Snooker rules questions.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is a free ball and why is it given?

Also, when a player makes a color and opens the pack of reds, sometimes a red will find a pocket, and it is end of break. Why is this, and what is the thinking in a game where flukes are good shots?

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When a player makes a foul shot the incoming player gets some points (typically 4, more if the shot involved the blue, the pink or the black) and he has some options:
a) if it was called a miss, he can say to the ref to move the balls to their original position and make the other player shoot again
b) make the other player shoot from where the cue ball ended up
c) play himself from where the cue ball ended up.

If after a foul the cue ball ended up in a spot where you can't see a red fully (both extreme edges of the red ball) the ref will call a free ball. In a free ball situation the incoming player has the option to shoot at a color as if it was a red ball.

For example, player A plays safe. Player B makes a foul shot and leaves the cue ball in a place where player A can't see a red ball fully. Ref calls a free ball. Player A gets 4 points from the foul and chooses to play the free ball. He pots the blue (or the pink, or the black, it doesn't matter) and it counts as 1 point. The ball gets respotted and player A continues the break normally, playing a color (that counts normally this time).

As for your second question, i don't know. I do know that the shots on the colors are nominated. You can't say that you'll shoot the yellow and hit the green, it's a foul. So it's a weird situation, because you don't have to call which red you're going for, but you have to say which color you're going for..

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
...As for your second question, i don't know. I do know that the shots on the colors are nominated. You can't say that you'll shoot the yellow and hit the green, it's a foul. So it's a weird situation, because you don't have to call which red you're going for, but you have to say which color you're going for..

When shooting a color you can only make that color (in any pocket). Additional balls are considered a foul (just like making the blue and scratching the cue ball). Remember the largest point involved is the amount of foul.

Examples:
Shooting the Black(7) and scratching the cue ball is a -7 point foul.
Making a red and at the same time making a Pink(6) is -6
Minimum foul is 4 points regardless of which balls are involved.
Two balls left on the table Pink (6) and Black (7). You need to hit the Pink (no rail is required). You are hooked by the Black and try and swerve around the Black but clip the Black. -7. Miss the Pink and don't touch the Black it's -6.

I did this once. Was on a run and had a very thin Blue in the side. Wound up and stroked the Blue in Made the Pink off the pack and caromed a the Black and a red into bottom two pockets (Made 4 balls). Took a -7 penalty because the black was the greatest foul. Thankfully they are not accumulative.

https://www.wpbsa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/official-rules-of-the-game.pdf

All is explained above.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
In my opinion....the free ball rule should've been taken out and shot a long time ago.
...as soon as someone thought of the 'shoot again after any foul' option.

In the 30s, it was known as the 'professional's rule'....eventually the Control Council
adopted the new rule, but the pros and amateurs kept the 'free ball' also...:scratchhead:

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see i see thank you. Wana hear a funny story i posted this exact post in the az snooker forum and in a week it had “83” views and 0 responses

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As to answer your second question more closely... in Snooker everything is about the colored balls. The reds are just 1 point and as such don't really matter, and you can of course fluke them (or more than one).

The colors are where you score your points with; as such you need to nominate a color and you are only allowed to pocket this one, and only this one (no reds allowed, too).

Snooker is about precision and calm play, and this rule is there to avoid players just smashing balls around.

Cheers,
M

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they already have a version of snooker awarding ball in hand for fouls and rail after contact
required

this WILL be the future (don't believe me, ask Barry Hearn)

rules as is on fouls suck

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they already have a version of snooker awarding ball in hand for fouls and rail after contact
required

Totally agree. The "roll-up" on a ball hook is a JOKE. Not having to drive a ball to rail is ridiculous. Those old limey farts that wrote the rules must have been slammin' the gin-n-tonics while writing them.

HurdyGurdy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
required

Okay, I just got off the horn with Barry--he said Cheers, by the way--and he said you are correct about the rules. He went further and said the new dress code would be sweat pants, dirty baseball cap, and a t-shirt at least 1 size too large.

Seriously, they also had a variation of snooker called 10 Ball that only lasted a season that had all the basic ball inn hand and rail contact bullshit everyone in America is desperate for, and the game fared as well as Bonus Ball, as in no one cared.

Barry's also marginally excited that he now owns a part of the US Open.