"Center Ball" ! What does that mean to you?

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't read the thread. Center ball can do a lot of things, but
it depends on the shot and the stroke.

In fact, if you stay within a tip to a tip and a half of center ball,
you can get position on 90% or more of your shots just with
stroke and speed alone in 9 ball or 10 ball.

Many people think you need to use a lot of English way more
times than you actually do. I'd say less than 5 to 10 percent of
shots in rotation pool actually require extreme English to get
position on the next ball.

Let me clarify a little. A player that is advanced can make the
above work really well. A player who is all over the table and
doesn't play proper position and angles will most likely run into
many more situations where extreme English and stroke are
needed.

Forgive me if I'm a little off topic based on other replies, I only
read the original post.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i havent read the whole tread
but the more universal term for the type of hit you are discussing is what snooker players call the stun run thru
since you are not hitting the same "center" of the cue ball based on speed and distance
most people would not call the shot "center ball"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAL3tqqUNQw
this is my definition of center ball

center cue ball is a spot at the core of the cue ball
to me center cue ball means hitting thru that spot based on the angle of your cue

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Did you see the YouTube video I posted: Here it is again. The shot I'm doing here is a DRILL. It is not the way to shoot a straight in shot. It is a DRILL supposed to teach one how to hit the cue ball with tip control with speed and distance. It's a stun run through with about 6" of run out. Makes the cue ball run on an angle after contact on a OB with an angle. Different from tangent and rolling ball. Here it is: https://youtu.be/fjEGe0_rP2k

I looked at the video, more than once. The cloth what kind is it? The cloth, how old is it? Also, the cloth was is repulled?

The first shot, you hit the object ball slightly center left.

Second shot you hit it slightly center right.

Third shot same as the second, but the cue ball had some spin left on cue ball after contact.

Also, is the cue ball heavier than the object ball your shooting at?

Your hitting this shot ''too hard'' for a ''stop shot'' the forward momentum of the cue ball goes thru the weight of the obj. ball.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...is the cue ball heavier than the object ball your shooting at?

Your hitting this shot ''too hard'' for a ''stop shot'' the forward momentum of the cue ball goes thru the weight of the obj. ball.
With an equal-weight CB you can shoot a stop shot at any speed. With a heavier CB you might not at any speed.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To me it means one exact kind of shot: At the time of tip-ball contact the axis of the cue stick if extended passes exactly through the center point of the sphere that is the cue ball.

I hope the terms "axis of the cue stick" and "center of a sphere" are not confusing. They are intended to be the opposite.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To me it means one exact kind of shot: At the time of tip-ball contact the axis of the cue stick if extended passes exactly through the center point of the sphere that is the cue ball.

I hope the terms "axis of the cue stick" and "center of a sphere" are not confusing. They are intended to be the opposite.

i think we are saying the same thing

center cue ball is a spot at the core of the cue ball
to me center cue ball means hitting thru that spot based on the angle of your cue

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
When I say "center", I mean "center".

I use "center" on almost all of my shots. Actually a touch inside of center.

I rely on stroke, speed, and proper angle for most of my shots and add a "bit of sumpin' sumpin'", as needed.

you went from using center on almost all of your shots to a TOI center on almost all shots to now you shoot them with something as needed.

that was a rollercoaster

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
It appears the cue ball is heavier.

Looking closely at the video, he never quite hit dead center on the obj. ball....cue ball went left or right after contact on his 3 attempts.

I'd like tah see him do the same 3 shots with allot less cue ball speed.

Nice thing about pool....''cue ball never lies''.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I looked at the video, more than once. The cloth what kind is it? The cloth, how old is it? Also, the cloth was is repulled?

The first shot, you hit the object ball slightly center left.

Second shot you hit it slightly center right.

Third shot same as the second, but the cue ball had some spin left on cue ball after contact.

Also, is the cue ball heavier than the object ball your shooting at?

This thread is getting amazing! I do NOT want to hit a "STOP" shot. The cue ball weighs the same as the OB, the cloth is Simonis, etc. Also, I know how to hit a "stop" shot. In the drill on video, The ball runs out about 6" and that is what I'm after in the drill. I hit these shots from soft to extremely hard and I'm trying to get the "6" roll out" on all shots. Takes extreme cue ball contact with the cue stick. It's a drill with the straight in shots so we can see the little roll out. When the OB is angled to the pocket, this same drill will roll out the cue ball on a different path from tangent and follow. THAT is it. The video shows me doing a drill. The 6" roll out is my goal at all speeds and distances. Try it.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thread is par for the course. You made it “amazing” by purposely using an ambiguous term in the title. Now you see that most people only read the title or the first few posts. The real shot you were after “stun run through” was not clarified by you until well past the beginning of the thread. Is your forum lesson learned now?

bstroud

Deceased
I have always been an advocate for using center ball on most shots.

My definition and that of most good players simply means the Vertical center of the cue ball. Meaning Follow, Draw and Stop and variations of same.

I only use side English for three reasons:

To make a ball that is not on, to play position that not available without it and with various Kicking Systems.

Center ball is particularly effective on tight tables and on Bank shots. It seems to cause the object ball to spin into the pocket. A good example is a cut shot down the rail at speed.

Eddy Taylor was a player that used center ball to bank with. With good results.

Bill S.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
The thread is par for the course. You made it “amazing” by purposely using an ambiguous term in the title. Now you see that most people only read the title or the first few posts. The real shot you were after “stun run through” was not clarified by you until well past the beginning of the thread. Is your forum lesson learned now?

The 6" run through at all speeds and all distances is what my teacher calls "Center Ball" in his drills. I'm trying to show him that no one knows what that means. And that is the reason I asked the question before I showed my video. He says it is the 2nd most important shot in pool. It is an amazing shot when shot at an angle and I use it all the time for shape. So I work on it daily. One guy says; "I'm hitting it too hard to STOP the cue ball". Still doesn't realize the 6" past is what I'm looking for. Amazing to post on AZB.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I have always been an advocate for using center ball on most shots.

My definition and that of most good players simply means the Vertical center of the cue ball. Meaning Follow, Draw and Stop and variations of same.

I only use side English for three reasons:

To make a ball that is not on, to play position that not available without it and with various Kicking Systems.

Center ball is particularly effective on tight tables and on Bank shots. It seems to cause the object ball to spin into the pocket. A good example is a cut shot down the rail at speed.

Eddy Taylor was a player that used center ball to bank with. With good results.

Bill S.

Yes, I agree. Vertical players are fun to watch. Some are Vertical and some are spinners. Vertical players can redo their shape over and over, where spinners can't get the same results.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 6" run through at all speeds and all distances is what my teacher calls "Center Ball" in his drills. I'm trying to show him that no one knows what that means. And that is the reason I asked the question before I showed my video. He says it is the 2nd most important shot in pool. It is an amazing shot when shot at an angle and I use it all the time for shape. So I work on it daily. One guy says; "I'm hitting it too hard to STOP the cue ball". Still doesn't realize the 6" past is what I'm looking for. Amazing to post on AZB.

Your instructor is using improper terminology.

And the guy who said that, is Big Bill Meacham, a former pro level player. He said it because you are using improper terminology, and he was trying to figure out wtf you were talking about. :thumbup:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Your instructor is using improper terminology.

And the guy who said that, is Big Bill Meacham, a former pro level player. He said it because you are using improper terminology, and he was trying to figure out wtf you were talking about. :thumbup:

I'll tell him. What name would you call the shot that rolls out about 6" at all speeds and all distances between CB and OB?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'll tell him. What name would you call the shot that rolls out about 6" at all speeds and all distances between CB and OB?
Since the CB must be hit at different places for all the different speeds and distances, the one thing I wouldn't call that is a "center ball" shot.

I'd call it what it's always been called by just about everybody: a 6" stun roll-through hit.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Force follow fits the description....

Well, force follow does not describe the distance of the roll out. Rolling out over one or two diamonds is about the same as follow and will not produce the cue ball track off the OB at an angle. Around 6" does it. I think we'll stick to "center ball" for ourselves.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I’d call it a retarded follow lol jk......stun follow should be proper nomenclature

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you went from using center on almost all of your shots to a TOI center on almost all shots to now you shoot them with something as needed.

that was a rollercoaster

:)

You liked that, didn't you?

Nobody uses "center" ALL the time. Nobody can hit "true center" ALL the time.

In order to make SOME shots and get position for the next one, you have to do "something".

Hitting "inside center", I am favoring one side of the cue ball a bit. I like doing that. The cue ball doesn't get "loose" as often, unless I turn it loose.