Big pin ivory joint hit

MikeF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the hit really that good? I know other factors of the cue come into play..

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

I've got a 5/16 pin Ivory Joint that hits very good. Its not a big pin but its an
Ivory Joint. Plays harder though when its cold. You have to warm it up with your hand.
The slimmer the shaft the harder the hit. A lot goes into the hit.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big pin, are you talking about a 1/2 by 8?

Good one! :thumbup:

Curious. Have you ever made your wood pin cues with an ivory collared joint?

I still don't have one of yours and every time it comes up I kick myself.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cannot know how a cue is going to "hit" based on the joint alone. This has been definitively proven. The "hit" is also VERY subjective, different people trying the same cue would have different opinions.

Julian

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cannot know how a cue is going to "hit" based on the joint alone. This has been definitively proven. The "hit" is also VERY subjective, different people trying the same cue would have different opinions.

Julian

As was said, cue "hit" has many determining factors- solid ivory joint with 3/8 10 Pin- Gilbert made a lot of those- I had one once- if you pair that with a stiff taper shaft and a very hard tip it will play different than a 12.5 MM pro taper shaft with a tiger soft or ultra soft tip - so many factors on a cue "hit" you just can't look at one aspect for a final conclusion.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
As was said, cue "hit" has many determining factors- solid ivory joint with 3/8 10 Pin- Gilbert made a lot of those- I had one once- if you pair that with a stiff taper shaft and a very hard tip it will play different than a 12.5 MM pro taper shaft with a tiger soft or ultra soft tip - so many factors on a cue "hit" you just can't look at one aspect for a final conclusion.

Have you ever played with a South West and what did you think of that hit?

MikeF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No I haven't, & I've yet to hit with a cue that has an ivory joint/big pin.

Yes, I understand it's subjective, I just wanted some opinions to see if it's worthwhile to pursue acquiring one.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some of my favorite cues have had 3/8 pin ivory joint, Mottey,Joss,Szamboti, Pfd

i am not sure they are not the best,i would try one if i were you

i don't think the pin size makes any difference though radial,3/8 10 or 11
the thing is flat face or piloted

i like both

go ahead and buy the cue

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member

Its good, no different than a wood to wood tho. Now one thing is for sure when it comes to ivory joints, the ivory over steel is not an ivory joint...nor will it ever play like an ivory joint. Contrary to what some might say, an ivory sleeve over steel is 100% going to play like a steel joint cue.

#FACT

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I've got a 5/16 pin Ivory Joint that hits very good. Its not a big pin but its an
Ivory Joint. Plays harder though when its cold. You have to warm it up with your hand.
The slimmer the shaft the harder the hit. A lot goes into the hit.
What does "harder" mean here?

pj
chgo

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the basic problems is that poolplayers cant seem to agree on whats a good hit...
This must have been discussed a thousand times. I still maintain that tip, ferrule, shaft material and taper is what you mostly feel. Not that the butt with all it's components doesn't matter, but I think it's harder to distinguish the separate pieces.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but, yes, I have. I love it myself! My current cue plays very close to a South West and is why I bought it many, many years ago. I've also played with a big pin (similar to a McDermott) with a full ivory jointed Joss custom made by Dan Janes. I liked it but I prefer something a bit harder hitting. Hit is all personal taste, anyway.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Gotta admit, a capped ivory joint with big screw has a nice feel to it.
Prone to cracking though .

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Rick Howard is solid ivory joint and big pin 3/8x10. The old saying holds here too, "you have to try it to believe it".
If you're ever down here in Birmingham shoot me a PM on here and you can play a few games with mine. 1 shaft ivory ferrule and 1 with old Westinghouse micarta. I think it's a medium soft hit, especially compared to a Schon and a Josey that I had.
I have a Triangle tip on the ivory and a Chandivert Champion on the micarta.
I believe, like others have said, that the tip, ferrule, shaft diameter and taper has way more to do with the hit than joint material.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big Pin Flat Ivory Joints (Radial or 3/8 x 10 & 12)

I have played with every version ivory cue joint and after all is said and done,
big pin flat ivory cue joints play the best and my cue collection reflects this.
I could have had my cue-makers use any cue joint building my cues but there
was never a question in my mind what to use. I used to own a Paul Mottey cue
with a piloted ivory cue joint and it played wonderful but that was the closest I
ever came to keeping a cue with a different cue joint. Nope, traded that cue with
Bill Grassley and instead got a Prewitt cue with big pin flat ivory joint. So glad I
did that & I’d be buying cues if I could legally order a custom cue with big pin flat
ivory joint but CA law forbids doing this since 7/1/16 which ended my cue collecting.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tim Scruggs,known for all kinds of joints and great playing cues

told me that he

preferred the flat face cues

he felt like they were the best overall

he made some thin walled steel joint flat face and preferred that
to anything

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta admit, a capped ivory joint with big screw has a nice feel to it.
Prone to cracking though .

That's exactly what happened to the Joss I played with. The owner admitted that Dan had warned him about the possibility of cracking but he insisted he wanted the full ivory joint anyway. Dan replaced the ivory with phenolic after it cracked.