Glue for non-leather tips

pool junkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What glue do you recommend for gluing on tips like Taom or White Diamond? I've used Locktite Superglue gel many times and seem to have trouble with them popping off after some use. Would epoxy be a better choice?

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im gonna try gorilla glue for my next tip. I'll let you know how it turns out. Not fast, but maybe good results. I don't do quick work, lucky if I do it at all.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loctite 401 works great with Taom tips on most ferrule materials, it works well on White Diamond too, but if you can, use 3M scotch-weld and leave it overnight.
I have to mention that how you turn the tip down does affect the outcome. If you use force that is pulling away from the ferrule or a strong force from the side when trimming the tip, you are setting your self up for problems. I use a small conical live center pushing agains the tip and trimming with a fresh carbide insert or a fresh ground HSS parting tool, and going from the tip to the ferrule.

James Sarenich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotch-Weld DP420

I use Scotch-Weld DP420 for all my break tips. I drill 5 very small shallow holes in the bottoms of the tips. Make sure you take a tooth pick or something and work the epoxy into the holes. This epoxy likes heat, so keep it warm (70 degrees) when using. Let cure for 24 hours. Then trim it down. I tell shooters not to use it for an additional 24 hours (48 total). White Diamond, Samsara, Phenolic, Odega, G10 I have never had one pop off. I had one guy tell me that my tip popped off. He brought me the tip and the tip was still attached to the carbon pad. The carbon pad that was on the shaft originally from the factory popped off. While I am not a cue maker I know this works. This epoxy is what gulf club heads are glued on with.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
What glue do you recommend for gluing on tips like Taom or White Diamond? I've used Locktite Superglue gel many times and seem to have trouble with them popping off after some use. Would epoxy be a better choice?

Try my method..... when I first started...... all the white diamond popped off in a day... a week.... or a month.................. so now I put on the tip with CA gel.... then drill the center of the tip with a 1/8 drill ... about an inch deep........... epoxy a 1/8 phenolic rod in the hole.. trim and shape as usual........... in 5 years I have one come loose but none have popped off.... and are still on............. 1/8 phenolic rod is available from McMaster Carr.................

Kim

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.2185089188193851&type=3

Last edited: