Players you miss

Mantool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh my, I just heard tonight that Larry Nevel had his left foot cut off due to diabetes from a known source that took second to Larry in an 8ball tournament in WI just this past weekend. WTF.

Still taking first in a WI tournament from a wheelchair. Standing when needed.

Best of wishes and best of luck to you Larry, we love you!!!!

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh my, I just heard tonight that Larry Nevel had his left foot cut off due to diabetes from a known source that took second to Larry in an 8ball tournament in WI just this past weekend. WTF.

Man, that is terrible. I know Larry and have played him
several times in the Southeast. He's a good dude and
very competitive. I was really enjoying this thread until
reading this, not blaming you, but this took my thoughts
in a different direction. Thoughts and prayers for Larry
and may his health get better.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I've spent quite a bit of time around D. Lane. He's from Pawhuska, Ok. went to O.U. and went on to start/own Click's chain of rooms. If you know old t.v. he looks kinda like Wally Cox. A school-teacher with a cue who doesn't miss much. He used to come to Tulsa fairly often but haven't seen him in about 8-9yrs. He's worth something like $250million so pool has always been his passion/hobby. Cool guy.

Dick asked a Player years back "hey how would you like the 6 out and the breaks for a thousand bucks a game?"

RACKEM!

Dick: OH NO I didn't want to play you i just wanted to know how you would like it!

Player says "what do you know a 250 million dollar NIT":eek:

Denis The Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Canadian Joe Lawrence

Heard he lived in Atlanta for a while, and would bet it up pretty good and win at the bar table. He was also very strong on a 9ft.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

OMG-what a bad break-I know some of these guys who i use to think of as young kids are getting up there but is Larry even 45/50?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, that is terrible. I know Larry and have played him
several times in the Southeast. He's a good dude and
very competitive. I was really enjoying this thread until
reading this, not blaming you, but this took my thoughts
in a different direction. Thoughts and prayers for Larry
and may his health get better.

Well said. He is a fiercecompetitr who sets very high standards for himself.

I was also enjoying te read.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I have type 2 which a majority of Americans get if they live to 60 which i have-Does Larry have type 1? which is a lifetime thing?

I don't have any info on Larry, but type 2 can be reversed. Do yourself a big favor and follow your doctor's suggestions religiously.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Parica may have been the best player of his era and one of the best of all time. He dominated Rotation games for twenty years!

And for a minute there, Mark Tadd had everybody worried. He played with ultra confidence and wasn't afraid to challenge anyone!

Keith, we know about. Extreme talent but erratic lifestyle. When he was on he was unbeatable.

Ronnie Allen, only the past master of One Pocket. I don't think even Efren would have liked to fade Ronnie's overall attack.

The Miz - After Mosconi and Grenleaf, maybe the third best Straight Pool player ever. He ruled pro pool until Earl came along and dethroned him. Probably possessed the most powerful stroke of any pool player ever. Only Cornbread and maybe Larry Nevel and Mike Massey were close. The difference was Miz had the whole game. He could do it all on a pool table.

Swanee was always a little bit undercover and unsung. Probably the best high stakes 9-Ball player of his time, along with Buddy Hall. Swanee wouldn't flinch playing $1,000 a game 9-Ball in the 80's. The only guys I ever saw with his guts for big cash were Keith, Searcy, Buddy and Cornbread. And I'd take Swanee over all the above in the long run betting super high. He could play at the top of his game all day. They used to fly Swanee in when some local champion tried to out bet everyone. Swanee would come in and dust him off. He would come back home with his pockets stuffed with cash and party on the beach until he got another call. And generous to a fault. Loved that man!

Agreed on all points, Jay!

Parica.. one of THE best, he'd play anybody, bet high, grind it out.

Ronnie?.. still #1 in my book for One Pocket, Efren just under that.

The Miz?.. THAT stroke...

Efren, the GOAT for ALL games.

Swanee.. loved that guy, great stroke also.

Tadd?... yes, for a while there NOBODY wanted any of him.. I heard a
story where he walked into a room where there were several top players,
Tadd offered weight to anybody, nobody played him.

Just heard about Larry Nevel.. that's terrible news. Stay strong, Larry where
ever you are.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have any info on Larry, but type 2 can be reversed. Do yourself a big favor and follow your doctor's suggestions religiously.

Thanks-Im doing the exercising 5 times a week and seem to have it under control where it is just borderline now. I can only go so long without an ice cream ( i was having 3-4 a night for a while) or candy bar. I recently went 7 weeks with neither and i was about to explode when i gave in but kept it totally reasonable.

I take my sugar reading every day and mutiple times some days-It is usually where it is supposed to be but some days it is just hard to figure. The other day when i finally 'gave in' I had French Toast with maple syrup-3 hours later my BS was 88!-Other times after a wheat bread turkey sandwich-2 hours later im 199-Hard to figure.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm having trouble picturing pool without Larry Nevel....
...he was The Truth....he had what Earl had....the intensity.

Enjoy life the best you can, Leron...the game has given you some good memories.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've had type 2 since 1992, really not aware of any way to reverse it, you can control it diet, exercise and meds. Been pretty good but have given up a lot of things, being on Insulin does help.
In any case, not controlling it can have dire consequences, one of which is loss of limbs due to circulation issues. Take it seriously it's no joke.

Hope Larry's doing better, always enjoyed watching him play.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I've had type 2 since 1992, really not aware of any way to reverse it

Yours doctors surely know a lot more about it than my curiosity-based internet education, so I certainly defer to them. I'm sure also that if it can be reversed, that wouldn't mean that everyone's individual case could be. Best wishes for your health.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yours doctors surely know a lot more about it than my curiosity-based internet education, so I certainly defer to them. I'm sure also that if it can be reversed, that wouldn't mean that everyone's individual case could be. Best wishes for your health.

Thanks, I've been told by doctors that the biggest problem when people are told they are type 2 is they don't do anything different and then the bad stuff starts happening.
I also was told that type 2 is due to one of two things, the body still produces insulin but it doesn't work like it should or the body stops producing insulin.
I would think the life style of a pro pool player wouldn't help in controlling the problem, just my opinion.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My father had the highest sugar level to ever walk in the ER of our local hospital. I have heard 2 numbers, both above 800-Others had come in with a higher number but always on a stretcher.

At any rate, he had a fulltime caretaker the last 4-5 years of his life. She wouldnt feed him anything that would raise his sugar and the last 2-3 years before his death, there was no sign of diabetes in him. Me personally, I'm not sure id want those extra years sacrificing italian/white bread, pasta, pastries, noodles, candy bars, potatoes, rice, donuts etc. Just let me go quickly.