Breaking News: Lawyers, Loopholes, Covid 19 & Room Owners

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Just yesterday the State of CT started telling pool halls who were allowed to reopen in CT's version of phase 2 that they now had to close again yet other similar businesses like bowling alleys are allowed to remain open.

Apparently, here's why the state is trying to do this. Reportedly, a number of clever bar owners who have been forced to remain closed for close to 5 months now are clearing out some of their interior space and installing a couple pool tables then declaring themselves as a "pool hall" so they can reopen their doors. Respect to them for trying to jump through a loophole but, unfortunately, the State of CT is not amused and is teetering on ordering the closeure of all pool halls.

Inside info tells me about a half dozen CT room owners have hired an attorney to hopefully protect their interest in this decision.

Here's a news clip where the room owners at Yale Billiards were interviewed about this yesterday.

https://www.wfsb.com/news/state-shu...cle_f90b235a-cc51-11ea-aea4-1fe3753068be.html

This is a nice room, I was there just a few days ago and I hope they will be allowed to stay open.

My local room owner at Shooters Southington says he'll be open today but that the state is scheduled to take this matter up today and it could end with a closure.

Any CT residents who wish to offer their opinion are encouraged to call CT state authorities at 860-500-2300 to ask that pool halls be allowed to remain open. If calling, request to speak with the commissioner or deputy commissioner.

best,
brian kc

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Reportedly, a number of clever bar owners who have been forced to remain closed for close to 5 months now are clearing out some of their interior space and installing a couple pool tables then declaring themselves as a "pool hall" so they can reopen their doors. Respect to them for trying to jump through a loophole but, unfortunately, the State of CT is not amused and is teetering on ordering the closeure of all pool halls.

A sad development indeed, but you should also not be amused by these bar owners. They are neither clever nor scrupulous, and as a group, fair or not, they are making the pool room owners of Connecticut look careless. I don't respect them at all for trying to find a loophole here.

Hopefully, the state will find a way to weed through the muddied waters that these bar owners have created and move to protect the real pool rooms.

Hoping for the best.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
A sad development indeed, but you should also not be amused by these bar owners. They are neither clever nor scrupulous, and as a group, fair or not, they are making the pool room owners of Connecticut look careless. I don't respect them at all for trying to find a loophole here.

Hopefully, the state will find a way to weed through the muddied waters that these bar owners have created and move to protect the real pool rooms.

Hoping for the best.

When I see people who are on the brink of financial ruin because of problems not created by themselves, I feel for them.

When in desperation mode I see them trying to find a loophole that might let them remain solvent I respect their cleverness and creativity.

I get that it's a shit move and I'm most interested in the safety of the community and to me that means we're not quite ready for bars to open even though CT is #1 in the US at the moment for low % positive test results for covid 19.

imo, I don't believe the bar owners who are doing this are trying to hurt legit pool rooms, they're just trying to save their own skins but as we are seeing, the net result may be that they do end up harming pool rooms.

I do agree that the state needs to weed out the bars trying to do this and protect the legit rooms.

best,
brian kc

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ultimately people will do what they must to survive... Or just go like a lamb to slaughter.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What we are witnessing is the inverted structure of our economic system and the selfishness of our population.

A business that has been established for 10+ years should NOT be paying rent/lease they should own the property. I suspect as many as 50% of all businesses will not survive this pandemic, neither will many malls.

Similarly, people that have been cooped up for months because of a rampant disease should not automatically go out and meat as many people as possible just to blow off a little steam (and catch what they have been trying to avoid.) If we had a population that was willing to live withing a few simple rules we could be almost fully open every where by this point in time, with the disease in check.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What we are witnessing is the inverted structure of our economic system and the selfishness of our population.

A business that has been established for 10+ years should NOT be paying rent/lease they should own the property. I suspect as many as 50% of all businesses will not survive this pandemic, neither will many malls.

Similarly, people that have been cooped up for months because of a rampant disease should not automatically go out and meat as many people as possible just to blow off a little steam (and catch what they have been trying to avoid.) If we had a population that was willing to live withing a few simple rules we could be almost fully open every where by this point in time, with the disease in check.
This is all going according to the plan.
Crush the little guy.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is all going according to the plan.
Crush the little guy.

There might not be any aspect of our world society that isnt affected by this.

The world is a complex web of interdependent nouns.

The 'little guy' gets 'crushed' because he is not positioned to defend himself as well as some of the 'big guys'.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Said!

I find it interesting that Canada is not having the problems that the USA is and they are on the same continent. There are 8 other countries that have almost no deaths and few cases, but here there's all this madness about individual rights, vaccines and the importance of the economy?

These other places don't have a vaccine or a pharmacological solution and they are doing just fine, there is a reason.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it interesting that Canada is not having the problems that the USA is and they are on the same continent. There are 8 other countries that have almost no deaths and few cases, but here there's all this madness about individual rights, vaccines and the importance of the economy?

These other places don't have a vaccine or a pharmacological solution and they are doing just fine, there is a reason.
Death numbers here in US are nothing close to what's reported. I know a guy who's a PhD biomedical professor at Rice and he said based on the contacts he has the number MAY be around half of what's quoted. Problem is that early on ANYONE who died from ANY respiratory issues was automatically listed as covid related. Also, hospitals get 3x the money for covid patients as they do for any other. It is a serious issue but a LOT of financial and political facors are in play here. Much more than other countries.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well..,

Death numbers here in US are nothing close to what's reported. I know a guy who's a PhD biomedical professor at Rice and he said based on the contacts he has the number MAY be around half of what's quoted. Problem is that early on ANYONE who died from ANY respiratory issues was automatically listed as covid related. Also, hospitals get 3x the money for covid patients as they do for any other. It is a serious issue but a LOT of financial and political facors are in play here. Much more than other countries.

I don't disagree with your friend at Rice University or you and yes there are lots of things at play, but even if the cases that are reported here in the USA are 50% less that would still put the USA at 10 deaths and cases of any other industrialized country.

Canada, Indonesia, New Zealand, Iceland, Malaysia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Australia, Cuba, South Korea, Hong Kong all living close to if not their normal everyday lives and yes playing pool.

So why hasn't there been a federally mandated social distancing and mask wearing mandate like theses other countries? Well if the virus was controlled here in the USA how would the pharmaceutical companies and their rich investors make money? You have to have customers to profit and 300,000,000 is a good customer base.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason is inconsistent data.

It is hard, coz the response needs to be local and flexible. One size does not fit all within a State, much less the USA as a whole, muchmuch less worldwide.

So there isnt a template to determine who died of it/ didn't die of it. comparing bananas to plantains, yuhknow?

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
As a survivor of many hurricanes and the aftermath, I can tell you that it is time to remember that we are all in this together and we must extend a hand to everyone we can help -- it is our only way out.

My major concern is that is that there is not enough to go around. Whenever a disaster occurs, help usually pours in from everywhere. This time, our whole country is in need.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You won't take the USA #s as legit, but you are going to believe the others'?

And about the Fed mandating anything...again, they are trying t deal with this mainly from a State level. You bet your short-sighted patootie a Federal response is an option that has not yet been called upon.

I don't disagree with your friend at Rice University or you and yes there are lots of things at play, but even if the cases that are reported here in the USA are 50% less that would still put the USA at 10 deaths and cases of any other industrialized country.

Canada, Indonesia, New Zealand, Iceland, Malaysia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Australia, Cuba, South Korea, Hong Kong all living close to if not their normal everyday lives and yes playing pool.

So why hasn't there been a federally mandated social distancing and mask wearing mandate like theses other countries? Well if the virus was controlled here in the USA how would the pharmaceutical companies and their rich investors make money? You have to have customers to profit and 300,000,000 is a good customer base.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It a novel situation. Your historical observations have no direct relevance.

Nobody is going to starve as a result of the virus.

As a survivor of many hurricanes and the aftermath, I can tell you that it is time to remember that we are all in this together and we must extend a hand to everyone we can help -- it is our only way out.

My major concern is that is that there is not enough to go around. Whenever a disaster occurs, help usually pours in from everywhere. This time, our whole country is in need.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A couple more things: 45-48,000 deaths were in nursing home/care facilities. Almost all were blamed on covid. Really?? Lastly, about 97% of 'reported'(did they actually have it?/) covid related deaths in US are people over 60 w/ pre-existing conditions. Like i said earlier, the number of US deaths DIRECTLY related to covid is WAAAY less than the numbers that the 'scare me-dia" puts out every day.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You won't take the USA #s as legit, but you are going to believe the others'?

And about the Fed mandating anything...again, they are trying t deal with this mainly from a State level. You bet your short-sighted patootie a Federal response is an option that has not yet been called upon.
Yeah, like all those countries are on the square. Whatever.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple more things: 45-48,000 deaths were in nursing home/care facilities. Almost all were blamed on covid. Really?? Lastly, about 97% of 'reported'(did they actually have it?/) covid related deaths in US are people over 60 w/ pre-existing conditions. Like i said earlier, the number of US deaths DIRECTLY related to covid is WAAAY less than the numbers that the 'scare me-dia" puts out every day.
Plus, they need to stop reporting the # of positive tests without the damn number of tests given.

It is a half story which doesn't really inform about the virus' trend.

The age thing is highly relevant in the short-term, but as others have already shared, we don't know what the long term effects of having the virus will be.