International Travel Pool Events

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Traveling on planes or through specific airports does anyone have tips for packing the cue?

would you keep it separate or put it in larger luggage?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Traveling on planes or through specific airports does anyone have tips for packing the cue?

Be aware that U.S. citizens are not able to travel as openly as before. We are facing restrictions on our travel all over the world today. Many countries where we could travel to before are now requiring that we obtain a visa for entry first. You could get quarantined for 14 days as well upon arrival. Thank you DJT.

justnum

Silver Member
Be aware that U.S. citizens are not able to travel as openly as before. We are facing restrictions on our travel all over the world today. Many countries where we could travel to before are now requiring that we obtain a visa for entry first. You could get quarantined for 14 days as well upon arrival. Thank you DJT.

I understand you provide extra information unrelated to the post.

If you are suggesting I send my cue to DJT and ask him to pass it me after I arrive, that is a big favor.

I thought the high end billiard community would have access to private flights or something.

I could just send it regular mail, but from all the pictures on the forum, I don't want it damaged. I will probably just buy local, the problem is some countries don't have cue dealers. That leaves me using a house cue.

Thanks for sharing but next time dont share so much.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I find it remarkable that given the amount of time you've been here you ask such a thing.

justnum

Silver Member
I find it remarkable that given the amount of time you've been here you ask such a thing.

I've only flown with the cue once, all the other times I drove.

It was to DCC and I wasn't happy about how the airport failed to process the cue properly. I just couldn't fit it in my luggage, not straight, not diagnoal.

But international locations, can't be driven to, unless you can airlift me or load me into a sea worthy vessel.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If they let you bring your cue on the plane, do so, but otherwise ....

I have traveled to Europe with my cue and my standard approach is to bring my biggest suitcase so that my cue, inside a very small case, will fit in the piece of luggage. I'll also pack my playing accessories in my luggage. I do own one suitcase that is big enough for the job. Most airlines will allow bringing a larger cue case onto the plane as long as it is empty.

Of course, if the luggage is lost, the value of an an expensive cue will generally not be recouped. If you don't mind paying for the added baggage fee, and assuming you have a case that's good enough to keep your cue safe in flight, you can check your cue separately as a second bag. This is a strong argument for direct flights with no connections when you travel internationally with an expensive cue.

If you have a very expensive cue and can't afford to chance losing it, unless you can bring it on the plane, it's safer to ship it as you can insure it for its full replacement value, but unless you ship early, you risk delayed delivery and not getting your cue by the date you need it.

If traveling or shipping to a very cold climate, you may want to take additional measures in packing. One option is to wrap your cue (inside your cue case) in a winter sleeping bag or heavy blanket to further weatherproof it and then put it in either a suitcase or box.

justnum

Silver Member
thanks for the confirmation. your green is maxed

If they let you bring your cue on the plane, do so, but otherwise ....

I have traveled to Europe with my cue and my standard approach is to bring my biggest suitcase so that my cue, inside a very small case, will fit in the piece of luggage. I'll also pack my playing accessories in my luggage. I do own one suitcase that is big enough for the job. Most airlines will allow bringing a larger cue case onto the plane as long as it is empty.

Of course, if the luggage is lost, the value of an an expensive cue will generally not be recouped. If you don't mind paying for the added baggage fee, and assuming you have a case that's good enough to keep your cue safe in flight, you can check your cue separately as a second bag. This is a strong argument for direct flights with no connections when you travel internationally with an expensive cue.

If you have a very expensive cue and can't afford to chance losing it, unless you can bring it on the plane, it's safer to ship it as you can insure it for its full replacement value, but unless you ship early, you risk delayed delivery and not getting your cue by the date you need it.

If traveling or shipping to a very cold climate, you may want to take additional measures in packing. One option is to wrap your cue (inside your cue case) in a winter sleeping bag or heavy blanket to further weatherproof it and then put it in either a suitcase or box.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best check quarantine restrictions for your destination. The cost is on your dime, and you may have to share room with someone you don't know.

justnum

Silver Member
Best check quarantine restrictions for your destination. The cost is on your dime, and you may have to share room with someone you don't know.

that is for people without a residence

many travelers flying having multiple listed residences

Nancy Pelosi doesnt get her hair done to stay at home. She has places to go and people to look good for.

I might ask her to go with me to a pool room in another country. Do you think I have a shot?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
that is for people without a residence

many travelers flying having multiple listed residences

Nancy Pelosi doesnt get her hair done to stay at home. She has places to go and people to look good for.

I might ask her to go with me to a pool room in another country. Do you think I have a shot?

After shes had a few shots I think you have a great shot!!!!!!

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Again, get insurance on your cues via an "inland marine" rider, or the like.
Value is stipulated. All risks are covered. Worldwide coverage. Any insurance guys out there?

justnum

Silver Member
Again, get insurance on your cues via an "inland marine" rider, or the like.
Value is stipulated. All risks are covered. Worldwide coverage. Any insurance guys out there?

the locals get more excited when they can keep the house cue

it'd be nice to show them the new stuff, jumps and breaks are mainly for the wealthy in the pool world.

I am not looking for insurance referrals. Just packing help and transit help through airport.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Put it in a hard tube or case and put that in your larger checked suit case.
But if you want to have a cue shipped get a three foot by 4 inch section of pvc drain pipe and bubble wrap your cue inside of that and put that inside a rectangle box and ship it fully insured.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I thought the high end billiard community would have access to private flights or something.

Now that's just plane funny.... <<<see what I did there

Every time I fly into the states with my cues they go into a soft case and swaddled inside my large hard bodied suitcase. My JB case comes on the plane as carry on.

Maybe I should look into whether or not Westjet offers discounts on GulfStreams to pool players.

justnum

Silver Member
Now that's just plane funny.... <<<see what I did there

Every time I fly into the states with my cues they go into a soft case and swaddled inside my large hard bodied suitcase. My JB case comes on the plane as carry on.

Maybe I should look into whether or not Westjet offers discounts on GulfStreams to pool players.

Pool players are regulars to the flying industry. The flying industry is looking for dedicated business, it couldn't hurt to try.

Are you ok with making the sale? Its more of an inquiry for business accounts, the problem is who does the pool world trust with that sort of thing?

if i am trying to be funny that means I have a huge headache, whats it mean for you

I see people viewing online, its there for links, just speak up. I don't bite, well maybe I do write bits, mostly 10s.

Last edited: