The times they are a changing

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
In my younger years I was really invested in what was going on in professional sports. As I've aged I realized that ultimately I was wasting my time watching grown men and women live their lives and I was neglecting my own. I very rarely spend time watching games and I absolutely do not care who wins or loses. It just doesn't concern me any longer.

I tried to get into the “main” sports when I was younger just because they were always on tv and everyone seemed to be interested. It never worked and I’m glad because I see people waste so much time. Yet to them maybe it’s not a waste. I watch a lot of pool but I also play a whole lot more than I watch and I feel like it’s a real skill.

Tv, video games, insurance sales, lawyering...none of these are real to me, just made up stuff. Pool is a manipulation of real natural forces, and as good a time as any whilst we’re floating through space.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really,they have already changed. I was thinking about how pool was years ago,
and how people that didn't even play, knew of a few pool players, Miz, Mosconi
Fats, etc. Most people also knew the top players in a lot of sports, Golf, everyone
knew of Jack, Lee, Arnold, Gary Player, Ray Tom Watson and on and on.The
same with Tennis, McEnroe,Borg,Conners, Boxing,We knew the champions and
contenders in almost every division, Football, Baseball, Basketball. So I asked
people I work with if they could tell me the name of a current champion in any
sport, any sport. ZERO. Tiger Woods and the Williams sisters was the best any
could do. Most could not name one current baseball player, didn't know who won
the World Series, or even the Super Bowl for crying out loud. Some of them were
young, and have other interests, but quite a few were grown,with grown kids. It's
no surprise that pool has declined, But then I though, I can't name but a couple of
top tennis players (and have to really think about it) Boxing, Zilch, Golf, a few but
not many, and the same with all the others. Well I have so many things going on
now that I just don't keep up with sports like I used to. Well my parents had just
as much going on if not more but my Dad knew all about all sports,and my Mom
even knew quite a bit. We are raising our grandson,and I tell him all these stories
and the things we did and he just looks at me. I guess years from now he can
tell his grand kids,one time I killed fifty Zombies in one game.
jack

You make a great point, Jackpot. My daughter grew up playing soccer, then did Tae Kwon Doe for 6 years and earned her first degree black belt, and now she's into Lacrosse. She plays little games on her phone but I've never had a video game system in the house. I never played them, so by default I guess she never had much interest. I love that she enjoys playing on a sports team - and I tell her I would just like her to pursue her education and professional life, but always involve herself in some kind of recreational sports or games. Specifically I tell her to find her "billiards" (which she knows how much I enjoy when I can find the time to play).

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thanks, your the first person who hasn't called me an idiot in a while on here, I appreciate it.

I’m surprised you posted that....I’ve always considered you one of the elite posters.
....are you sure you’re doing the math?......one tends to remember the stings....
...but I would think they’re a very low percentage of any responses you’ve had.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m surprised you posted that....I’ve always considered you one of the elite posters.
....are you sure you’re doing the math?......one tends to remember the stings....
...but I would think they’re a very low percentage of any responses you’ve had.

Thanks, You are right.
It was only a couple, but I actually thought well of both of them, so I guess that's why it was so painful.
Wowsers, I hope I'm not getting to be a softie in my old age.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, your the first person who hasn't called me an idiot in a while on here, I appreciate it.

I think what he meant to say was that's a great post, for an idiot.

Just kidding!! I agree too. Except I can't stand Dylan. Just noise to me.

Doctor_J

Registered
Well, on the various sports cable networks right now you can find

1. Pickle Ball
2. Corn hole
3. Cliff Diving
4. fishing
5. Hunting
6. Poker
7. Rodeo
8. Westminster Masters Agility Championship
9. Strongman Competition
10. Westminster Kennel Dog Show

No pool, 3-cushion, Snooker. TV would go a long way.

Last edited: