Deflection

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Ok im a bit bored

But do you guys ever think about the cue ball deflecting and compensate for it?

A stiff hitting conical taper for sure deflects the cue ball

Why is it all the rage for pool players and carom players never seem to bring it up
Ever

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok im a bit bored

But do you guys ever think about the cue ball deflecting and compensate for it?

A stiff hitting conical taper for sure deflects the cue ball

Why is it all the rage for pool players and carom players never seem to bring it up
Ever

Just a lowly amateur carrom banger here, but I think about deflection and serve all the time when I am shooting.

Just last night I had several long table shots that I needed correct spin off the first ball -> rail to make it work. Definitely made adjustments for deflection and serve to pull them off. Sometimes had to try 2-3 times to make the shot work as intended.

I have not spent a lot of time on the table getting the cloth - distance factor figured out to do these.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I stated I was practicing last night, I will say I had a crazy thought that might get more interest in carom games.

I was talking to someone with a very long history of playing pool, about carom. I had seen him playing on the carom tables a few weeks prior and asked him what he was playing. He said 3 cushion. We talked a bit about how it is such a frustrating game for us mere mortals. I mentioned that if it so frustrating then play straight rail or 1 cushion - much easier.

He did not know anything about these games.So I briefly told him the rules and that for most people attempting 3 cushion before being any good at these is like cliff diving without knowing how to swim.

Anyway, my thought that occurred was this.

Why not combine all three into a single game?

Simple scoring

1 point a simple legal straight rail hit shot (no rail hit)
2 (maybe 3) points for a 1 legal cushion shot
5 points for a legal 3 cushion shot.

Could insert a 2 rail score in there just for fun.

This way the player can choose what shot to make, gets to keep shooting upon success, and gets a benefit going for more challenging shot?

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I mentioned that if it so frustrating then play straight rail or 1 cushion - much easier.

He did not know anything about these games.So I briefly told him the rules and that for most people attempting 3 cushion before being any good at these is like cliff diving without knowing how to swim.

thank you for this, give them options if they are frustrated

tried to give you another green on that post but i must spread some around before doing so

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I stated I was practicing last night, I will say I had a crazy thought that might get more interest in carom games.

I was talking to someone with a very long history of playing pool, about carom. I had seen him playing on the carom tables a few weeks prior and asked him what he was playing. He said 3 cushion. We talked a bit about how it is such a frustrating game for us mere mortals. I mentioned that if it so frustrating then play straight rail or 1 cushion - much easier.

Simple scoring

This way the player can choose what shot to make, gets to keep shooting upon success, and gets a benefit going for more challenging shot?

There is a game called 10-20 that is along these lines. 1 pt for a one cushion carom, 2 pts for a 2 cushion carom, 3 pts for a 3 or more cushion carom.

Twist: you have to hit 10 and 20 exactly - hence the name. For example, if you have 9 and make a 2 cushion Carom you go back to 1 (2 if you made a 3 or more cushion Carom). If you have 19 and make a 3 cushion Carom you go back to 12.

Usually played as a gambling game. At our senior center they play $1 for the game and $0.10 per hickey, which is a kiss or any other invalid contact.

Personally I don't care for it.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time you hit the cueball away from its center axis, there is deflection, whatever the shaft design! HOWEVER, the ability of the cueball to return to the desired line, compensating for that deflection with the centripetal spin generated by the contact, is faster, i.e. sooner, with a conical shaft than with a standard pool taper -- BECAUSE, the conical shaft absorbs less energy from the stroke, whereas the flex from a pool taper consumes part of the energy that would be imparted to the cueball (spin), which means the cueball takes longer to correct its course (it is spinning slower from the pool shaft than from the conical shaft.) Physics don't lie....

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I think the conical taper should be the only taper used for any billiard game!

Thank you for the post ron

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Simple scoring

I do that scoring set when plaaying billiards on my pool table. Those pockets get in the way for so many 3c shots.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I do that scoring set when plaaying billiards on my pool table. Those pockets get in the way for so many 3c shots.

On a 10' pool table, with the, 1ball, 3 ball and Q ball, I practice 3 cushion. I have run, just the other day a 12, and a 15 about 4 years ago. Many, many, 3's 4's 5's regularly. When I pocket an object ball in a pocket, I spot that ball in the center of the table, and continue!

I enjoy playing 3C on a pool table, it's challenging!

seanandnik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other tapers

I think the conical taper should be the only taper used for any billiard game!

Thank you for the post ron
Have you tried other tapers ? I’m talking about carom tapers, not pool pro tapers,I know of a few other tapers, Longoni makes 2/3 ,Tiger has a unique taper, Kilby offers 2, Lambros made a parabolic taper he says that Sang Lee borrowed and ran a 15 with at a SBE expo years ago in front of his then sponsor ??? who was pissed. There is way more involved in tapers than I’ll ever understand, just know what feels right to my lowly game.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Have you tried other tapers ? I’m talking about carom tapers, not pool pro tapers,I know of a few other tapers, Longoni makes 2/3 ,Tiger has a unique taper, Kilby offers 2, Lambros made a parabolic taper he says that Sang Lee borrowed and ran a 15 with at a SBE expo years ago in front of his then sponsor ??? who was pissed. There is way more involved in tapers than I’ll ever understand, just know what feels right to my lowly game.

No i havent i dont have the time or money to invest to try
Picking 1 cue and knowing it is key for me i think

Ive got my 1 pool cue my pool game is better than ever
A veneered hoppe titleist conversion

Now im looking for one thick enough to convert into a carom cue and be done with it

A veneered hoppe titleist converted into a carom cue would be the koolest

I like old and plain stuff

seanandnik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why

If you haven’t tried any other tapers, then why would you state that conical tapers should be the only taper for caroms ? Everyone is entitled to their opinions but at least have some knowledge or facts to defend them

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Ok, I’m done , have a nice day

Replying to the red rep
I dont get red rep as you can see, i just bring CAROM to peoples eyes and like everyone else state my opinions

Again no i haven't tried other tapers
I dont have the money to buy and try 7 cues a month with 30 dollar tips and 500 dollar shafts

Apparently you do know it all however and im glad for you

I just keep it simple

Now you have a nice day

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-10-09-40-50.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-10-09-40-50.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 136