Reload this Page Thankful for table 6
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Thankful for table 6
Old
  (#1)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Thankful for table 6 - 08-15-2019, 02:54 PM

I played a lot of pool on table 6 in Arlington Texas.

A old gold crown with the corner sag as is so common.

Simonis cloth and a butchered triple shim job made for a couple of pockets that required "special" planning if you wanted any chance of getting a ball in them. A bad roll wouldnt allow babying shots. Shims that stuck out from the rail further reduced the pocket openings. A jag from shims not stacked correctly made the pockets even more contrary.

So why be thankful?
Well that table taught me how to go around the table to move those balls to a position where they at least stood a chance of going. Position play which still is needed all the time.

Anyone else learn a valueable lesson playing on substandard equipment ?

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Law of logical arguement-Anything is possible when you dont know what you are talking about.

Old
  (#2)
Ron Padilla
AzB Silver Member
Ron Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Not a lesson, well ya maybe it was. I started playing in 1967 at the ripe age of 14 in a burn of Los Angeles at a place called Lees pool hall. At the time from what I can recall anyway I dont think it had any Gold Crowns, they were all the much older tables that at that time were taller or so it seemed and I was a little taller. I played pretty steady till I got out of the army in 75, then stopped playing, when I started again a few years later someone was watching my game and mentioned that I had a little bit of side arm to my stroke! So it took me a few a while to make a conscientious attempt to correct that and have been successful at it, I just wished I had the eyes from back then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#3)
Joe_Jaguar
AzB Silver Member
Joe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Jaguar has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2019, 03:23 PM

Was it The Table 6?

Old
  (#4)
Ron Padilla
AzB Silver Member
Ron Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2019, 03:51 PM

It could have been nine and hes dyslexic?!

Old
  (#5)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

08-15-2019, 03:59 PM

Having started playing pool before the days of Simonis cloth definitely helped me to develop more power in my stroke. Drawing the length of the table or stunning to the rail and back out on a relatively straight shot was far more difficult back in the day.

Of course, I had no idea that I was playing on substandard equipment at the time, but it crystal clear now that it was so.

them li'l fellas
Old
  (#6)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!

ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

them li'l fellas - 08-15-2019, 04:25 PM

'
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
I played a lot of pool on table 6 in Arlington Texas.

A old gold crown with the corner sag as is so common.

Simonis cloth and a butchered triple shim job made for a couple of pockets that required "special" planning if you wanted any chance of getting a ball in them. A bad roll wouldnt allow babying shots. Shims that stuck out from the rail further reduced the pocket openings. A jag from shims not stacked correctly made the pockets even more contrary.

So why be thankful?
Well that table taught me how to go around the table to move those balls to a position where they at least stood a chance of going. Position play which still is needed all the time.

Anyone else learn a valueable lesson playing on substandard equipment ?
I think those little fellas from the Philippines learned a lot playing on substandard equipment. I think it helped my game too, to play off the wall in places with nice tables, cues, and air conditioning. Rat holes with ten foot tables with cloth thicker than some carpet now. A big four or five foot fan in the wall sucked in wet air off of the Mississippi River and bugs under about three-eighths inch cross section came in right through the hardware cloth that kept rats and stray cats out anyway. You learned fast that speed could overcome small bugs but junebugs or bigger had to be moved out of the balls' path. You found out fast if you really had a stroke or not on those wet ten footers too.

I practiced on a snooker table some sadist had set up for golf too. I was getting where I could bank balls with some degree of success on the table before I moved away. I was talking about old times and that table to a fellow who worked at The World's Pool Hall and he got excited. He said that was exactly the kind of table he learned on. He was from the Philippines.

Myself, pretty much all of the US players, are hothouse players now. Works OK until we leave the hothouses then we can struggle.

Hu

Old
  (#7)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2019, 05:16 PM

Since i moved down here to Naples Fl. full time the only true billiard room within distance is diamond Billiards Cape Coral Fl with the old red label 9 ft diamonds-- forced me to alter my game to pocket on this table- 4 1/2 on the back 8 tables- bad rail speeds etc. etc- actually improved my game because i need to be letter perfect in getting close position at the perfect angles to continue runs in 14.1 and 9/10 ball- I have become much better because i accepted the challenge instead of fighting it.

(#8)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!

ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

location - 08-15-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
Since i moved down here to Naples Fl. full time the only true billiard room within distance is diamond Billiards Cape Coral Fl with the old red label 9 ft diamonds-- forced me to alter my game to pocket on this table- 4 1/2 on the back 8 tables- bad rail speeds etc. etc- actually improved my game because i need to be letter perfect in getting close position at the perfect angles to continue runs in 14.1 and 9/10 ball- I have become much better because i accepted the challenge instead of fighting it.

Location is important for more than real estate! Playing on the Diamonds in New Orleans I had an impression that was completely different from the one I had after playing on some in much dryer Dallas.

Accepting what is and rolling with it was hammered home on the job for me years ago. I had been using AutoCAD for years, knew the workarounds and when I didn't like something about an upgrade I changed it. Did a little of my own mapping on the tablet overlay too. Then I had to start using Intergraph PC also. What took me one or two clicks to do in AutoCAD took four or five in Intergraph! I fought it for several weeks, crappy software! Felt like I was beating my head against a brick wall all day every day. One day I finally woke up, it R what it R and I am going to have to deal with it. My blood pressure went down about twenty points top and bottom when I accepted that I was going to work with Intergraph, didn't matter if I liked it or not. It wasn't AutoCAD and I had to accept that too. In a week or two I was rolling along.

Hu

Old
  (#9)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Padilla View Post
It could have been nine and hes dyslexic?!

That would be a indication of something but dyslexia isnt it.

Actually due to tables being moved around, there wasnt a table 9 .

Law of logical arguement-Anything is possible when you dont know what you are talking about.

Old
  (#10)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 08:22 AM

When I first started playing pool - albeit poorly - in a small Iowa town the only tables were snooker tables. You kind of need to re-learn the game when you switch from that to pool although I'd say switching from snooker to pool is probably easier than pool to snooker. Some shots that drop on a pool table don't on a snooker table.

Old
  (#11)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
That would be a indication of something but dyslexia isnt it.

Actually due to tables being moved around, there wasnt a table 9 .
It could be a table 9 if he was Australian

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#12)
Runner
AzB Silver Member
Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 08:34 AM

I thought you were gonna talk about Table 6 at Hard Times Bellflower..
THE challenge and money game table.. super tight pockets.. if you
even grazed the rail shooting in the corner, the ball would rattle and
stand up.

Old
  (#13)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Having started playing pool before the days of Simonis cloth definitely helped me to develop more power in my stroke. Drawing the length of the table or stunning to the rail and back out on a relatively straight shot was far more difficult back in the day.

Of course, I had no idea that I was playing on substandard equipment at the time, but it crystal clear now that it was so.
I hear ya brother. Hey, that 'ol Mali-Stevens cloth was all we had. It wasn't substandard in fact i loved it. When 760 first came out i seriously thought about quitting. I hated that super-fast crap. They got the message and 860 arrived. Just the right speed imo. I was lucky i learned to play on really nice GC'1's in a post-Hustler all Brunswick family spot. It was great.

Old
  (#14)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member

08-16-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I thought you were gonna talk about Table 6 at Hard Times Bellflower..
THE challenge and money game table.. super tight pockets.. if you
even grazed the rail shooting in the corner, the ball would rattle and
stand up.
No but on the table I am describing you couldnt pocket a ball down the long rail or even a inch off the rail if it was more then a diamond out from the #2 pocket in golf.

We mainly played 1 pkt there using the foot end and the pockwts werent as bad

Old
  (#15)
kevoka
AzB Silver Member
kevoka has a reputation beyond reputekevoka has a reputation beyond reputekevoka has a reputation beyond reputekevoka has a reputation beyond reputekevoka has a reputation beyond reputekevoka has a reputation beyond reputekevoka has a reputation beyond reputekevoka has a reputation beyond reputekevoka has a reputation beyond reputekevoka has a reputation beyond reputekevoka has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
Intergraph
Hu
God, I had completely forgot about Intergraph.

What a blast from the past.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: