Gold Crown Construction Details

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings,

I'm fascinated with Gold Crown tables, the legend, longevity, reputation, and the beautiful, mid-century styling.

I've studied the service manuals that have been posted, and read all the threads I could get my hands on. The detail that eludes me is the internal design of the leg assemblies.

These appear to be molded plywood on the outside, but I've never seen anything about the internal construction.

Can someone please provide some insight into this?

Thanks,

jv

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
the internals of the legs on the gc1-2 are made of plywood & poplar and end caps are maple. plywood face and backs of legs

gc 3-4 same as above accept, thinner plywood on face and back of legs and end caps are poplar as well.

I assume 5-6 are similar as 3-4. Never seen the inside of the newer ones, no reason to be taking the legs apart on the newer models.

Just my $0.02

Trent from Toledo

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Elongated hole cutouts are in GC1 leg pedestals for bolt access to stretcher.

image.jpg

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, guys.

So you think those things on the ends, that the adjusters screw in to, are solid wood legs, joined by the plywood sheets, with some ribs inside?

I'd love it if someone could sketch the internal framework for me.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thanks, guys.

So you think those things on the ends, that the adjusters screw in to, are solid wood legs, joined by the plywood sheets, with some ribs inside?

I'd love it if someone could sketch the internal framework for me.

I dont "think"... I just had to replace the plywood on a GC3 leg and I know what it looks like inside, so yeah, thats it.

Someone else might sketch something up for you :) I think you have a clear enough idea.

Trent from Toledo

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Trent, but while I have a vague idea of the construction, I know far too little of it to replicate it (on a smaller scale). Still hoping someone can provide details.