Best pool related deal/sales that you have done or seen?

pinoyincalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see players sell their cues for cheap when desperate. Personally, the best deal I had was a black boar bem with ivory diamomds on the bottom for $250 and sold it for $700. I also had an old justis 2 x4 case which I got for $100 and resold for $350. I'm sure many here had gotten better deals than me. Please share your stories. Thanks. 😀😀😀

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my block letter Joss for $35 with two shafts and a Fellini case in 1985...and still have it.

I got a minty antique Brunswick "deluxe" leather case (not one of those crappy laminated cardboard ones) with a cheap graphite cue for essentially nothing. I used my Ebay bucks to buy the cheap cue for like $15. The case came with it and was pictured in the background. I am pretty confident nobody else saw it. Worth a couple hundred easy.

$3 Abe Rich cue, minty condition, found in an umbrella stand at a second hand store.

But a player urgently selling his kit? I never had the pleasure.

:smile:

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see players sell their cues for cheap when desperate. Personally, the best deal I had was a black boar bem with ivory diamomds on the bottom for $250 and sold it for $700. I also had an old justis 2 x4 case which I got for $100 and resold for $350. I'm sure many here had gotten better deals than me. Please share your stories. Thanks. 😀😀😀

I'm thinking maybe the person who bought your Black Boar for $700 will chime in about his best deal was buying a Black Boar for $700. :)

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found a Vollmer cue in a pawnshop for 400

Not knowing what it was or what it was worth I passed noting it was well built.

I came on here and asked about the cue. Someone got lucky or knew of what I asked because it was gone,gone,gone the next day.

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought an early 1900's 4 veneer ebony Brunswick with 3 shafts for $15 with tax (talked him down from $17.50)

pinoyincalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking maybe the person who bought your Black Boar for $700 will chime in about his best deal was buying a Black Boar for $700. :)

Funny u said that...I was thinking the exact same thing. Same applies to the justis case I had and sold. Did not really like the hit of the Boar so did not have second thoughts selling it. The justis case on the other hand, I saved the money as I planned to purchase a personalized case from Jutis (which, unfortunately, never happened :( )

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought an early 1900's 4 veneer ebony Brunswick with 3 shafts for $15 with tax (talked him down from $17.50)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I really dig the antiques.

Ebony? 4 veneers? 3 shafts?

$15?

OMG.....

Last edited:

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
For $700 I bought a 2x4 Justis, Searing 4 Point Hoppe and Mike Webb Bocote Sneaky Pete with built in Deroo Extension. Not a bad deal in the end :)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my block letter Joss for $35 with two shafts and a Fellini case in 1985...and still have it.

I got a minty antique Brunswick "deluxe" leather case (not one of those crappy laminated cardboard ones) with a cheap graphite cue for essentially nothing. I used my Ebay bucks to buy the cheap cue for like $15. The case came with it and was pictured in the background. I am pretty confident nobody else saw it. Worth a couple hundred easy.

$3 Abe Rich cue, minty condition, found in an umbrella stand at a second hand store.

Jeez. How hot was the Joss/Fellini? 35bux?

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Schick plain jane honey stained maple cue with Cortland wrap and stainless joint in an It's George 1X2 with "Schick" embossed on the side of the case at a pawnshop for $97 +tax. Sold the case for $125 and got $800 trade in value for the cue. That was about 12 years ago. That cue played great.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
An old timer who had collected pool stuff for a couple decades wanted to sell everything he had left for 1500 bucks.

Couple guys looked at it and passed...I took one look at it and said "Hell yeah!"

All three Eddie Robin books in perfect shape, Buddy Hall bio in perfect shape, and probably 60 other books.

Numerous cues including two schulers, a Hoppe titleist, a nice Viking, and a bunch of lesser cues and jump cues.

Sets of centenials and aramith pros, a ball cleaner, and a set of mini billiard balls signed by Sang Lee.

Tons of videos, Willard tip device,etc...

I've sold over two grands worth of stuff and still have all the books and videos.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeez. How hot was the Joss/Fellini? 35bux?

Not hot.

An old road player died destitute. He had been staying in a local flop house and playing in a local bar. As far as was known he had no family or anything. Nobody even claimed the body. He had been leaving his Joss in the bar where he had been playing (it was safer than the flop house and it was kept in the back room locked up). My buddy (best friend at the time) worked at that bar as head bar tender and manager. He inherited the cue essentially. Eventually he took it home with him. We were playing pool in his basement when I first saw the cue. He really had no idea what the cue was and neither did I at that time. But I liked it...a lot. He just wanted to buy some weed...and I wanted the cue. He was quite happy to take $30 for it. He was asking $50 but sine we were good friends and I only had $35 he was just fine with it.

Last edited:

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member

I sold my rig once for a steal, and I'm not proud of it. Gave myself the old "that's is I'm giving this game up forever" routine. Was back playing in three weeks :rolleyes:

Giuseppe case with players break cue and Nick Varner player that I loved the feel of. Case was loaded with goodies, Kamui Gator grip, cue candy talc, good Masters chalk, bridge heads, towels the works.

Guy was super nice, told me I can have it back at any time for $50 more, that he'd keep it in his house and probably wouldn't play with them. Saw him 8 months later and he told me he was still hanging on to it for me. Wonder if I can track him down just to get it back?:smile:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
A couple of years ago, at my local poolroom, one of the cute little waitresses put the word out that anyone who was willing to fork over five bucks could look up her dress.
Well, you all know me. I'd rather hear a fat girl fart than a pretty girl sing, so I hollered out, "Here's my five!"
Getting down on the floor is no mean task for a sixty-eight year old, but I managed to make it, and squirmed into position. I found myself sweating profusely. Probably from the anticipation of the wondrous things to come, but mostly from the exertion it took to get to where I was. I lay there motionless as she walked up and stood over me.
Looking up I could see only darkness. Along with the dim lights of the pool hall her long dress was obscuring the vision of that earthly delight that I had so willingly paid for. What would MacGyver do?
I thought for a moment Aha! I reached down and retrieved a penlight from my pocket. I had been keeping it there for several years in anticipation of this very moment. I switched it on and held my breath as the small ray illuminated the nether regions of her voluptuous lower half. I beheld the sensuality of her calves, the creamy smoothness of her gently sculpted thighs. The blueness of her denim cut-offs with the word "Sucker" emblazoned on her bottom.
Oh, the humanity.
I lay there for the longest time.
Seriously. I had to lay there until the Paramedics arrived. My back was out.
As I was being taken to the hospital I swear I could hear laughter coming from inside that dimly lit pool room. :smile:

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
A couple of years ago, at my local poolroom, one of the cute little waitresses put the word out that anyone who was willing to fork over five bucks could look up her dress.
Well, you all know me. I'd rather hear a fat girl fart than a pretty girl sing, so I hollered out, "Here's my five!"
Getting down on the floor is no mean task for a sixty-eight year old, but I managed to make it, and squirmed into position. I found myself sweating profusely. Probably from the anticipation of the wondrous things to come, but mostly from the exertion it took to get to where I was. I lay there motionless as she walked up and stood over me.
Looking up I could see only darkness. Along with the dim lights of the pool hall her long dress was obscuring the vision of that earthly delight that I had so willingly paid for. What would MacGyver do?
I thought for a moment Aha! I reached down and retrieved a penlight from my pocket. I had been keeping it there for several years in anticipation of this very moment. I switched it on and held my breath as the small ray illuminated the nether regions of her voluptuous lower half. I beheld the sensuality of her calves, the creamy smoothness of her gently sculpted thighs. The blueness of her denim cut-offs with the word "Sucker" emblazoned on her bottom.
Oh, the humanity.
As I was being taken to the hospital I swear I could hear laughter coming from inside that dimly lit pool room. :smile:

:bow-down::bow-down::bow-down::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

You ever consider writing a book of short (denim perhaps) stories? I would buy it. Or you could just share some more life experiences with us, I am guessing none of us cares what its about as long as they are entertaining. Just remember, we are laughing with you, not at you!!!

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I win or lose depending on how you look at it

I sold the last George Balabushka he mailed out before he died for $600 . It is now in
the Glen collection. Dennis Glen recently brought it to me and I signed the cue with
my name and the date I received it. I played with it for a while after a got it, sold it
and bought something else. But if that is not bad enough, I bought one of the
first and ivory loaded box cues from Gus Szamboti. Mine was the one with the ebony
forearm with ivory boxes and the bottom sleeve was all ivory with ebony boxes. But
having wised up from my Balabushka sale I got $800 for this one.
jack

pinoyincalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Oh, the humanity.