Cue that you regretted selling/losing.

pinoyincalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please share if you ever had a cue that you regretted being lost (eg.selling, getting stolen, broken, etc.). If so, please mention why you wish you still have it. Mine would have been my old Greg Hearn which was stolen. I miss it because it was the first custom cue that I ever had and played with. When I had it, I was a broke student, and I never had the thought of selling it.

bank buster

Bank Buster
Silver Member
Mine was a cheaper cue, a Schmelke with an 11mm tip. I played some of my best pool with that cue and it was unfortunately broken in a bar brawl years ago.

jwe711

The Great Cue Masters...!
Silver Member
I regret going to the bathroom up at Clicks Billiards on Skillman in Dallas...

My Jerry McWorter disappeared.

I've hated that place ever since, bunch of freaking thieves !!!

Not everyone in there was a thief...but they know who they are !!!

Scratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Steve Klein Palmer tribute. I traded it and cash for a bigger fancier cue. Big mistake! The cue played jam up.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Three stand out...

Please share if you ever had a cue that you regretted being lost (eg.selling, getting stolen, broken, etc.). If so, please mention why you wish you still have it. Mine would have been my old Greg Hearn which was stolen. I miss it because it was the first custom cue that I ever had and played with. When I had it, I was a broke student, and I never had the thought of selling it.

The MEUCCI LARRY HUBBART LH-2 that I played with from '81 through '87.
Had several of my best years with this one, but when I had a poor showing at the VNEA Nationals in '87 I got depressed and retired for several years. I sold the Hubbart to a close friend. I tried to buy it back, but he wouldn't do it.

The 1988 MEUCCI SNEAKY that I played with from 1991 to 1995 when it was stolen. Had what were probably my best two years, 93-95 with that one.

A truly gorgeous Pechauer Custom Sneaky that I bought in 2007. It came with two Pred shafts, and the butt was a solid piece of very curly maple. Sold it two years ago, and really regret it.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
For me it was a Schon STL-11. It was hand picked out of a group of ten, or so, at the Schon factory by Runde himself, then sent to Hawley's, where I bought it. There are a lot of colors on the model 11, and these were especially bright.
I sold it to a guy who worked at the Palace, in Tulsa. :smile:

bakermaker

Recreational Player
Silver Member
Early 90's Joss

I had a Joss I bought brand new in Houston around 94' for around $425. One of my buddies at the pool hall just loved that cue and always begged me to sell it to him. I got a job working offshore so I didn't think I would need the cue anymore as I was getting out of the game. My "buddy" made a partial payment and skipped town. Months later I caught up with him and he gave me a sad story about how he had to pawn the cue for utility bills, etc., etc... I still regret getting rid of the cue since I have picked up the game again. The saddest part to me is that I dont know what the model number is haven't seen one like it since.

pool4u

Hola Paco
Silver Member
Definitely regret selling the Gilbert break/jump, but no others.

And I have been tempted to sell the old Helmstetter/Adams Monte Carlo; but haven't.

I don't regret selling that cue with the floating 8 & 9-ball in the butt. What was that? A Player? Crazy kids. :) Or wait. I did sell that right?

Inventory time.

jfowle23

Registered
I will never sell another cue again !!! I had a Schon LTD that I bought at the U.S. Open one year that was the best shooting pool cue I had ever played with. It was very similar to the current CX24 but much cooler looking. I have owned many Schon's since and none have been as nice as that one. I currently play with a Josey SP with a moorei m/s tip.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gave a level 1 Huebler to a boy that lived below me one day. It was an inexpensive cue and the boy was getting straight A grades in school. I wanted to reward him so I gave him the cue on a whim. Sometimes I wish I still had it.

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mvc-TimScruggsFL012f_jpg.htm

I had this Scruggs about 10 years ago that I bought for about $800 along with an Instroke case. I was a broke college student, and sold it on Ebay for about $1100, thinking I made a hell of a deal.

That cue would be worth 3x nowadays...

http://www.proficientbilliards.com/cues/TimScruggs/ivory_spears/pages/Mvc-TimScruggsFL012f_jpg.htm

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Cue

I regret having my Huebler Sneaky Pete stolen from me. I had that cue for 19 years, and it was named 'Sara'.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here's one I had, but got away:

(insert flashback music)

Back in 1977 I was lucky enough to win a qualifier for the National 8ball Championship. It was held in Dayton, OH, if I recall. At that tournament, every player was given a free Viking cue -- it was a merry widow style cue and had a clear plastic sleeve in the butt underneath which it said something like "Nation Eight Ball Tournament" in gold on black. It was probably worth about $25 at the time. I came home and threw it in my closet.

A few months later I'm playing in the Montana State Eight Ball Tournament. This is a big huge honking deal up north because basically every bar up there has two million league teams of various configurations playing 8ball all winter and so there are several hundred players playing in a hotel in downtown Great Falls.

My tip had come off my playing cue a few days before and I was concerned that my basement glue job might not take, so, just as a back up, I pull the freebie cue out of the closet, and take it in its custom made plastic sleeve to the tournament.

Right off the bat, my first match, I could tell I wasn't playing well (yes, the tip was glued on just fine). After a few shots, out of pure desperation, I pull out the freebie cue. Suddenly, everything was right with the world. I couldn't believe the difference. Everything looked and felt just right when I got down on the shot. Everything worked right when I pulled the trigger -- the balls all went into the pockets and I had the cue ball on a string. A little while later in the match, I switch back to my regular cue (a very nice and expensive job) to see how that feels and immediately after a couple of shots I can tell that it's not right. So I go back to the $25 Special. To make a long story short, I end up in the finals of the tournament, go hill-hill, last three balls on the table, play a safe on Jack Larsen's last ball, and lose on what may be one of the greatest kick shots anyone has ever played on me. If not for that cue, I probably would have gone two-and-out.

After the tournament, I returned the $25 Special to my closet. Something in my ego would not allow me to accept that there was something special about that cue and I just couldn't picture myself playing with it on a regular basis. Years later, during a regularly proscribed move mandated by the United States Air Force, I sold the cue, for probably $10, at a yard sale.

Now, years and years later, I kinda wish I had that one back.

Lou Figueroa

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only regret that I am getting older and need to thin out my stash of cues. There are too many beautiful cues available and I can't own them all.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I sold my first cue (Rich) so I could buy a Doc Frye. I sold the Doc Frye to buy a fancier Doc Frye.....and
The cow takes a dog
The dog takes a cat
The cat takes a rat
The rat takes the cheese
Heigh-ho, the derry-o . . .

and the beat goes on. Should have kept them. At the time I did not realize it was ok to have more than one 2 piece cues.

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the mid '70s I was finally going to buy first top end cue. In the area I lived the choice was either a GinaCue or a TAD. The decision was tough being that I liked both. Well, the decision was made, a friend decided to sell his TAD, veneered 4 pts w/slotted MOP diamonds and slotted MOP diamonds in the butt sleeve. The deal was done and I picked it up for a whopping $75.00. A couple of years later the same friend wanted to buy it back because he started collecting cues and wanted all his previous cues included in the collection. I sold it back to him for the same price. I used the money to order a new T-4 from Tad.

What a lame move on my part. That was one sweet hitting TAD and I regret selling to this day. I will say that I wouldn't trade it for my current player but I would still like to have it back. Where are you Dunbar?...lol

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
Sold a nice Burton Spain I regret letting go recently. Still have another one I will never part with though.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Palmer back in 1979 from a guy. I don't know what model it was but it had no inlays,titlist points and the clear plastic window had the foil in it with no name. I sold it about a year later for $65 :angry:With a case :mad:
http://www.palmercollector.com/FirstCatalog.html
I'm pretty sure it was cue #6

Last edited: