Where is the 626?

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think in nearly all cases of issues with the pockets you have to go by the rule which is that a rejected ball does not count.

This.

When you accepted the condition of the table before you started playing, you accepted any idiosyncrasies that come with playing on that table. If it's pooping balls back onto the table when shot at speed, tough luck, you agreed to use that table.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This.

When you accepted the condition of the table before you started playing, you accepted any idiosyncrasies that come with playing on that table. If it's pooping balls back onto the table when shot at speed, tough luck, you agreed to use that table.

Yes, but in the 1997 BCA Open, this was not the case. The players were assigned a table and all the other tables in the tournament were in use. In their practices, the players advised the tournament director of the problem, and the only possible remedy available was to count the freakish shots that ended up on the carpet except in the case of a jump shot. I'd say in my own play, on non-jump shots, I put an object ball onto the floor/carpet just once every five years.

It also was not the case that Mosconi accepted the table on the day of his record run. On the contrary, just one table would have been set up with seating for his exhibition match, and he was going to play on it whether he liked the table or not and whether or not it had some issues.

vinay

Registered
I believe that YouTube is no longer supporting pay-per-view videos. The current best solution seems to be Vimeo.

I think the plan is to add commentary.

Is that why your and Dr. Dave's VENT and other instructional videos are no longer on YouTube? I was wondering about that.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
This.

When you accepted the condition of the table before you started playing,
you accepted any idiosyncrasies that come with playing on that table.
If it's pooping balls back onto the table when shot at speed, tough luck,
you agreed to use that table.

I can't get behind that.

It's not like when someone clicks "I accept" to the user license when installing a program,
and later finds out there was a huge gotcha buried in the fine print.
At least that person had a chance to spot the problem.

But when you play on a table at an unfamiliar pool hall, you don't get any chance to spot the 'gotchas'.
Not unless you're lucky enough to know what table you'll be assigned and have time to hit balls on it.

Saying "well you agreed to accept the table when you chose to play in the tournament"...
to me that's like saying "well you agreed to accept the traffic when you crossed the street,
so if someone runs a red light and hits you, that's on you."

To me, if there's an unspoken agreement here, it's this:
The tournament organizer will provide functional pool tables in normal working condition.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Yes, but in the 1997 BCA Open, this was not the case. The players were assigned a table and all the other tables in the tournament were in use. In their practices, the players advised the tournament director of the problem, and the only possible remedy available was to count the freakish shots that ended up on the carpet except in the case of a jump shot. I'd say in my own play, on non-jump shots, I put an object ball onto the floor/carpet just once every five years.

It also was not the case that Mosconi accepted the table on the day of his record run. On the contrary, just one table would have been set up with seating for his exhibition match, and he was going to play on it whether he liked the table or not and whether or not it had some issues.

This is in no way a comment on the validity of Mosconi’s run, but “hung balls” are a bit different to balls being spat back on to the table or on to the floor, no? Hung balls makes me think of rattling in the jaws, or pace being 2 or 3mm short. A pocket backing unreasonably rejecting a ball seems to fall under the category of table defect as opposed to user error.

Again, no comment on whether Mosconi hung any balls, etc.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is that why your and Dr. Dave's VENT and other instructional videos are no longer on YouTube? I was wondering about that.
Yes. I think YouTube decided that there was too much hand-holding required or the market just wasn't large enough compared to their other revenues so they gave up the paid video service. There are also lots of issues with local laws about pay-per-view and each country seems to be different. I believe that Vimeo also returns a larger percentage of the purchase price than YouTube was paying.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... In their practices, the players advised the tournament director of the problem, and the only possible remedy available was to count the freakish shots that ended up on the carpet except in the case of a jump shot. ...
That sounds like a reasonable solution for that particular situation. In the case of the spring-loaded pockets I mentioned earlier, the balls would sometimes fly back onto the table spreading havoc. That complicates the issue.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John posted on FB that he is researching the best options to market the video......

Makes me scratch me head.

If he was going to take this on, why on God's good blue Simonis covered Earth, wouldn't he have a marketing strategy spring-loaded in the event he broke the record?! I cannot fathom going after something like Mosconi's record without a developed plan in place, before he hits the first ball, to publicize and make dough off this should he break the record.

Key advertisements, press releases, contacts for appearances and exhibitions, and marketing and distribution of a DVD and/or streamed content. Just as an example: it is mind blowing to me that immediately afterwards we didn't get peppered with all kinds of little banner ads at the top of every AZ page about it.

Unreal.

Lou Figueroa

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Makes me scratch me head.

If he was going to take this on, why on God's good blue Simonis covered Earth, wouldn't he have a marketing strategy spring-loaded in the event he broke the record?

Do you recall Mosconi doing that either? No, neither do I. These records just happen.

All the best,
WW

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you recall Mosconi doing that either? No, neither do I. These records just happen.

All the best,
WW

Really?

Mosconi didn’t set up camp to attempt a high run — it just happened.

JS set up camp for a months long attempt to break a decades old record.

Lou Figueroa
duh

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Really?

Mosconi didn’t set up camp to attempt a high run — it just happened.

JS set up camp for a months long attempt to break a decades old record.

Lou Figueroa
duh

And for some reason, you have a problem with the record being broken.

You've got to get over it. Don't let this give you a heart attack. It's not worth it.

All the best,
WW

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And for some reason, you have a problem with the record being broken.

You've got to get over it. Don't let this give you a heart attack. It's not worth it.

All the best,
WW

Is that the best you can come up with in defense of a lousy (nonexistent) marketing campaign, lol.

I have said here many times that records were made to be broken. You need to try harder.

Lou Figueroa

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Is that the best you can come up with in defense of a lousy (nonexistent) marketing campaign, lol.

I have said here many times that records were made to be broken. You need to try harder.

Lou Figueroa

They're really chasing 768. Hard enough?

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Nice try but the topic was marketing JS’s run, obviously something you know diddly-do-da about.

Lou Figueroa

Sorry, but I knew the man well., not diddly-do-da.

I know it doesn't suit your narrative, but the 526 has been broken a few times, even by the man himself. And please don't try to tell me I don't know didly-do-da, when you don't know me.

All the best,
WW

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but I knew the man well., not diddly-do-da.

I know it doesn't suit your narrative, but the 526 has been broken a few times, even by the man himself. And please don't try to tell me I don't know didly-do-da, when you don't know me.

All the best,
WW

We were not talking about who you knew.

We were talking about marketing.... of which you know diddly-do-da and I happen to know a fair amount about ;-)

Lou Figueroa

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Mosconi had put out a video of his 526 it probably would still be selling.

And the reason is that he just did it one night -- it would be lightning in a bottle. I would also have to say that there was something hypnotic about watching Mosconi run balls. He started out pretty deliberately but once he got going he fell into a rhythm and pace with a style that was beautiful to watch.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, you're correct but, just like with JS, the only people that would've been hypnotised would've been the "few" people like us.

Just like today, back then, the masses would've fell asleep, left the room or turned the channel after less than 4 or 5 racks.

Only constant is:

It takes a nut to sit and watch someone, hell, anyone shoot a pool ball into a hole over and over again.

It goes without saying, the repetition of watching what "seems like" the same ole shot over and over again, gets extremely boring for anyone thats not.....again, a pool nut or should I just say a "nut" in general?

Heck, most high level 9 ballers cant stand 1hole. They say it puts them to sleep. Lol....what would they say after watching someone run hundreds of balls?

Lou, we have a LOT in common. Heck, just loving 14.1 puts people in a group onto themselves. On the other hand, running 100+ balls even once puts us in an even smaller group.

Most don't nor will they ever see the picture the way we do.

If some slouch like myself feels like that, just imagine how the "really great" player felt/feels.

Jeff

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, you're correct but, just like with JS, the only people that would've been hypnotised would've been the "few" people like us.

Just like today, back then, the masses would've fell asleep, left the room or turned the channel after less than 4 or 5 racks.

Only constant is:

It takes a nut to sit and watch someone, hell, anyone shoot a pool ball into a hole over and over again.

It goes without saying, the repetition of watching what "seems like" the same ole shot over and over again, gets extremely boring for anyone thats not.....again, a pool nut or should I just say a "nut" in general?

Heck, most high level 9 ballers cant stand 1hole. They say it puts them to sleep. Lol....what would they say after watching someone run hundreds of balls?

Lou, we have a LOT in common. Heck, just loving 14.1 puts people in a group onto themselves. On the other hand, running 100+ balls even once puts us in an even smaller group.

Most don't nor will they ever see the picture the way we do.

If some slouch like myself feels like that, just imagine how the "really great" player felt/feels.

Jeff

Well I have to disagree.

Mosconi travelled the country for years putting on exhibitions and with just a poster on a wall would have people packed in to see him play.

People went because they knew they’d see a 100 ball run AND there was the general sense that you were going to go see the greatest that ever was. Maybe it was like going to see Pavarotti or Callas — I’m not an opera guy but I think you get what I’m saying. It wasn’t just about seeing balls go into the holes and that’s why I think a big run of his would still be selling today.

Lou Figueroa

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Nice try but the topic was marketing JS’s run, obviously something you know diddly-do-da about.

Lou Figueroa

Since you are an expert in self-promotion, we should all defer to your expertise

In reality, people are going to watch this video like crazy whether it fits your impatient time table or not