US Open 10 ball , Really?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's nice for CSI to create a tournament for the players , however someone will walk away with a US Open Crown on paper that will be viewed the same as any US Open 9 ball ,
I simply can't see it in that light

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand, it's just another game format. Besides, at least it's another tournament.

Call me cheap because I'm not paying to stream it, but the advertising of those free streams a couple weeks ago actually worked on me. I'm now eager to find out just how far REVO's can be customized (they mentioned weight, but I still don't see that listed anywhere).

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's nice for CSI to create a tournament for the players , however someone will walk away with a US Open Crown on paper that will be viewed the same as any US Open 9 ball ,
I simply can't see it in that light

I know.....

Without the rich history of an alcoholic egomaniac singing the national anthem, and drunkenly sobbing while telling everybody how much it means to him that he gets to stiff players YEAR after YEAR, hoping they get paid.....

Its just not a REAL tournament is it.

:duck:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I know.....

Without the rich history of an alcoholic egomaniac singing the national anthem, and drunkenly sobbing while telling everybody how much it means to him that he gets to stiff players YEAR after YEAR, hoping they get paid.....

Its just not a REAL tournament is it.

:duck:

You forgot the banjos, trumpets and nieces singing the anthem while the players go cold.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
wimpy names

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I think the OP point is that there are only 36 players in the field and the quality doesn’t stand up to the Us Open 9 ball. CSI has failed again to promote this event properly and like many of their events across all their platforms in recent years, participation is way down.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand, it's just another game format. Besides, at least it's another tournament.

Call me cheap because I'm not paying to stream it, but the advertising of those free streams a couple weeks ago actually worked on me. I'm now eager to find out just how far REVO's can be customized (they mentioned weight, but I still don't see that listed anywhere).

I got a flyer from the Predator booth at the US Open in April 2019, it says:

Custom Predator
1. 12.4 or 12.9mm
2. joint type: uni-loc, radial, 3/8x10, 5/16x14, 5/16x18
3. length: 29in or 30in. (coming soon)
4. weight: 3.5oz or 4.0oz or 4.5oz
5. vault plate color: white or black
6. tip choice: victory S,M,H or kamui black SS,S,M,H
7. engraving: 12 character limit
price $599
90 day turnaround time

anyways...….that's all the choices it gave.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players need prizemoney for showing up. CSI is doing U.S Open tournaments with crappy payouts. = Boring and no one takes these tourneys seriously. sad,

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These comments really show pool fans at their lowest. Consistently promoting $10k added tournaments and that’s crappy payouts? Mother of God! CSI or rather Mark has been one of the best things for AMERICAN pool in years.
I will agree scheduling hurt this tourney, I get trying to have it while the worlds best are all in town, but, it’s hard for anyone to stay away from home for 6 weeks. True road warriors like Efren, Dennis, and Alex who hang out in the US for months are special breeds... the lesson has been learned and I have no doubt it will improve next year.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a flyer from the Predator booth at the US Open in April 2019, it says:

Custom Predator
1. 12.4 or 12.9mm
2. joint type: uni-loc, radial, 3/8x10, 5/16x14, 5/16x18
3. length: 29in or 30in. (coming soon)
4. weight: 3.5oz or 4.0oz or 4.5oz
5. vault plate color: white or black
6. tip choice: victory S,M,H or kamui black SS,S,M,H
7. engraving: 12 character limit
price $599
90 day turnaround time

anyways...….that's all the choices it gave.

Thank You! At least I know it's officially in the works.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
True, the field is small, but there are a lot of good players there and that means good matches and some exciting competition. There is $7,500 added to each event with a $5,000 bonus awarded to the top two players overall. First prize might be 10K or less but as I always tell Dennis, "If you come in first you've made a nice score." Someone could win 20K or more this week at Griff's.

Good for Mark (and Predator) for creating a bounty of new events in Las Vegas this year. More tournaments is good for professional pool and keeps players in action. The timing of this particular event could have been better and that is something that CSI will look at for next year I'm sure.

As for me I wish I could have made it over there to watch some of these tournaments and even done a little commentary, but my schedule is pretty busy now with work I am doing in Los Angeles.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players need prizemoney for showing up. CSI is doing U.S Open tournaments with crappy payouts. = Boring and no one takes these tourneys seriously. sad,
What does the Finnish Open pay???? Salted-fish???? Seriously brother. WOW.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the OP point is that there are only 36 players in the field and the quality doesn’t stand up to the Us Open 9 ball. CSI has failed again to promote this event properly and like many of their events across all their platforms in recent years, participation is way down.
Some get it most don't , Maybe it was my disappointment when I went to buy the stream and saw the field and I was like WTF is this ,
I just expected much better in a US Open event , anybody who says they wouldn't expect better is simply not telling the truth,

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Money aside, it doesn't seem like any of the CSI "US Open" events have gotten a very strong field.

The banks/straight pool/one-pocket US Opens earlier this year were a total dud. 20-30 players per tournament, only a handful of top players, and everybody else was playing in some pretty big events on the other side of the country.

Here's the thing....when you attach "US Open" to an event, I think there's an expectation that it's going to be an elite field. Look at other sports that have a "US Open" event. And the US Open 9-ball, with all of its shortcomings, has always produced a deep international field.

Just not seeing that in the CSI events.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Money aside, it doesn't seem like any of the CSI "US Open" events have gotten a very strong field.

The banks/straight pool/one-pocket US Opens earlier this year were a total dud. 20-30 players per tournament, only a handful of top players, and everybody else was playing in some pretty big events on the other side of the country.

Here's the thing....when you attach "US Open" to an event, I think there's an expectation that it's going to be an elite field. Look at other sports that have a "US Open" event. And the US Open 9-ball, with all of its shortcomings, has always produced a deep international field.

Just not seeing that in the CSI events.

Bingo

vinay

Registered
These comments really show pool fans at their lowest. Consistently promoting $10k added tournaments and that’s crappy payouts? Mother of God!

That IS pretty crappy payout for something that's billed as "US Open". It's great for a local or tour event. It's a $600 entry fee, plus hundreds of dollars at least in flights and hotel. Maybe the top 5-6 player will even break even on playing in that.

This isn't to criticize the organizers but it's an indication of the sorry state of the sport overall. Contrast that to the 2019 US Open Golf tournament which paid out $21k to the 79th, i.e. the LAST PLACE finisher who makes the cut for the main event.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That IS pretty crappy payout for something that's billed as "US Open". It's great for a local or tour event. It's a $600 entry fee, plus hundreds of dollars at least in flights and hotel. Maybe the top 5-6 player will even break even on playing in that.

This isn't to criticize the organizers but it's an indication of the sorry state of the sport overall. Contrast that to the 2019 US Open Golf tournament which paid out $21k to the 79th, i.e. the LAST PLACE finisher who makes the cut for the main event.

You beat me to the pocket billiards isn't golf comment. Golf is one game, and it doesn't have the same name as a recreation structure. (Imagine calling Golf swim, we call our sport POOL.) Pocket billiards will never be Golf or snooker. (Don't look now but slippery stairs is coming up!)