Pat Howey

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
To all his friends in the pool world. His three year battle with a deadly disease came to an end last night. As Pat told us, the medical profession gave him weeks to live. He demanded and took nearly three years. He fished and played pool to near the very end. Pat posted here many times. Some of you might remember him as poolshark52. Pat's Pool Shark Fishing Charters were very popular. Many top players visited Rochester to fish with him before he "retired" to Florida.

Pat was one of my mentors. His knowledge of 14.1 was surpassed locally perhaps only by Mike Sigel and Irving Crane. He ran multiple hundreds many times on me. I understood his high run was over three hundred. Of the compliments I heard about Pat's game, one stood out. Mike Sigel told him his patterns were the best he'd seen. High praise indeed! Perhaps another poster knows more about Pat's tournament / gambling life. It's a very sad day for me.

Lyn

Reactions: JAM

billiard dave 7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is sad news. I had heard that he was sick when I visited Syracuse in April. I had seen him not too long ago in Florida. He seemed fine. Sigel was right. He did play beautiful paterns. I watched and played with him many times at CM Lees.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
This is very very sad news. Pat was a wonderful person and an absolute great pool player. He came to play in one of my 14.1 tournaments back in the late 80's and that was the first time I met Pat, he was warming up on a table I had just recovered and ran over 200 in practice! He finished high in the tournament only to be defeated by Jack Calovita and Mike Zuglan. Pat did not gamble a lot, but there was not a lot of players approaching him either. He was a family man and always stayed true to that. The last time we talked he did have a fond memory of a little fun gambling though, after the first night of that tourney we got a $20 ring game going with myself, Pat, Jack Calovita and Mike Zuglan, he never forgot that game as we had a blast. Pat was a total gentleman then and lived to that standard up to yesterday. Pat was one of the greatest straight pool players I ever saw, and I saw them all. Today, his suffering is over, but in the 14.1 world his legacy will always live on, as well as his inspiration as one of the USA's greatest ambasadors to straight pool EVER.

RIP my friend

Kevin Vidal

Last edited:

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
To all his friends in the pool world. His three year battle with a deadly disease came to an end last night. As Pat told us, the medical profession gave him weeks to live. He demanded and took nearly three years. He fished and played pool to near the very end. Pat posted here many times. Some of you might remember him as poolshark52. Pat's Pool Shark Fishing Charters were very popular. Many top players visited Rochester to fish with him before he "retired" to Florida.

Pat was one of my mentors. His knowledge of 14.1 was surpassed locally perhaps only by Mike Sigel and Irving Crane. He ran multiple hundreds many times on me. I understood his high run was over three hundred. Of the compliments I heard about Pat's game, one stood out. Mike Sigel told him his patterns were the best he'd seen. High praise indeed! Perhaps another poster knows more about Pat's tournament / gambling life. It's a very sad day for me.

Lyn
sorry to hear this.
i played pat 5 years ago or so.

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad news

Very sad news Lyn. I've had the pleasure of knowing him as a pool player and on the charter boat. He was always fun to watch and listen to. He sure liked new cloth. I remember once at Palace right after Phil recovered a table in the side room Pat ran over 200 against Mike D. That slip stroke of his was a thing of beauty. He will be missed. Many fond memories and no bad ones.

RIP

skip2134

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with Pat and I'm quite sure his high run was 326 or somewhere very near to that. Two years ago I asked him how many times he ran over 100 and he smiled back at me with no answer. Man, what a great guy to be around. I only had the opportunity to talk to him a couple times and he left an impression on me like no other. The 14.1 world has lost one of its greats.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad day, indeed. I remember Pat from Binghamton, Syracuse, Rochester, etc.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Pat Howey was a great man, a great player, and a great friend. He fought a courageous battle for a very long time. He is by far one of the best 14.1 players I have ever met. He was undoubtedly one of the nicest people I have ever met.

RIP, poolshark52. You will be terribly missed.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Here is a picture of Pat Howey at the 2007 DCC competing in the Straight Pool Challenge.

pat_howey-600x458.jpg

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My condolences to friends and family. I enjoyed his posts on here, he will be missed.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
rest in peace.

:frown:the great pat howey has left us. i am very sorry he is not with us now but his suffering is over. i loved him like a brother and will miss him very much. he was an awsome pool player and just alot of fun to be around . he had a high run over 300 and would run 100's all the time.
he could sing very good also. bout 4 yrs ago at valley forge we all went to a kareoke bar and pat did a englebert number that got everyones attention. he was great.

gary :(

GaryAR

Registered
I watched Pat play many many times in the back Room at Classic in Rochester up until I moved away a couple years back. I only talked to him a few times and honestly had no idea how good he really was until I saw a couple threads about him here. Everything about him was definitely one-of-a-kind, from the way the cue slid in his hand to the massive amount of baby powder he used (sometimes it was literally hard to see him through the cloud around him :) ). He went too early and will certainly be missed.

Gary

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is a very sad loss. In the land of Crane, Cranfield, and Sigel, better known as Rochester, NY, Pat was among the giants.

RonsTheOne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a tough loss. Pat was one of the nicest guys in pool I ever met. The last time I saw him play he played Stoney Stone one pocket at CM's. I watched them play for at least 8 hours and Pat just played awsome. Pat I only knew you a little but you will be missed.......RIP Ron

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
I. Just. Can't. Believe. It. Being touched by death is something that I am not used to especially when it's someone I know, I wish my best for his family and am deeply saddened by his passing. There will be a big, empty space where his number was drawn during a tournament, I hope that I can be as competitive as he was if/when I am older.

RIP Sir.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pat Howey was a "NAME" in the pool world for a very long time. He was a respected player and a well respected man.

JesPiddlin

Designed by Mother Nature
Silver Member
To all his friends in the pool world. His three year battle with a deadly disease came to an end last night. As Pat told us, the medical profession gave him weeks to live. He demanded and took nearly three years. He fished and played pool to near the very end. Pat posted here many times. Some of you might remember him as poolshark52. Pat's Pool Shark Fishing Charters were very popular. Many top players visited Rochester to fish with him before he "retired" to Florida....

If nobody has started a thread about him in the Hall of Fame, someone should start one called "Pat Howey aka poolshark52" or something along those lines, so everyone has his name and username in the subject line and knows where to post memories about him.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
If nobody has started a thread about him in the Hall of Fame, someone should start one called "Pat Howey aka poolshark52" or something along those lines, so everyone has his name and username in the subject line and knows where to post memories about him.

I'll ask the forum moderator to move this thread to Hall of Fame over the weekend. Thanks for the suggestion. We felt his loss twice. Once when he "retired" to Florida and visited us twice a year and now with his passing. He was a good friend and mentor.

Lyn