fresno?

Sorry to hear the room in Visalia is gone. It was a big room and had good equipment. Still, it didn't look like they attracted many of customers. Too bad.

In Fresno, I usually go to The Rack, but I understand the room to go to now is the one further north on Blackstone Avenue (don't remember the name). I might have been there before, if it was the old Blackstone Billiards near Sierra Avenue. They had a nice setup the way I remember it.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Sorry to hear the room in Visalia is gone. It was a big room and had good equipment. Still, it didn't look like they attracted many of customers. Too bad.

In Fresno, I usually go to The Rack, but I understand the room to go to now is the one further north on Blackstone Avenue (don't remember the name). I might have been there before, if it was the old Blackstone Billiards near Sierra Avenue. They had a nice setup the way I remember it.

I think that is Diamond Billiards north of The Rack on Blackstone.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been in the room in Pismo. There are a lot of tables and they play decent

Maybe things have changed since I've been there. I visited the place a maybe three times over many years. It's one of two pool rooms I've seen converted from a movie theatre (Charles Billiards in Burbank is the other).

The last time I was there I asked for a table on the lower level. The guy behind the counter said that was their "Pro table". Well, even though I wouldn't be mistaken for a pro, I told him I'd like to rent it. He was hesitant but let me have it. I shot on it and found it rolling off quite a bit. The rails were bouncing inconsistently. After each shot, I couldn't figure out where the cue ball would end up - a total crap shoot. When I returned the balls, I told the guy behind the counter, "Your pros must really Like that table". He said, "Oh yes. They do".

This made me laugh for the next couple of hours because I know there aren't any pros in the area. I think Art is the top shooter for miles around and I know he doesn't go there.