Practicing shots, missing during games
Old
  (#1)
fy1017
AzB Bronze Member
fy1017 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Practicing shots, missing during games - 01-09-2018, 02:52 AM

When I practice on shots, l would make 9 out 10 shots. When I focus, I would make 10 out of 10. My question is, when I am playing a game, 8, 9, or 10 ball and the same exact shot comes up, why I would I still miss. I stay focused on all my games. I donít understand, what can I do. Even when I do drills and I just finished practicing shooting, I would sometimes miss the same shot I just practice shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#2)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2018, 05:32 AM

Pressure.

What can you do? Force your self to make the same shot 20 out of 20. If you miss start back at #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy1017 View Post
When I practice on shots, l would make 9 out 10 shots. When I focus, I would make 10 out of 10. My question is, when I am playing a game, 8, 9, or 10 ball and the same exact shot comes up, why I would I still miss. I stay focused on all my games. I don’t understand, what can I do. Even when I do drills and I just finished practicing shooting, I would sometimes miss the same shot I just practice shooting.

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#3)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2018, 06:23 AM

It just means that you haven't figured out yet what you're doing wrong on that shot when you play actual games. When you miss in an actual game, pay attention to the details of that miss, like what position were you trying to get with the cue ball as you shot that shot, and where specifically did the object ball miss --- left or right of the pocket --- and by how much --- what speed did you use --- and whatever other details you can think of.

You'll find your answer in some detail that you overlooked.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Last edited by FranCrimi; 01-09-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Old
  (#4)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-10-2018, 09:54 PM

This is a common error that shows up under pressure, especially in competition. When you're practicing shots or doing drills, there is no physical or mental pressure on you, like there is in competition. This is why we teach our students to end a disciplined practice session with some amount of "free play"...whether that be just knocking the balls around, playing a match, or playing the ghost. That way, if you have practiced enough the correct way, you'll have a "deja vu" experience when you're playing after the practice session, and realize that you just did everything in your routine (mental and physical), and yet did ZERO conscious effort...and with a perfect outcome for both the CB & OB. This is the time to take your refined routine to the game table and see how you do under pressure. My favorite phrase is: "On demand, under pressure, in ONE try!". We can have all the playing knowledge in the world, but if you can't 'bring it' in one try, it means you haven't practiced enough. Hope this helps!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#5)
One Pocket John
AzB Gold Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy1017 View Post
When I practice on shots, l would make 9 out 10 shots. When I focus, I would make 10 out of 10. My question is, when I am playing a game, 8, 9, or 10 ball and the same exact shot comes up, why I would I still miss. I stay focused on all my games. I don’t understand, what can I do. Even when I do drills and I just finished practicing shooting, I would sometimes miss the same shot I just practice shooting.

I'm not an Instructor. The Instructors in this forum have helped me over the years to keep digging to find my game. Which I still do to this day.

The following videos are provided by Barry Stark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi8JnUlmhwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjjbAkWoHWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghDM8pXZ3b4

My post would not be complete without adding advise from Ronnie O.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWKB2UFsug

You may enjoy watching all of his videos.

Have fun

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 01-11-2018 at 04:31 AM.

Old
  (#6)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2018, 06:15 AM

When you "make a shot 10 times," are you playing the cue ball to (rather) specific positions with the stroke?

Game ball pressures may be sharply reduced by:

1. Focusing on cue ball shape and not whether you will "make the shot or embarrass yourself".

2. Practicing with the specific goals of shape and cue stick mastery rather than obsessing over occasional missed shots.

I have a FUN and simple drill you will probably love to train you here. PM me for more.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#7)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2018, 08:11 PM

This is the #1 thing that concerns me about practicing one specific shot that you might have missed or caused you to miss position. Here goes:

YOU CAN PRACTICE IT FOR THREE HOURS AND YET YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE THE SAME SHOT/POSITION PLAY AGAIN FOR ANOTHER SIX MONTHS!!!

That's why I practice a handful of routine shots all the time.

r/DCP

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 English Green

Old
  (#8)
fy1017
AzB Bronze Member
fy1017 is on a distinguished road

01-12-2018, 12:55 AM

I want to thank you all for replying and giving me tips
I will use these tip when I practice and when Iím in competition.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: