OB Phoenix, Kielwood, Java shafts, etc.

terpdad

Registered
I think these shafts are attractive & they sound good in theory, but I have a couple Qs I was hoping someone could help me with.

1) I've read these shafts are "harder" b/c of the reduced moisture. Shouldn't that increase, instead of reduce, deflection? Either the shaft or the cue ball has to get out of the way, right?

2) Wouldn't the reduced weight throw off the balance of your existing cue?

Thanks in advance. Any other commentary on these shafts would be appreciated.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think these shafts are attractive & they sound good in theory, but I have a couple Qs I was hoping someone could help me with.

1) I've read these shafts are "harder" b/c of the reduced moisture. Shouldn't that increase, instead of reduce, deflection? Either the shaft or the cue ball has to get out of the way, right?

2) Wouldn't the reduced weight throw off the balance of your existing cue?

Thanks in advance. Any other commentary on these shafts would be appreciated.
LD comes from reducing shaft end mass. CF is stiff as hell but because of reduced sem they deflect less. Same principle applies to these torrified shafts. The reduced weight could be an issue. I've heard of people ordering longer shafts to get the balance right.

Last edited:

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have 2 (12.5mm) kielwood shafts from Pat Diveney and both come in the 3.7-3.8 weight range.... my revo (12.4) shaft comes in at 3.9. I can't really tell the difference in balance of the cue with any of them.

I will say that the revo deflects a little less than the Kielwood shafts, but the hit of the kielwood is better. Honestly I go back and forth with which one I play with and there is not much adjustment for aiming. I do like how the carbon shaft stays so slick, but sometimes I feel like the energy transfer is too high for the carbon and I can let my stroke out more with the kielwood shaft.

terpdad

Registered
I have 2 (12.5mm) kielwood shafts from Pat Diveney and both come in the 3.7-3.8 weight range.... my revo (12.4) shaft comes in at 3.9. I can't really tell the difference in balance of the cue with any of them.

I will say that the revo deflects a little less than the Kielwood shafts, but the hit of the kielwood is better. Honestly I go back and forth with which one I play with and there is not much adjustment for aiming. I do like how the carbon shaft stays so slick, but sometimes I feel like the energy transfer is too high for the carbon and I can let my stroke out more with the kielwood shaft.

I could be splitting hairs here, but when you say it has a little more deflection than the Revo, would you say it is on par w/ the 314-3 (what I have now) or that it's more in the HXT range? Not knocking the HXT, but it's worth asking since it's 1/2 the price of the Phoenix.

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I could be splitting hairs here, but when you say it has a little more deflection than the Revo, would you say it is on par w/ the 314-3 (what I have now) or that it's more in the HXT range? Not knocking the HXT, but it's worth asking since it's 1/2 the price of the Phoenix.

I would venture to say its close to the 314-3. they are very low deflection but not as low as the revo IMO