RASCHIG Billiard Balls. Attention all owners and collectors.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Permit me if you will, dear reader, to recount what is surely the most extraordinary quest in my thirty plus years of seeking rare and unusual billiard balls from around the globe.

This story begins just over twelve months ago. It was the night before Christmas of 2016 when I received a festive email from eBay alerting me to the possibility that a new listing might be worthy of further note. Kudos indeed to whoever wrote that particular algorithm because its aim was unerring, nothing quite piques my attention like a pristine set of the fabled numberless Raschigs.

Everyone seeks to snag a bargain, naturally, so the asking price of 400 GBP (equivalent to something around 520 USD) was just a tad disappointing at this early stage, although wholly understandable given the item in question. I immediately declared a provisional interest, nonetheless, firing off a detailed enquiry to the seller. One always has a few disconcerting doubts over condition issues or, worse yet, being duped by outright counterfeits, so one or two polite questions regards historical origin and authenticity are seldom wasted.

A comprehensive and charming reply was swiftly forthcoming. The fellow worked for a jukebox distributor in the north of England, a rather impressive company with sizeable bases throughout Europe and America. Apparently, whilst refurbishing their German headquarters at Mainz, this highly prized Turniersatz box was discovered languishing somewhere in a dusty storeroom, a long since forgotten relic of a era when the firm also supplied pool tables, cues and accessories to the city's pubs and clubs in the 1980s.

I tendered a respectable bid. After a lengthy delay, the duration of which only stiffened my resolve to succeed, the offer was courteously declined with an explanation "they often fetch higher prices online, but" and here's the punchline that really knocked me sideways... "perhaps an agreement could be found if extra sets were purchased as a wholesale job lot!"

What I had serendipitously stumbled upon, ladies and gentlemen, was probably the largest hoard of vintage Raschigs anywhere on the planet. A veritable treasure trove! Furthermore, not only did this incredible collection boast an unimpeachable provenance, the balls were all untouched and in mint condition. I silently vowed there and then that a solution must be found to tempt the entire consignment westwards to my humble abode in Devon, preferably one which didn't involve pawning the family silver or an usurious second mortgage!

And so the negotiations began. I'll confess, my friends, this turned out to be a slow and rather serpentine process. Quite aside from reaching a financial agreement, the logistics of conveying such a valuable (and weighty) cargo across land and sea to my doorstep often proved extremely vexing. However, to cut a very long story mercifully short, the Raschigs eventually arrived on a rainy afternoon in June, 2017. It was a spectacular unveiling, reminiscent no doubt of Howard Carter's exploits ninety-five years hence revealing the gems nonpareil of Tutankhamen's tomb. The iconic blue boxes displayed a few minor signs of storage wear, a small scuff or scratch commensurate with age, but they had served their protective duty with distinction for three decades... the balls inside were magnificent!

At this point I sensed it was time to send for the cavalry, none other than AZB's very own K2Kraze, curator of the world's finest billiard ball collection and a person I'm honoured to call a friend. Suddenly finding myself in possession of such desirable masterpieces, realisation quickly dawned that expert help would be needed to find some of them deserving new homes in the United States. Being a fine chap as always Mr K offered his help and advice unreservedly but, after several heartfelt entreaties, I succeeded in persuading him to join me as a fifty-percent partner. :)

Compared to my endeavours thus far, the task of then transporting our precious Raschigs across the mighty Atlantic was reasonably straightforward and stress-free, if a tad costly! Four custom freight containers were commissioned and the balls dispatched via UPS on a forty-eight hour service to Fort Worth, Texas. And so it came to pass on a sunny August morn, albeit with our wallets considerably lighter, K2K finally took receipt of these incredible vintage treasures.

One might be forgiven, dear reader, in assuming that this happy event marked an end to my own personal chapter of the adventure... but it was not to be! There is an interesting postscript to our story, a transatlantic collaboration to create an English translation of Raschig's original eight-page booklet plus a certificate of authenticity and provenance. I hope you'll agree on viewing Mr K's beautiful photographs, below, the effort was worthwhile.

Best wishes,
Rubik's Cube.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall the scads and scores of emails that raced back and forth from Dallas to Devon as if it were yesterday - and in many ways it has been just that since we’ve conversed on this modern day treasure hunt and how serendipitous the whole matter unfolded.

But I’ll back up a decade or so.

It’s been at least that long that I’ve searched corners far and wide for a set of the elusive Raschig numberless 9’s in pristine if not perfect condition. Never played. Original box. And with it’s even more scarce 8-page leaflet. To no avail. Sure, I found sets with one or more of those qualities but NEVER in perfect, untouched and unplayed condition. Decent shape of course. Even in original boxes. All but one set even had a leaflet and it was in marginal condition. And those sets were only acquired in the last few years of the 10. And all but one set passed on to other caretakers that would be happy with any condition set but without all of the requisite qualities I was after. Surely there had to be a set somewhere.

Then an email arrived. It was my good friend Rubik’s Cube (RC) with news of a possible set of the 9’s as I described above - that he was also pursuing . And what really unfolded over those next few months was fraught with more twists and turns and what-ifs than an Agatha Christie novel. Questions of mystery and intrigue seemed to lurk at every juncture. Could it possibly be true that a small pallet of never seen, touched, played or even distributed Raschig numberless 9’s were waiting to be finally received - taken out of the dark recesses of that distribution warehouse?

Not only was it true that the small hoard existed and was available but once received, I think it’s fair to say all of our collected expectations were exceeded. The only thing missing were the leaflets!

Yes, the leaflets. Titled; Turniersatz 9-Ball. In German of course. Translated: Tournament 9-Ball. Eight pages of Raschig information on what made them unique in the early 1980’s but yet included rules for “Pool allgemein” or Standard pool. Another mystery...Which led me on a search for more information as to why did Raschig create such a leaflet that appeared to be made exclusively for inclusion in the blue-boxed 9-Ball sets yet had a pictures of their 1, 8 and 10-balls being tested with a Mitutoyo micrometer on page 2.

The first step - getting the entire leaflet translated into English so we could understand cat lying what they (Raschig) were telling us. Enter RC and his good friend from Germany that accepted the challenge of translating every single element between those 8-page covers. As to those details and painstaking hours it required, I’ll let RC chime in with that short story later in this thread.

The second step, once the translation was completed, was to get it printed. And since we’ve devoted literally hundreds of hours so far on this passion project, why not keep going with the madness and have the entire leaflet reproduced - in exact archival terms. Exact paper match - to the inks and coloring - to the unique font and kerning and style. Exact. And perfect. In German. And English - which was never offered by Raschig even though they distributed the ball sets globally. Long story made short for this part of the tale: I had the final German and English leaflets printed right here in Fort Worth by a fabulous shop specializing in archival prints. The entire process from RC’s transcription and then his mastery in formatting the English version and eventually sending the massive files on memory stick by air courier from Devon to me here in the USA and then on to samples and final printing took many months alone. No efforts or expenses were spared.

Oh - the details regarding the rarity of the leaflets themselves. I almost forgot...

From all of the archival records I could find including writings from various US, German and U.K. magazines to press releases from Raschig themselves, here is what I understand so far: they (Raschig) sent out the leaflets to distributors in separate Manilla envelopes with guidance that they would be inserted in respective ball sets when said distributors or even retailers received them. Intention was there for them to be sent with BOTH the numberless 9-Ball sets as well as their equally unique numbered 15-Ball sets...however, since most people couldn’t read the German printed text BUT they recognize and understand the “9-Ball” portion printed on the leaflets, most likely surmised they should be included in the 9-Ball sets only. Which is why two things have been realized decades later: one, no leaflets were ever included with the 15-Ball sets, and two, very few leaflets were even included with the 9-Ball sets - which sat in those original manilla envelopes with distributors and retailers. They never left. And most people don’t have them or even know they exist.

Until now.

And that brings me full circle to this truly unbelievable tale of discovery over a year ago that Rubik’s Cube not only pursued and brokered on both our behalves but painstakingly translated one lone original German language leaflet into an English version to the unique crating and transport across the Atlantic and much of the continental US to get here and rest under my care - with plans and hopes that a few remaining sets will find their way to those collectors and true fans of the rare and coveted Raschig numberless 9’s.

81653e20e953ec42abd2a69abcec8328.jpg

Never distributed.

Never touched by an ungloved hand throughout this entire process.

Never played.

All with original boxes and archival reprints of both the original German leaflet and the unique English translated version - as well as a Certificate of Authenticity and Provenance that RC created telling the brief story for those few sets we wound up with and plan on passing along to a few lucky folks.

32f64336c78a2beaf115e3a7cf85f3cc.jpg

I would like to encourage any and all Raschig fans, collectors and ball set owners to share their stories and experiences as well as posting up any information that may be of interest to all of here within this thread.

There are still a lot of mysteries and information regarding the Raschig’s that have been lost over the years - but with persistence and endless passion, perhaps we can fill in the gaps and appreciate these amazing manufactured marvels from nearly 4 decades past in our history.

d213277907c5f7c99e58dec6647e7148.jpg

~ K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone is interested in acquiring one of only a FEW sets of the numberless Raschig 9-Ball sets we have available for sale to AZB members only, please see a listing I just posted in the FOR SALE section.

Also available is a set of the archival reproduction of the German and translated to English version of the 8-page leaflet.

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
Very very beautiful looking.

Could you imagine the interest in these if they were used at the US Open 9 ball.

Save a set for Dean Campbell, he's going to become a 9 ball player after his table comes. :smile:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean told me a few weeks ago (albeit before this thread or saying only a few sets would be avail for sale) that he “isn’t a 9-Ball player” and didn’t want a set

Perhaps he’ll change his mind

~ K.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Raschig is heralded as the best which might indeed be the case.
Nonetheless, the only numberless pool balls I care for are carom.
Having said that, it's a handsome looking set of Raschig pool balls.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it’s worth noting that the folks heading up Raschig ball productions in general had the goal and intent from the very beginning to manufacture the best balls at the time and thus experimented with new technologies (ideas really) to get them there. While everyone else was using a hot-pour technique under high pressures with their resins, the Raschig engineers went to the cast resin idea and their proprietary resin mix - using glass molds without pressure that would need to be broken away from the individual balls - and then use a unique “centerless” turning lathe to get the exact specs they were after. And that elusive “perfect” ball. One at a time. Which is why many of the sets I’ve personally weighed have most balls at the exact same weight - within 1/10th of 1 gram of each other.

Some would say it’s because they have no stripes or numbers - but you’d be set straight on that line of thinking when you get to weighing the numbered sets as well.

I’m certain that modern-day manufacturers all strive for the same goals as Raschig did back in the day, just at a high-volume level to make them more profitable. Even the best Aramith balls aren’t within the tolerances of Raschig. A different resin, yes. A different ball. Of course they are. They aren’t Aramith. Unique in colors as well as sound.

Unique in many ways and always a pleasure to get them out on the table for a few racks of 9-Ball. Slow the game down just a bit since the brain is relating colors to numbers. So enjoy the extra few seconds until the next sharp “clack” is heard between balls.

b9804cfe9ce7dc4a84d173fd33083065.jpg

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Raschig is heralded as the best which might indeed be the case.
Nonetheless, the only numberless pool balls I care for are carom.
Having said that, it's a handsome looking set of Raschig pool balls.

How about a set of Raschig carom balls, sir?

They are out there of course.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the kind words, ahk10.

A few hundred hours, a small pile of and a great friend at your side throughout the adventures and it’s amazing the treasures one can find - and then share them

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey gents, was the full set numberless too?

Seriously. I mean, is it too much to ask for them to put forth some effort? I mean, the pool balls practically landed on their doorstep, right?:eek:

Edit- oops. Wrong quote. Thought I was replying to:
How about a set of Raschig carom balls, sir?

They are out there of course.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey gents, was the full set numberless too?

Hello HUKIT - the only numberless pool ball sets Raschig produced were the 9-Ball sets pictured in this thread. They did make carom and snooker sets along with a full numbered set of the traditional 1 through 15’s which have been featured in the Pool Ball collecting thread.

~ K.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very very beautiful looking.

Could you imagine the interest in these if they were used at the US Open 9 ball.

Save a set for Dean Campbell, he's going to become a 9 ball player after his table comes. :smile:

Dean needs 2 sets so he can play 1p with them.

Imo

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a good image of one the first cast resin glass molds that Raschig used for their balls - which later became linked units of 3-5 balls so they could be poured more efficiently...

c474635ff60798f8c2e18609c9e0f69f.jpg

~ K.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, K2K. :)

You really have done a first class job of researching these beautiful billiard balls, sir, the paucity of information to be found about Raschigs has always proved a problem to us collectors so to learn a little more is most welcome and appreciated. Did you scour your extensive library of vintage cuesport magazines?

Whilst here, a sincere thank you to the folks who purchased a set of our R9s when this thread went live yesterday, the astonishing response was far beyond my wildest expectations and I'm genuinely surprised and grateful.

Best wishes,
RC.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, everyone. :)

I just stumbled upon a few links to archived forum discussions about Raschig billiard balls (most of them from AZB) stored on my computer from ages ago when I was desperately searching for a set. Here they are if anyone is interested.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=319633

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=289957

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=397142

http://www.poolchat.net/forums/inde...s-full-16-ball-set-1-15-39900-9-ball-set-499/

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=417475

Best wishes,
RC.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
The Raschig Turniersatz (numberless) balls were used at an event called The Billiard Cup International, presumably in the late 1970s. I have searched extensively online for photographic records of this tournament, alas to no avail.

Can any AZB historians help out, perhaps?

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, everyone. :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=js4MrSIkGs4

Here is a short corporate video from the mighty Raschig celebrating their 125th anniversary. I never knew that they began life as a thimble manufacturer! It was very interesting to see the timeline detailed, from their first introduction of phenolic resins right up until those beautiful billiard balls. :)

Speaking of which, ladies and gentlemen, only two sets remain from our German treasure trove (please see K2Kraze's thread in the 'for sale' section).

Best wishes,
RC.