Funny pic/gif thread...

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must have not understood the premise of the question to start with. The plane doesn’t move forward, at all, never. Think about it. The whole point of including the conveyor belt is the trick of the question. Chain the plane in place. The engines, whether turbine or propellor will not cause lift on the wings. Engine speed could be maxed out. If air speed is zero, then there is zero lift.

I understood it perfectly. You are the genius who thinks that the plane would not be moving forward because of the treadmill. Maybe the OP thought the same thing. You both could not be more wrong.

Your brain is tied to the misconception that the plane is propelled by it's wheels, like a car would be..

Think of this.....
You have a Corvette on a treadmill, and both the wheel speed and the treadmill speed are perfectly offsetting each other, so there is no relative movement. Then.....They pull off the tarp off the back of the car revealing a 15,000 lb. thrust jet engine. Somebody turns on the great big freakin' jet engine attached to the back of the corvette. So you think that the car would still not move forward relative to the treadmill?
Heck, even think of this....as the jet engine thrust increases, take the car out of gear. Now the car's wheels are mechanically disconnected from the new drivetrain (jet engine) Increase the thrust and the car will move forward - the wheels will spin faster and faster as the thrust is increased and the relative car speed increases.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
C36F6E76-4273-468F-8081-F88AA4793E56.png

0253A9D5-3FDA-4542-97BB-31CC5AE2E880.jpeg

——————-

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I understood it perfectly. You are the genius who thinks that the plane would not be moving forward because of the treadmill. Maybe the OP thought the same thing. You both could not be more wrong.

Your brain is tied to the misconception that the plane is propelled by it's wheels, like a car would be..

Think of this.....

You have a Corvette on a treadmill, and both the wheel speed and the treadmill speed are perfectly offsetting each other, so there is no relative movement. Then.....They pull off the tarp off the back of the car revealing a 15,000 lb. thrust jet engine. Somebody turns on the great big freakin' jet engine attached to the back of the corvette. So you think that the car would still not move forward relative to the treadmill?

Heck, even think of this....as the jet engine thrust increases, take the car out of gear. Now the car's wheels are mechanically disconnected from the new drivetrain (jet engine) Increase the thrust and the car will move forward - the wheels will spin faster and faster as the thrust is increased and the relative car speed increases.

Does this matter? “The conveyor belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels, moving in the opposite direction.”

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is amazing how you put an aircraft on a treadmill and for what ever reason, people think it can fly. Yet the same people no doubt can visualise themselves on a tread mill going no where and even can watch a tv. It should be obvious that with no air over the wings the aircraft can not fly , unless it has VTOL properties.
So funny.

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member

If the OP only "maybe" thought the same thing, how can you be certain that he couldn't be more wrong when no answer was ever stated either way? Maybe the OP's answer is that the plane would fly backwards and upside down at the same time. That would definitely be more wrong. Asking for a friend.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
What people are missing on the jet topic, is that the jet engine is what makes the difference.

Thrust is what will move the air over the wings.

It wouldn't matter at all if there were skis on the bottom of the jet....the jet engine pushes air, it doesn't turn wheels.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So last night my friend and I are playing 1pkt at his office. T.v. is on a local channel, program we are watching ends.Next program comes on and after about 5 minutes I tell himm for gods sake find another channel. He laughs and says I have to watch this stuff with my kids. I replied no kids here and if someone stops what are they going to think?

Attachments

• 20190217_220918.jpg
    20190217_220918.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 1,016