Question...

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a question that came up last week and I'm nopt sure what the correct "official" answer should be, I hope you can help:

In the middle of a game, the 14th ball was pocketed and the balls reracked. The player pockets the 15th ball on a safety and the ball is spotted.

Problem: The ball when placed on the foot spot doesn't freeze to the pack, there is a separation between the ball spotted and the rest of the pack..

Should the triangle be used to rerack the 15 balls tight or should they be left as they are without touching the the rack?

Thanks for your help on this one.

Dave

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
I believe they just rewrote the rule to be that the balls can be racked again to be tight. There is a thread recently here about the rule called "rerack 15 balls?" I believe.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
12squared said:
... Should the triangle be used to rerack the 15 balls tight or should they be left as they are without touching the the rack? ...
The concept behind the rule is that you should fix the referee's error (or he should be allowed to fix it himself). Rerack the balls. To the best of my knowledge, there was never a written rule against reracking if the balls hadn't been disturbed, although there was an informal rule in some places that the triangle should never return to the table.

The new rules (which are to be voted on by the WPA in a few days) are available as the last two items on http://www.sfbilliards.com/misc.htm

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you both for your wisdom & answering my question.

Bob, how are you doing? Dr. Dave suggested I call you about this but I figured I'd just make it public. Thanks.

Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
12squared said:
... Bob, how are you doing? ...
Hi Dave,

Never better, except I don't get to play as much as I'd like. Editing the rules was quite an experience.