Lathe referral?

RUMMY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking to do my own tip repair and minor shaft work, cleaning, and was wondering if there are any lathes out there for those demands in the $300.00 range? Thanks for the suggestions!

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking to do my own tip repair and minor shaft work, cleaning, and was wondering if there are any lathes out there for those demands in the $300.00 range? Thanks for the suggestions!

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I researched on-line and asked other pool repairmen what they would do. A Cuesmith lathe (I bought the mid size) will serve you better in the long. Right out of the box you will be able to do all you want. Now the bad news; save up for a good used one (check with Chris Hightower here on AZ Billiards) for recommendations. You’ll be happier in the long run with a better lathe, especially when you can replace ferrules and tenons with ease. Good luck in your search and I hope you find a good lathe.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Rummy, I dont think you will find anything useful in that price range.
After the lathe comes all the tooling and accessory's you will need to accomplish the things you are wanting to do.
I doubt you can tool up and supply a cue repair lathe for $300.
Tom1234 is right ... save up your coins.
First thing you need to buy is Chris hightower's book on cue making and repair.
After reading his book you will have a better understanding as to what all you will need to do what you want.
Unique's cue companion has a DVD with it to show you all the things it can do and how to set it up for each task.
Trying to find a used one is very hard and if you do find one it will be priced way above $300.
However almost all the tooling you would need should come with it.

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unique

I second Willis suggestion- if you can find one used it will work well for you. Jim will help with advice etc... Great guy to deal with.

If you can get a Model 3 you can convert house cues to b/j cues too. For the investment you can't lose. You can sell it if you want something more sophisticated and get your money back. Good luck!

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rummy where are you located? I ask because I have something i have been thinking of selling but shipping would be a killer.