Fundamentals - That Pesky Mechanical Bridge!

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The dreaded shot. Your opponent has missed, left you a difficult shot and you come to the sudden realisation that its now even harder because the cue ball is too far away! Eff it! you say, I'll take my chances with a bridge just in front of the the cues joint. You mis cue and wander back to your seat looking for that over priced tip scuffer to repair the damage. You're massively pissed off at yourself at this point and vow to use that $30 chalk that you daren't use every shot because its so damn expensive. Yeah, that'll stop me from miscuing you say!

But wait...there is another option. One handed? Behind the ol' back shot? Shoot with the other hand? Grow 12"? Why do people use the bridge as a last resort? Some players forget that it even exists.

First bit of advice...where is it located? Well, usually on the long side of a table underneath or attached to the side. Failing that most pool halls have a bridge for every other table so if you cant find it, don't be afraid to ask the drunk guys the next table over if they've seen it.

So, onto how to use it...

Firstly lets start with how to grip it. Inspect how you hold a pen. Most people hold a bridge like an oversized pen. So for me, this is with the cue snug against my webbing between the thumb and index finger. The thumb goes underneath, and the index and middle finger on top. The ring and pinky just curl up and rest against the side of the cue. For others they may have just the index on top or index, middle and ring fingers on top. Where do you hold it I hear you say? Not too far back and not too far forward. I like to leave about 4" from the end of the butt of the cue. If I hold it any further back the cue has a tendency to slide out as I follow through with the wrist action I use. A final word on the grip...don't have it too tight, don't have it too loose. Hold it like you would any other shot. As you follow through the fingers need to release, so when practicing just have the fingers on top slightly around the cue but as you follow through the fingers on top then should straighten. Hold an invisible sandwich, go to take a bite, STOP! Look at your fingers and thumb....thats how the finished position should sort of look. Ok, continue to eat the invisible sandwich.

Now I will move on to some common problems a lot of players face....

Problem number 1 - the bridge is under the cue. Bad move. The butt of the bridge should not be on the line of aim. Move it out of the way to the side. Place your hand on the bridges butt. This aids stability. You are more balanced, more weight is on the butt and thus the butt has a hard time sliding all over the table.

Problem number 2 - you are not playing darts, so why do you look like you're aiming a dart shot. The elbow on the shooting hand should be out to the side. Try getting the elbow up nice and high to the side. A little below the grip. The problem with a low elbow is it leads to scooping of the ball. Its harder to cue straight through. All this leads to is that tip scuffer of yours and the $30 chalk getting more use than they should.

Problem number 3 - jabby strokes. This is rife with weaker players using the bridge. Take your time as you would a normal stroke and keep it smooth. Slow back stroke and a smooth transition into the forward stroke gaining momentum all the way upto the cue ball.

Problem number 4 - bridge length. Too many have a very short bridge when using the mechanical bridge. It causes you to cue down on the ball and making it easier to miscue, or if you don't hit it as you planned, swerve the cue ball and miss. Lengthen the bridge to around your natural bridge length. The non jabby cue action you've developed from the previous paragraph needs some room to work with.

Problem number 5 - getting the head too close and nearly poking your eye out. Whilst its funny to watch someone do this, its not beneficial. Get that arm out I'm front and check with your warm up strokes that if you pull all the way back you wont hit yourself in the eye or throat with the cue.

Problem number 6 - not getting down low enough. People tend to stand too upright with the bridge. Although you cant get as low as normal, you can still get pretty damn low so get as low as possible and have the cue as level as possible to give you a bigger margin for error if you apply a little bit of English.

So, these are my tips on how to use the bridge. It is hard to develop a repeatable cue action with the bridge and the only advice i can give for this is to practice making it as straight as you can. If any of my tips hinder you being able to cue straight with it then throw that tip in the bin. I cant please and cater for everyone :-(

Cheers,

Mooneye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for bringing this up, Pidge. I don't practice with it and I never think about it until I need it - usually to my opponents benefit.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting post. A lot of players don't know how to use the bridge correctly and most hate using it. I hate using it myself so I got a Longoni extension that slips on the butt of my cue and I only need the bridge for the most unreachable shots. It made a huge difference for me. Once you get used to it you can put it on and take it off in seconds. It hasn't scuffed my cue butt. I take a little ribbing once in a while: "What are you using a flashlight for?" Hah.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Excellent post Pidge. I don't subscribe to fully implementing snooker fundaments for pool, but one area that pool players could learn much and more from snooker players is in the use of the bridge. It's always been a horrible weak spot for me. I watched an online youtube snooker instructional on the topic and I learned basic technique things I had never known that helped me tremendously. It was mostly what you indicated in your post. Good information.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Well done, Pidge. Watch Alex the Lion for an example of good bridge technique. Funny how well the shorter players use a bridge.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question about your problem #2.

Any problem with stoke straightness using elbow to the side ? I find it easier to stroke straight with the bridge using what you describe as dart aiming.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question about your problem #2.

Any problem with stoke straightness using elbow to the side ? I find it easier to stroke straight with the bridge using what you describe as dart aiming.
There can be issues if the grip is too tight. It doesn't let the cue move freely on a kind of hinge of the wrist if that makes sense. If you keep the grip light, but not too light then the cue can both move level and straight as the wrist will correct any side ways motion. It takes practice to learn to cue straight but hopefully my tips will get people started on the right tracks to utilizing the bridge.

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
the actual bridge placement position on the shot line

Good info, but there is one thing you missed - and the thing that made me made 90% of my present bridge shots.
Take an extra moment to actually visualize the cue ball shot line - where the cue ball needs to go in order to pocket the object ball. Visualize this imaginary shot line coming behind the cue ball towards you - and there is the exact spot where you need to place the bridge! Only now you can start your actual aiming, practice strokes and so on.
If the bridge placement is not exact, there are so many mistakes that happen without you even realizing...

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good info, but there is one thing you missed - and the thing that made me made 90% of my present bridge shots.
Take an extra moment to actually visualize the cue ball shot line - where the cue ball needs to go in order to pocket the object ball. Visualize this imaginary shot line coming behind the cue ball towards you - and there is the exact spot where you need to place the bridge! Only now you can start your actual aiming, practice strokes and so on.
If the bridge placement is not exact, there are so many mistakes that happen without you even realizing...
I thought aiming the shot was a given...

It a different type of aiming to most pool players though. In snooker, the pros generally just place the bridge on the line of aim first, then place the cue on the bridge, then slide the bridge forward into position with the cue, always staying on the line if aim. I cant believe I missed this bit out. Dough! :-(

So instead of putting the bridge at your bridge length, then coming across with it to where you want to aim on the cue ball, start a few feet back on the line of aim and slide the bridge along the line. Its a good habit to get into. Thanks for that :)

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Your right

There can be issues if the grip is too tight. It doesn't let the cue move freely on a kind of hinge of the wrist if that makes sense. If you keep the grip light, but not too light then the cue can both move level and straight as the wrist will correct any side ways motion. It takes practice to learn to cue straight but hopefully my tips will get people started on the right tracks to utilizing the bridge.

I recently made one of my most common bridge mistakes and realized I wasn't using my head at all when using the bridge.

It seems that the elevation that I have been giving the cue is just a bit much when applying bottom English and ball likes to jump in the pocket over the ball. This told me I need to get myself a bridge of my own carry it and learn to use it. Most other shots I use it for I do very well with. You are spot on for this one Pidge.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently made one of my most common bridge mistakes and realized I wasn't using my head at all when using the bridge.

It seems that the elevation that I have been giving the cue is just a bit much when applying bottom English and ball likes to jump in the pocket over the ball. This told me I need to get myself a bridge of my own carry it and learn to use it. Most other shots I use it for I do very well with. You are spot on for this one Pidge.
Low on the cue ball is out of the realms of possibility for some very good players when using the bridge because of this very reason. Their cues elevation is too steep and miscue more often than not, or don't get the reaction the wanted. I've found the steeper elevation to be for a few reasons. The bridge length firstly is a major problem. The shorter bridge length leads to a higher butt when hitting low. By lengthening the bridge you can hit lower without raising the butt half as much. Also people stand up high. Getting down lower gives me a better view of where I'm actually hitting ao getting down low means the butt has to go lower. Then people don't realise that most bridges have a high and a low resting point for the cue. Most aren't a + shape but are actually X shaped. Turn the X on its side and you can hit lower with less elevation.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Great post!
BTW the "Just a Bridge" is the best!! Should be standard everywhere. Worth the extra $$

pickngrin

I always had trouble shooting with a house bridge so I got a moosehead slip-on bridge and now I'm doing much better. It gives many more possibilities for cue height and it won't damage my shaft.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The dreaded shot. Your opponent has missed, left you a difficult shot and you come to the sudden realisation that its now even harder because the cue ball is too far away! Eff it! you say, I'll take my chances with a bridge just in front of the the cues joint. You mis cue and wander back to your seat looking for that over priced tip scuffer to repair the damage. You're massively pissed off at yourself at this point and vow to use that $30 chalk that you daren't use every shot because its so damn expensive. Yeah, that'll stop me from miscuing you say!

But wait...there is another option. One handed? Behind the ol' back shot? Shoot with the other hand? Grow 12"? Why do people use the bridge as a last resort? Some players forget that it even exists.

First bit of advice...where is it located? Well, usually on the long side of a table underneath or attached to the side. Failing that most pool halls have a bridge for every other table so if you cant find it, don't be afraid to ask the drunk guys the next table over if they've seen it.

So, onto how to use it...

Firstly lets start with how to grip it. Inspect how you hold a pen. Most people hold a bridge like an oversized pen. So for me, this is with the cue snug against my webbing between the thumb and index finger. The thumb goes underneath, and the index and middle finger on top. The ring and pinky just curl up and rest against the side of the cue. For others they may have just the index on top or index, middle and ring fingers on top. Where do you hold it I hear you say? Not too far back and not too far forward. I like to leave about 4" from the end of the butt of the cue. If I hold it any further back the cue has a tendency to slide out as I follow through with the wrist action I use. A final word on the grip...don't have it too tight, don't have it too loose. Hold it like you would any other shot. As you follow through the fingers need to release, so when practicing just have the fingers on top slightly around the cue but as you follow through the fingers on top then should straighten. Hold an invisible sandwich, go to take a bite, STOP! Look at your fingers and thumb....thats how the finished position should sort of look. Ok, continue to eat the invisible sandwich.

Now I will move on to some common problems a lot of players face....

Problem number 1 - the bridge is under the cue. Bad move. The butt of the bridge should not be on the line of aim. Move it out of the way to the side. Place your hand on the bridges butt. This aids stability. You are more balanced, more weight is on the butt and thus the butt has a hard time sliding all over the table.

Problem number 2 - you are not playing darts, so why do you look like you're aiming a dart shot. The elbow on the shooting hand should be out to the side. Try getting the elbow up nice and high to the side. A little below the grip. The problem with a low elbow is it leads to scooping of the ball. Its harder to cue straight through. All this leads to is that tip scuffer of yours and the $30 chalk getting more use than they should.

Problem number 3 - jabby strokes. This is rife with weaker players using the bridge. Take your time as you would a normal stroke and keep it smooth. Slow back stroke and a smooth transition into the forward stroke gaining momentum all the way upto the cue ball.

Problem number 4 - bridge length. Too many have a very short bridge when using the mechanical bridge. It causes you to cue down on the ball and making it easier to miscue, or if you don't hit it as you planned, swerve the cue ball and miss. Lengthen the bridge to around your natural bridge length. The non jabby cue action you've developed from the previous paragraph needs some room to work with.

Problem number 5 - getting the head too close and nearly poking your eye out. Whilst its funny to watch someone do this, its not beneficial. Get that arm out I'm front and check with your warm up strokes that if you pull all the way back you wont hit yourself in the eye or throat with the cue.

Problem number 6 - not getting down low enough. People tend to stand too upright with the bridge. Although you cant get as low as normal, you can still get pretty damn low so get as low as possible and have the cue as level as possible to give you a bigger margin for error if you apply a little bit of English.

So, these are my tips on how to use the bridge. It is hard to develop a repeatable cue action with the bridge and the only advice i can give for this is to practice making it as straight as you can. If any of my tips hinder you being able to cue straight with it then throw that tip in the bin. I cant please and cater for everyone :-(

Cheers,

Since I was playing Snooker at 15... shooting with a crutch was something one got used to quickly. The old timers taught us.

Thanks for your ideas.