keeping a notebook for shots im missing

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so I got tired of missing the same shot, over and over again. went to Office Depot to buy a notebook. ran into a crew of 9 year olds in the clearance section, buying school supplies. one kid says what are you doing gramps, going back to school as I grabbed a cheap notebook??? I said yea kid, im going to billiard school:mad::mad::mad:

so after missing my first shot that has been bothering me, I wrote a diagram on the first piece of paper and drew out the shot. the first day I added three shots, and now after a week I have 9 shots total.

started out by hitting each shot with 15 balls, twice a day during my practice sessions.
once I figured out the angle, the proper English to apply and the speed, I started making the shot. and I kept making the shot, over and over again.

so now these somewhat tough shots are almost automatic for me now

(I had been wanting to buy a notebook for this purpose for a while, glad I finally did it. )

who knew that just a simple two dollar notebook could help me out this much:):):):):)

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a great idea.Everytime I get a shot where I didnt execute correct or I didnt pick the right shot or safety I write it down and shoot it later until I do.Just more tricks for the bag.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I would have told those kids, no way am I going back to school, it's like jail. You sorry suckers got years left.

Check out Tom Simpson's article "100 misses".

Try those shots you are now making with different kinds of english. Your doing yourself a disservice using only one kind of English on a shot.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(I had been wanting to buy a notebook for this purpose for a while, glad I finally did it. )

who knew that just a simple two dollar notebook could help me out this much:):):):):)

You still using one of these antique phones? :grin:
1985cellphone-743277.JPG

cda097f4fae2250eb0be40da8f816e12.jpg

My problem is I can't even hand write properly on notebooks anymore so don't use them anymore :frown:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was doing this for about a month, then I switched over to my phone just taking pictures. If I miss a shot and can't move the balls back, I use a drawing application to draw it and take a screen shot.

I keep the general drawing of a empty pool table in the drawing app "saved" so every time I open the app it comes up. Then I just draw on that with my finger, screenshot that, then close the app without saving the original so I can keep the drawing of the empty table for next time (I also have a screenshot of the blank table for a back up in case I save over the original).

The notebook thing became cumbersome when I went to organize similar shots :-/

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so I got tired of missing the same shot, over and over again. went to Office Depot to buy a notebook. ran into a crew of 9 year olds in the clearance section, buying school supplies. one kid says what are you doing gramps, going back to school as I grabbed a cheap notebook??? I said yea kid, im going to billiard school:mad::mad::mad:

so after missing my first shot that has been bothering me, I wrote a diagram on the first piece of paper and drew out the shot. the first day I added three shots, and now after a week I have 9 shots total.

started out by hitting each shot with 15 balls, twice a day during my practice sessions.
once I figured out the angle, the proper English to apply and the speed, I started making the shot. and I kept making the shot, over and over again.

I do something similar but just put the notes into my phone.

Lou Figueroa

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just hope those shots don't come up again and go watch cat videos on youtube, then if they do come up in a match and I miss I generally blame the equipment and get drunk at the bar.

Both ways work I guess... ;)

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simular

I would run out of paper.
I did something similar, I set up a old video recorder and turned it on every time I practiced, or a buddy stopped by my house. After I had recorded a few tapes I watched it and found out 90 percent of the shots I missed, I shot too hard, or tried to juice the ball too much.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good idea for sure, but record the details and look for trends. A miss when you use maximum outside or maximum inside is a different puppy than a miss with no english, as you can miss such shots by getting the speed wrong, either underthrowing or overthrowing relative to what was intended.

Did you misjudge the aim? Did you jump up on the shot? Why did you miss? If you record this, you'll get more out of your good habit of taking notes.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

The notebook can be valuable for times out shooting and it being hard to remember the shots missed (I miss a lot, there are just so damn many of them).

So when it comes to missed balls and working on them. I only worry about the balls that I feel I should be making. Like dogging a ball or a shot that isn't too hard but you missed it anyway. Basically miss that shouldnt have been a miss... not so much the testers.

So I mark the balls with pennies on my home table, just so I know im putting them in the same spot every time and using minimal time to set them up between shots. I pull out 10 object balls and shot them. The balls I make stay down, the balls I miss stay up. I write down my results.

I do this 10 times so it is 100 shots. You will then have good notes showing a decent percentage for you on that particular shot and also see if you have improved over the course of doing it.

Shooting it 100 times, really doesnt take too long and you can catch a gear on that particular shot where your mind will just know what to do when faced with it next time.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I like the notebook idea, but instead of pennies I like those Hole reinforcements aka
doughnuts or as we called them in the Navy paper a$$holes. Balls roll right over them
and easy to remove.

hank

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iPhone video.. I'll go practice in the back, set up my phone on a little stand,
work on problem shots. I've got a little bluetooth remote so I can start and stop
recording. There's always a 'WTF am I doing?' moment when looking at
the videos.