76 Ball Run

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Another nice run.

There were 3 or 4 times in the first rack where I said to myself, "what does he have?', and then "I don't like having to shoot that" but you would just get down and quickly shoot them in. No hesitation on shooting balls in the top two pockets. Never a doubt.

Second rack they opened fine and you picked them off fine. I was wondering if you were going to use one of the balls that eventually was part of the combination for your break shot. It was not until you shot off the combination that a few possible break shots were manufactured.

Behind the rack break shot they opened great but your cue ball kind of died. What did you use on that shot? I was thinking you would use high left and come out to the middle but it looked like you were cueing center. You took care of business up top quickly and then started picking them off again. Lots of stop shots. I could not tell what your break ball and key ball were going to be but no problem for you.

Another nice break and you start picking them off. You rarely bump a ball when you don't have to. Your end pattern was a little dicey after you made that ball in the bottom right and the one next to it drifted over. You had to shoot diagonally up table and then flirted with the side but you got there ok. A little flat.

Not much on the break but just enough for another break shot after your body english helped that shot go in up top. Your cue ball was stuck to the rack for a second until a ball thankfully knocked it loose. The balls were still kind of messy and I figured you would draw into them next. You had to perform some very close surgery to take apart this rack and in the end you had to make some longer cuts and travel the cue ball a bit but it came out good in the end.

Wow. Big angle. off the rack and 3 balls go in and everything looks open. Tough leave on the penultimate shot.

Good Shooting, as usual.:thumbup:

Thanks Dennis for looking it over & commenting.

The 1st rack was no problem. I had no problem getting threw that rack.

The 2nd rack. I did set up a break shot very late in the rack with that combo and I knew that the one or the nine ball would set up for a break ball. I do not like doing that but some racks just lay out that way and you have to work with what you got.

The behind the rack break ball. I used a center hit, plus a stun shot to stop the cue ball. With break balls near the end of the rack. I find if I use High Left or Hight Right depending on which way I am shooting, it will sent the cue ball way up table. If no other ball goes up there. You are left with a long shot. That break ball was too close to the end of the rack. I have also seen the cue ball scratch in the corner on those shots with high left or right.

The rack where I flirted with the side pocket. I pocketed that corner ball a little too hard and the cue ball rolled about 2 inches too far. I would of had a good break shot if I would of had more room to draw the cue ball properly.

The follow break after hitting the two bottom rails was done properly and just kicking out a few balls is what is to be expected. Also the break out shot where the cue ball just stopped dead in the cluster. I do believe I would of had a shot on the same ball that I shot after the cue ball got kicked out. I did not want the cue ball to stop dead on that shot but sometimes those other balls have a mind of their own.

As for the Body English........ LOL.... I think that I am a Bowler sometimes.
I just can't help it.
Thanks Dennis. I appreciate your comments.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Thanks Dennis for looking it over & commenting.

The 2nd rack. I did set up a break shot very late in the rack with that combo and I knew that the one or the nine ball would set up for a break ball. I do not like doing that but some racks just lay out that way and you have to work with what you got.

I learned a few more things from your comments. Sometimes, when I get up to the shot I notice where the balls are going to go, but to think of that earlier in the rack and figure you will get a break shot out of something like that is pretty good. Something to look for.

The behind the rack break ball. I used a center hit, plus a stun shot to stop the cue ball. With break balls near the end of the rack. I find if I use High Left or Hight Right depending on which way I am shooting, it will sent the cue ball way up table. If no other ball goes up there. You are left with a long shot. That break ball was too close to the end of the rack. I have also seen the cue ball scratch in the corner on those shots with high left or right.

I had never heard anybody talk about just using center on these shots. Rempe, Sigel in their instructionals would always talk about high right or high left depending upon the angle or which ball in the rack was being contacted. Your option worked nice. You even had a ball that came out to be shot in the lower left, along with options uptable. So I just learned another option.

sausage

Banned
mike: i didn't view the video because i assumed it was too big for my connection. i then looked at the vimeo link and it's only 39.5mb because you shoot so fast. i'll check it out later.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

I learned a few more things from your comments. Sometimes, when I get up to the shot I notice where the balls are going to go, but to think of that earlier in the rack and figure you will get a break shot out of something like that is pretty good. Something to look for.

I had never heard anybody talk about just using center on these shots. Rempe, Sigel in their instructionals would always talk about high right or high left depending upon the angle or which ball in the rack was being contacted. Your option worked nice. You even had a ball that came out to be shot in the lower left, along with options uptable. So I just learned another option.

Glad that I can be a help to you. See, I do know what I am talking about......LOL. No really, that is what this Forum is all about. Helping each other out with ideas & suggestions. Some good/ some bad and it is up to the player themselves to see what works for them.
When I watch videos of some of the great players Rempe, Sigel etc.
They talk about using a certain English on a type of shot. Well, their English might be different then my English. What i mean by this. They might be able to get more of a spin & action then I am able to get.
So, what a player needs to do, is to find the best way to use what skill
they have to the best of their ability. Even if you have to use a different type of English on a shot then what they suggest. The main thing is to use the English that will best keep you in control of the cue ball and pocketing that object ball at the same time, working to get the job done.

PS: Sausage: Good, watch it when you can. I'll be looking forward to your comments.

Last edited:

sausage

Banned

rempe says that when the cue is going into the center of the stack from behind, and i paraphrase: " just hit it.. balls are going to scatter everywhere " . i have not seen mike's vid yet though so i don't know the contact point. when i was on 84 balls with a behind the rack BB, i took rempe's advice and the cue followed the BB into the corner pocket. if i had it to do over, i'd have used hard follow with no english.

sausage

Banned
Here is the Link to a 76 ball run.

http://vimeo.com/14566427

My dogs were going crazy in the next room. So i went to take a look. It takes about 30 sec. for me to come back into the game room. So, hang in there when you see me leave.

mike: good to know that you are a dog lover. i don't trust people who don't like dogs....

your shooting is terrific. very relaxed, confident and exact. here's what i noticed;

in pic3 i think it was your first rack, your insurance ball didn't work out because i think you over-hit it a tad and the cue came back too far. fortunately you had a ball in the side otherwise it could have been dicey. also, by hitting that cluster from underneath, it pushed the potential break-balls above the rack. later you manufacture one however.

in pic4 you you shoot the ball near the corner pocket and almost scratched in the side. i would have shot the other ball and drawn off the rail and used the corner ball for a key. again however, you worked it out but gave yourself a precarious break.

pic5; this is the resulting b-ball position. you made a terrific hard-follow shot and got the rack open. that was nice!

pic6; right here i thought that you'd have followed down and gotten that ball down table especially since you have another ball sitting perfect to get back into the remaining balls. that straggler gives you fits at the end of the rack.

you do however get another b-ball but with a high angle because you overhit your key a tad but then make a terrific shot on the b-ball and get another rack open. that was impressive... on your last rack you got frozen on a ball ending your fun. it looks like the cue had a tad of right on it because it comes off the rail sharper than expected. run enders seem to come out of nowhere in this game.

excellent shooting though....

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 114

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Sausage my Man. Thanks for the comments. I can see what you are talking about and like I had explained earlier in comments to Dennis on his run.
No way is correct as long as you get the job done. Of course, a player doesn't want to shoot hard shots after hard shots to get the job done.
That shot where I almost scratched in the side. I pocketed that corner ball a little too hard and the cue ball roiled about two inches too far. I would of had a proper break shot if I would of be able to draw the cue ball properly on that key ball. Even with that and going two rails to hit the rack from behind is good to show other players that there are other possibilities on breaking the rack.
Glad you wrote comments. Take a look at the 61 ball run I posted. I listed some comments on each rack.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Good practice tonight

I had a 65 ball run with a miss shot to the side pocket (key ball) that I should of made to end the run, had good position on the break ball.. After a few misses. I then ran 67 with a miss on a shot after I made a good break shot and had balls every where on the table. I missed a dead shot that was about two inches from my cue ball in the corner to end the run. Good practice overall.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member

Had a 78 ball run tonight with no problems on the first 73. Missed a hard cut shot up the corner. Got completely out of line on the last four balls before the miss. It was hard shot after hard shot and then a miss.

sausage

Banned
Had a 78 ball run tonight with no problems on the first 73. Missed a hard cut shot up the corner. Got completely out of line on the last four balls before the miss. It was hard shot after hard shot and then a miss.

mike: there are few people indeed who can put up the 14.1 numbers as do you. but that's generally how racks get fuxored. you can feel it slipping away after one bad position shot then trying to get back in line forces tough shots. then, all of a sudden you are out of options. weird game....

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Yes

mike: there are few people indeed who can put up the 14.1 numbers as do you. but that's generally how racks get fuxored. you can feel it slipping away after one bad position shot then trying to get back in line forces tough shots. then, all of a sudden you are out of options. weird game....

Yes, you are so right. I knew that miss was coming. I could feel it and every hard shot that I made, the cue ball rolled to a bad spot. Sometimes you can get out of it but many times it gets you.
I have taught myself not to get mad at myself anymore when I miss b/c
I never thought that I could run such good numbers. Now, when I miss, I tell myself to try harder next time. I am grateful that I can do what I am able to do. Hopefully someday, the numbers will get higher & higher.