9balljim.......

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Well, I just got back home after playing a 14.1 league match against 9balljim. Jim beat me 150 to 106 and he beat me fair & square. Jim played with confidence & a calmness. He had good runs in the high teens and a few 20's. He made what he was supposed to make & than played good safes. I on the other hand caused my cue ball to find the bottom of a pocket six times giving up the table. The score was 137 to 58, when I finally put a 48 ball run together, but played poor position causing me not to get on a ball that I wanted. I attempted a hard shot and missed. That is all Jim need and he ran 11, then got into the next rack for the final two points.
Don't get me wrong. I do not like to lose but Congrats are due when a player like Jim plays his heart out and does what he is capable of doing. So, my hat is off to Jim, proud of you.

PS: Jim, you are no longer allowed in my house again.......LOL

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I just got back home after playing a 14.1 league match against 9balljim. Jim beat me 150 to 106 and he beat me fair & square. Jim played with confidence & a calmness. He had good runs in the high teens and a few 20's. He made what he was supposed to make & than played good safes. I on the other hand caused my cue ball to find the bottom of a pocket six times giving up the table. The score was 137 to 58, when I finally put a 48 ball run together, but played poor position causing me not to get on a ball that I wanted. I attempted a hard shot and missed. That is all Jim need and he ran 11, then got into the next rack for the final two points.
Don't get me wrong. I do not like to lose but Congrats are due when a player like Jim plays his heart out and does what he is capable of doing. So, my hat is off to Jim, proud of you.

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. I still can't believe the beginning of the game went the way it did. There were some uncharacteristic scratches by you and 110 balls in 12 innings (9.2 BPI) for me, which is about twice what my average BPI usually is. The next 8 innings I was playing safe or taking scratches while you kept finding shots and cut the lead from 110-18 to 110-56. I remember when I missed a few innings later at 137-58, I told my girlfriend that I needed 13 and you needed 92. She said come on you can win this. I told her I was worried. 😳 I told her Mike is a 100-ball runner. It could be over right here. What happened? You go on a 48-ball run. I thought for sure you were to going to run 92 and out. You were shooting as if you knew it was your last inning. When you missed I remember thinking I wish you missed one ball earlier so I didn't need to break the pack. Then I got so straight on my break shot and considered playing the break shot at 149 and playing safe into the side of the pack. Then I thought, I didn't want to have to try to out move you so I went for it and popped a few balls out and made that thin cut in the side.

That was, by far, the biggest win I've had in the 5 years I've been playing 14.1.

The most notable part of the match was when I made the 150th ball and walked over to you and you had a big smile and congratulated me. You were so happy for me. That meant a lot. Very good sportsmanlike attitude. Thanks for the great game.

I'll be over this next Friday night. Lol.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Congratulations to Jim

Great match. Jim played awfully good with all those twenties and high teens, and Mike did not give up no matter how far behind he was, coming back with a 48.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

Wow thats awesome, wish i were closer to get in on those friday games and of course to play in your league !!

Great win Jim, against such an accomplished player such as Mikey !!

-Steve

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So now that there's a new sheriff in town (move over 14-1StraightMan), when can we expect to see some videos from 9BallJim? :smile:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
So now that there's a new sheriff in town (move over 14-1StraightMan), when can we expect to see some videos from 9BallJim? :smile:

Jim has a few videos up already. Here is his high run of 57.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJot3OY5fB4

He has been to Chicago a few times and beat Ed Latimer which is no mean feat. Good shooter, patterns are good. Competition with Mike can do nothing but make him better.

I think we are going to have to raise his handicap a little when he gets back t Red Shoes. :wink:

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Steve and Dennis for the complements. I've probably played Mike 20-30 times and only was competitive one other time which happened to be our previous season's league match and Mike came back to beat me in that one. So this was a huge win for me.

Now I have to get ready for another league match this afternoon against another strong player.