Cmon! The Americans are getting sharked!

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I also think it is bad when they boo every time a time out is called by a US player. They keep at it the whole time that the player is trying to figure out what to do.

They boo in baseball when they intentionally walk a player, or throw to first to hold a runner. In basketball they boo and try to distract the the player at the free throw line. I guess that is the home town advantage.

During the interview with Rodney after he won his singles match he made reference to the crowd and kind of made light of it by talking about how Earl would react to it.

All they need to add to the atmosphere that they are trying to create are scantedly dressed cheerleaders, and overhead scoreboards with the sound effects to go along with those ring girls.

🎱

Arete

Registered
I also think it is bad when they boo every time a time out is called by a US player. They keep at it the whole time that the player is trying to figure out what to do.

They boo in baseball when they intentionally walk a player, or throw to first to hold a runner. In basketball they boo and try to distract the the player at the free throw line. I guess that is the home town advantage.

During the interview with Rodney after he won his singles match he made reference to the crowd and kind of made light of it by talking about how Earl would react to it.

All they need to add to the atmosphere that they are trying to create are scantedly dressed cheerleaders, and overhead scoreboards with the sound effects to go along with those ring girls.

🎱

Everything you mentioned is why it's the best event of the year.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After all these years and you still don't get it. The Mosconi Cup is NOT your standard/normal tournament. The crowd plays a huge part in this event. The players must deliver the goods under the highest of pressure. If your players can't handle shooting under these conditions, perhaps they shouldn't be there and let other players take their place. Simple. It's always been this way, from day 1 back in 1994. You didn't cry that much back in the days when USA dominated the event,because your boys were winning. Winning and having the crowd against you were making victory taste even better. Now that you're losing and losing badly, you come up with all the excuses in the world. Morris interview after his match with Shaw is the perfect example how a player should embrace the conditions of play and not fight it and cry about it.

Oh; and how do they cry! :thumbup:

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off Id like to set two things straight.
1 I'm not American (Canadian) I'm just another fan who wants to see good pool.
2 I get it that the Europeans are stronger than the US these days.So what? That may change in the future.

What Id like to address is the obvious fact that no one seems to be talking about. The Americans are getting sharked!
I've never seen worse sharking ever and its been going on in England for years.
"Y'all" know what Im talking about right? So blatant - so obvious. And Americans put up with year after year. It has become normalized and expected.

Euro fans do manage to shut up when the player is down on the shot. But what about the constant yelping and holloring and woo-ing at the US player is between shots?
Isn't that also sharking?
Every time a US player,s cueball is not perfect there is a chorus of wooo's. And this year there's a new one - yelping like a coyote.
And of course you can hear a pin drop when a Euro player is at the table.

Has anyone ever seen Shane play worse? Its obvious why.
Personally I couldn't handle it .

A few years back Johnny Archer had to listen to - "Hey Johnny I want to f*** your wife" while he was at the table and his wife was in attendance.(JA turned to the crowd and said "Don't be disrespectful!").Nothing else was ever done about this.

Compare that with how much respect they show snooker players. If anyone did one tenth of that nonsense when Ronnie O'Sullivan is at the table he would be thrown out in an instant and then have his name dragged through the British tabloids for a week.

Michaela Tabb was the last one to stand up to these idiots. "That's enough! I'm not having any of it!!"

The most Nigel Rees ever does is lift up his hand.

I know that he Mosconi Cup has a reputation for being the most exciting pool show of the year but it would still be what it is without the sharking.

Ok that concludes my rant. Does anyone else feel the same way and should some action be taken to stop it.?
Good post.
I'm sure you'll read some stuff like, this isn't a real tourney or it's just for show.... dunno about you, but the thousands of dollars difference btw first and second, to a pool player, is a big friggin deal!
In regards to SVB, he tries too hard at the MC. He is very much a fan of pool and wants very badly to live up to the American dominance that his idols achieved. It's definitely breaking his heart right now....

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The crowds are a little rowdy...ref should definitely drop the hammer a bit more when the US team is shooting.

Rodney Morris was very classy after his win. I seem to recall that the crowd was still booing him. That's really pretty crappy, no matter where you're playing.

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crowds are making too much noise? Pool is not for the faint of heart. Plus USA is welcome to do the same every other year. If Efren can play his game on a broken table with worn cloth, crazy humidity and a bunch of chickens running around...

I am very much a USA fan, and I do think that at times the audience is too crazy/loud/irritating but I think the problem runs much deeper than this.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
2 I get it that the Europeans are stronger than the US these days.So what? That may change in the future.

What Id like to address is the obvious fact that no one seems to be talking about. The Americans are getting sharked!
"Y'all" know what Im talking about right? So blatant - so obvious. And Americans put up with year after year. It has become normalized and expected.

Euro fans do manage to shut up when the player is down on the shot. But what about the constant yelping and holloring and woo-ing at the US player is between shots?
Every time a US player,s cueball is not perfect there is a chorus of wooo's. And this year there's a new one - yelping like a coyote.

A few years back Johnny Archer had to listen to - "Hey Johnny I want to f*** your wife" while he was at the table and his wife was in attendance.(JA turned to the crowd and said "Don't be disrespectful!").Nothing else was ever done about this.

Compare that with how much respect they show snooker players. If anyone did one tenth of that nonsense when Ronnie O'Sullivan is at the table he would be thrown out in an instant and then have his name dragged through the British tabloids for a week.

Michaela Tabb was the last one to stand up to these idiots. "That's enough! I'm not having any of it!!"

I know that he Mosconi Cup has a reputation for being the most exciting pool show of the year but it would still be what it is without the sharking.

Ok that concludes my rant. Does anyone else feel the same way and should some action be taken to stop it.?

Ok. So what's the reason they lose when they play on US soil?

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crowds are making too much noise? Pool is not for the faint of heart. Plus USA is welcome to do the same every other year. If Efren can play his game on a broken table with worn cloth, crazy humidity and a bunch of chickens running around...

I am very much a USA fan, and I do think that at times the audience is too crazy/loud/irritating but I think the problem runs much deeper than this.
I agree.
The first thing the US needs to do, is never allow DOUCHEaine back on the team! Ever...
After that, patience, Sky and Bergman are getting there, just dunno if they have the heart of a champion yet. When you look at Darren, Neils, and SVB, it's all over them, will to win, the it factor, like The Glow in The Last Dragon... LMAO!

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. So what's the reason they lose when they play on US soil?

We lose because Europe has a better team, but the European crowd is kind of obnoxious. I actually like seeing a fired up crowd, and if you're a pro and can't play with a little distraction, you shouldn't be a pro. Even at the mediocre level I play at, stuff like this doesn't bother me. People walk in front of the table to grab a drink, guys standing around talking, guys sharking...whatever. If you're focused, you play your game and that's that.

But that doesn't mean the crowd can't show a little basic respect and leave personal stuff out of it.

But generally speaking, fired up and excited crowds are good!

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
I agree.
The first thing the US needs to do, is never allow DOUCHEaine back on the team! Ever...
After that, patience, Sky and Bergman are getting there, just dunno if they have the heart of a champion yet.

I love how you chose to leave SVB out of your post. :D

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconi cup

Mole Eye ur bang on no need for that sht from Appleton I lost respect for him .

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I agree, but they've been untimely loud and rude when Europeans have been at the table, too.

The Euros are just better at this format.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Mole Eye ur bang on no need for that sht from Appleton I lost respect for him .

Ever seen a Strickland celebration? Or the time he told Tony Drago he wanted to punch him in the head, after he lost his match to Tony?

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Ever seen a Strickland celebration? Or the time he told Tony Drago he wanted to punch him in the head, after he lost his match to Tony?

I wanted to punch Tony Drago too, I thought he was a jerk
I remember a few years ago when Rodney Morris wanted the euros to "Step outside".
It was probably the only time I smiled during that whole Mosconi Cup, sometimes it's the
only time the Americans show signs of life

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the yelling.

I love the booing.

I love the screaming.

I love the emotion.

I love Daz throwing his cue on the ground.

Pool needs more of those things, not less.

I only thing that's not to love about the Mosconi Cup is the play of the US.