How can I avoid chalk smears on the ferrule? (caused by case)

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been told that the shaft should be placed tip-down into my case, which i've always done, but the problem is that the chalk from the tip smears off onto the ferrule. Even with me wiping the tip before I store it.
I hate the way it looks. How can I avoid this? What happens if I store my shaft with the tip pointing up?

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
I've been told that the shaft should be placed tip-down into my case, which i've always done, but the problem is that the chalk from the tip smears off onto the ferrule. Even with me wiping the tip before I store it.
I hate the way it looks. How can I avoid this? What happens if I store my shaft with the tip pointing up?

Most cases don't allow tip up storage. The shaft will not fit tip up. If inserted joint down, it will either not fit, jam or tear the liner.

I have an Instroke which is tip down only, and don't have this problem because I wipe the chalk off tip before I put the shaft away. I also wipe down the shaft. That's a good practice since the chalk, oil, sweat and other grunge doesn't get to really dry out and settle onto the shaft inside your case. It also keeps the lining of the shaft tubes cleaner.

While you're wiping down the shaft, it's no big deal to quickly wipe off the chalk from the tip.

You don't have to get it perfectly clean. Just get the bulk of the chalk off, which is all the loose chalk. Takes 1 wipe and you eliminated 95% of the problem.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Put a finger condom on the tip before you put it in the case. Someone on here makes tip covers. Johnnyt

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Put a finger condom on the tip before you put it in the case. Someone on here makes tip covers. Johnnyt
If the case has a tight fit the tip covers may come off down inside the case. The only solution I can think of is to do a good job of cleaning off the tip prior to inserting it in the case.

justaguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
To me, using those covers is over the top. Too inconvenient and anal.

I try and strike a balance. I don't want to be a slob and just toss my chalked up shaft into my case creating a big dusty mess where my cue is grungy. So I'll take the time to do a quick wipe down. But going to extent of carrying those things around, and taking them off and on is just a hassle.

I like to keep my case clean and protect it from unnecessary damage, but when you have a case that is so nice that you're scared to get it dirty or damaged - it's no longer a case. A case needs a case to protect it!

Almost reminds me of joint protectors. What's the point of those? If your case isn't protective enough of the cue where you need joint protectors, consider getting a better case.

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like I said, I do wipe the chalk off before storage, but it still smears.

Sounds like you might not have always wiped the chalk off first and the inside of the tube now has chalk dust on it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Go find a Dollar Store, or 99 CENT Store, and buy a Micro fibre Cloth, When you are done playing pool, spin you Tip on the Carpet, or if it is NASTY, spin the Chalk off on the Micro Fibre Cloth. What I am say is get the Chalk of the Tip and Ferrel before you put stuff back in you case.

Recently say a guy in the pool room with all this BLUE CHALK inside the part of the Case where Buuts, and Shaft go. He is a Mister Piggy so it is how he takes care of stuff.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member

Was this a used case that somebody just dropped their shaft in without regard for outcome? I've seen a great many people from beginners to pro do this. If you're wiping your tip off, you shouldn't see this mess. What I do is use the paper towel I dry my hands with after washing them to wipe my shaft down and I wipe the tip until I see no more chalk coming off. Don't do the "wipe the tip on the carpet trick".

justaguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how can i avoid...

in the "what's in the case" episode that Ralf Souquet filmed for inside pool, he explains that his dad makes what he calls "case protectors" and that he sells them.

here is the video, look at around the 50 second mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42yd7Q4hu_w

now, how in the world you would get a hold of Ralf Souquet to purchase some is beyond me...

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Almost reminds me of joint protectors. Whats the point of those.
Maybe for protecting your pin and insert for when the cue isn't in the case.
To keep the edging of your cues clean as to not have a dirt build up which might cause your cue to roll, then you'll have to clean the egdes or have the cue refaced.
Matching JPs compliment your cue as much as the case does.

Or, most importantly, so you can drop one on the floor when taking it off your cue, have it roll away so you can spend a half hour searching for it.

Last edited:

The Clever Set

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point of joint protectors is to keep dirt and humidity out of the joint of your cue. They can also protect your joint pin if a drunk runs into you while you're handling the butt of your cue and it hits the barroom floor. Basically, they're cheap insurance.

Good enough reason for you?

Almost reminds me of joint protectors. What's the point of those? If your case isn't protective enough of the cue where you need joint protectors, consider getting a better case.

The Clever Set

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put the shafts in my case tip up/joint down, always have, with no issues. This worked in my It's George case and it works in my Instroke.

Did you happen to get a reason why from the person who told you to put your shafts in tip down?

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put the shafts in my case tip up/joint down, always have, with no issues. This worked in my It's George case and it works in my Instroke.

Did you happen to get a reason why from the person who told you to put your shafts in tip down?

Actually, no he didn't give me the reason. It was someone with Pechauer. I called to ask about general maintenance and cleaning and I asked him how they should be stored. It didn't occur to me at the time that I would get chalk on my shaft py storing it tip down :confused:

I've purchased a cheap (walmart) cue rack for now. I don't play outside of my home at all so I'll just keep my cue in the rack from now on. Unfortunately I already have some smears on the ferrule and on the shaft. :(

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
..... also, the inside of the case can be cleaned with Kwik Klean or Chalk Off.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
If your are really anal about having a clean ferrule get have them replaced with ivory.

Another is to use a lighter color chalk such as tan, grey and etc.

Try cleaning the ferrule with a Magic Eraser, then applying a wax to seal the pores and help repel the chalk or make it easier to remove.